Player Watch Welcome to Richmond Pick 28 - Tyler Sonsie

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm biased but he did a lot that wouldn't have registered as a stat. Halved some contests late where he was undersized that were crucial so the footy didn't just rebound back.
Has to stay in for mine and I think he will based on the way Yze has been handling the kids this year.
Yeah, Ooze would've loved that halving he did in the final minutes where he was outnumbered 2-1 and had the wherewithal to trap the ball on the Sydney opponent and not let it get out. It was an excellent bit of play.

Yeah, Ooze would've loved that halving he did in the final minutes where he was outnumbered 2-1 and had the wherewithal to trap the ball on the Sydney opponent and not let it get out. It was an excellent bit of play.
Yeah that was awesome.

Didnt stand out much but did some really nice things and looked like he belongs at the level

As mentioned by others coming off a suspension with only 1 bfl touch game coming up against a great team with great midfield at a fast pace in a tight game he did his job well.

needs another 20-40 games to be the player he will be

He is a midfielder and we bring him in to play half forward. Comes in off a 30 touch game playing pure midfield.

This is not good development. Put him in the midfield or don't play him
He trained the high half forward role over preseason. I think they see that as his role at AFL level until a spot opens up in the midfield.

I agree with that but who for?
He trained the high half forward role over preseason. I think they see that as his role at AFL level until a spot opens up in the midfield.

Probably overracting but it has been a trend for a long time brigning in younger players and not giving them roles that suits them. Most notable anytime a mid comes in from VFL they play them half forward or on a flank.

I would rather him in the side than not but I don't think athletically he's athletically dynamic enough for that half forward role. You want the ball in his hands as much as possible for his foot skills not 7 or 8 times a game.

Ultimately, I don't think Dow makes it so I would be trying him in a CBA role next to Mcauliffe. Spots should also open up as long term McIntosh and Pickett need to vacate the wings.

Probably overracting but it has been a trend for a long time brigning in younger players and not giving them roles that suits them. Most notable anytime a mid comes in from VFL they play them half forward or on a flank.

I would rather them in the side than not but I don't think athletically he's dynamic enough for that half forward role. You want the ball in his hands as much as possible for his foot skills not 7 or 8 times a game.

Ultimately, I don't think Dow makes it so I would be trying him in a CBA role next to Mcauliffe. Spots should also open up as long term McIntosh and Pickett need to vacate the wings.
Thought the same about Dow myself, but he’s very creative when he gets the footy in contested situations. Not a panic merchant that just throws it on the boot at all. I’m warming to him, if Yze can fix his kicking even a little, he’ll be alright

I think he did a lot of little things yesterday. Needs to stay in but would love to see him in the middle instead of the half forward line. Just hard to find a place at the moment unless Bolton plays a permanent forward

I really liked his game and was surprised it was only 9 touches. Nearly kicked a nice goal but was involved and kicked it well when he had it.

I think the 7 forwards is a good mix we have with the 2 talls (Lynch & Balta) plus the medium Dusty (Lefau yeaterday), the 2 pressure forwards (Mansell & MRJ) and the 2 HHFs Campbell and Sonsie with clean hands and class.

Well worth persevering with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately for him, Martin probably replaces him

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Sweet skills ... He definitely can make it at the level ... see him being an absolute star by the time he hits 25 ...

Yze is big on continuity ... I think there will be enough forced omissions to accommodate Dusty ... whether Sonsie plays probably depends more on Graham ... if he is fit they will play him in SA ... he might surprise a few of us if he is coming in fully fit

Not a big impact on the game yesterday, but i'd love to see him remain in the side and allow him to build into the season, like we've allowed the likes of Maurice Mansell Seth & Dow build into the season. Yesterday was effectively his second game in 4 weeks after playing VFL last week. Can use the ball well off both feet and can also win his own footy. Definitely a spot in the line up for him.

Maybe better for long term that he Samson and KMc string some games together at VFL level and come in together?
I wouldn't include Ryan in that group. We haven't even worked out whether he is a forward, a ruck or a combination ruck forward. I just think that it's nice to pair up our future mids and fast-track their development in the seniors. AFL is a different game to VFL and I don't think it's good to keep young guys who are playing really well in the VFL there for too long. We have no excuses at the moment because Hopper is out and Prestia is out and so that is two positions for two young mids. Baker is better as a back or forward and not as a mid.

Steele Sideass role is where i want to see sonsie play in our team

But dont know if he has the tank sideass has to do that role
He doesn’t unfortunately imo but love him as a player. Classy and never rushed. Will be a very very good player for us, and Hawks will regret not taking him

Why not play him wing this week. The narrow ground (110m vs MCG 160m) means wingman do not venture wide/fat side/skinny side etc, but play more like midfielders. Geelong who's ground is similar do not play dedicated wingmen.
Geelong made a big play to get Isaac Smith who was as dedicated a wingman as it gets

Yes, true, but can you name another dedicated Geelong wingman in the last 10 years or so.
Sam Menegola
The guy they recruited Smith to specifically replace

Remove this Banner Ad

Back