Player Watch Welcome to Richmond Pick 28 - Tyler Sonsie

Remove this Banner Ad

He is a midfielder and we bring him in to play half forward. Comes in off a 30 touch game playing pure midfield.

This is not good development. Put him in the midfield or don't play him
Disagree, he needs to be able to play in a couple of positions giving the senior side more flexibility. However, it was his first game this year in the seniors so it's going to take some time.

Last edited:
To be honest, just as long as he is rolling out in the AFL team, I don't care where he plays. Just as long as he continues putting the necessary effort in.
He will eventually find his spot.

For me, eventually I'd like to see him in an outside midfield role where he is a first receiver from the likes of Taranto, Hopper, Dow. It will give him the opportunity to take a few steps and distribute the footy which is his greatest asset.

I don't mind the high half forward role for him though, just needs to keep getting involved in the play.

Doesnt Max Holmes play wing ?
Im sure i watched him running up/down the wing all game on monday
He's actually playing half back at the moment, was just informed on a main board thread, but he is a mid also, recruited as such,
But he does play wing also. Sort of what I am saying about Sonsie, a mid but has to be fitted in so why not the wing, which I think he is more suited to than half forward, especially if Dusty comes back.

Dropped for Baker this week, no brainer.

Once again his decision making lets him down but taking the risky option with every disposal. On the plus side his intensity has improved significantly and this was the biggest hurdle to overcome. A month in the VFL with that intensity and he should be knocking on the door for midfield minutes.

Dropped for Baker this week, no brainer.

Once again his decision making lets him down but taking the risky option with every disposal. On the plus side his intensity has improved significantly and this was the biggest hurdle to overcome. A month in the VFL with that intensity and he should be knocking on the door for midfield minutes.
Keeps his spot for mine. Was as involved as anyone in the last, just couldn't finish. Will benefit from being backed in.

I'll be disappointed if he's dropped.

It means something when a player like Sonsie is able to feature prominently when the whips are cracking in the last quarter.
He wasn't afraid to make himself the option. Yes he made some poor decisions but in an alternate timeline he has three goals by the final whistle and we are all singing his praises and there wouldn't be a question over his place next week. Unfortunately, due to some timely fingertips from the Saints desperate defending, that's not the case.

This might just be me, but I'd prefer a player that puts themselves in positions to affect the game and make mistakes while doing so than someone who goes missing when we need them most.

If he gets dropped, he gets dropped, I hope he doesn't and I don't think he will.

I thought he was ok. HTB against him deep in the last was rubbish compared to some. He'd barely picked it up. Don't get me wrong I think that should be HTB but I reckon half the time it's considered knocked out in the tackle or no prior.

I want him to get a few games in the seniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if it wasn't for a couple of finger nails would have won us the game
loved how he kept putting himself in places to do that, he really wanted it, hall mark of a winner
execution will get better will get better

if it wasn't for a couple of finger nails would have won us the game
loved how he kept putting himself in places to do that, he really wanted it, hall mark of a winner
execution will get better will get better
Yup
No doubt he would have a few individual efforts that he wouldn’t be satisfied with but he can also hold his head high

He had a crack, it’s all part of the development of a young player and what we need to understand that we can’t hang young players for

Hope he keeps his spot because he is still trending in the right direction

I thought he was ok again yesterday too. It doesn't look like he's playing in a role or position that is going to lead him to tearing a game apart or win a mountain of footy, but hopefully if he is given a good run at it (4-5 consecutive full games) we will start to see him come into his own a bit more.

As others have said he was bobbing up in the crucial moments late in yesterday's game and was only quelled by some great defensive efforts by the Saints. He is absolutely worth persisting with.

i'd prefer to have him in the side but it seems like he'd be the obvious option for baker to come back in, unless we drop mcauliffe( :sick: ) and play sonsie as the sub

because we're never dropping pickett and mcintosh for whatever reason

reckon there's a chance sonsie is saved depending on how dow's ankle is

think he's just one you gotta keep playing even if he has a down game, but once he has multiple in 3-4 weeks then perhaps let him stew in the vfl for a hot minute

Wouldn’t mind seeing him used off the back of stoppage as a sweeper at times
Just to give him some experience in the middle as well

But would mean he also needs to be accountable for a dangerous oppo mid playing goal side

It would've been an absolute nightmare trying to play his position yesterday on that ground. Half forwards need a bit of room to get up and back and can come into the game more in the 2nd half as more space appears. No chance of that happening yesterday. With everything so congested it's also far easier for defenders to leave their man and impact the contest or just stay at home as often there was already enough pressure around the ball. On bigger grounds that decision becomes a lot harder with more chance of a mistake.

that narrow oval caught a lot of players out and you really needed to be with your best foot skills on show. This is why Brown is such a weapon . The Sonz was still fighting to the end which was a lot more i could say for half a dozen other blokes. I'll be livid if he's dropped .

Last edited:
It means something when a player like Sonsie is able to feature prominently when the whips are cracking in the last quarter.
He wasn't afraid to make himself the option. Yes he made some poor decisions but in an alternate timeline he has three goals by the final whistle and we are all singing his praises and there wouldn't be a question over his place next week. Unfortunately, due to some timely fingertips from the Saints desperate defending, that's not the case.

This might just be me, but I'd prefer a player that puts themselves in positions to affect the game and make mistakes while doing so than someone who goes missing when we need them most.

If he gets dropped, he gets dropped, I hope he doesn't and I don't think he will.
Yze specifically mentioned Sonsie Lefau and Kosi in the presser and them needing to play more together to get the connection, so all 3 stay in.

MacIntosh has spudded up 5 weeks in a row ... he comes out ... thanks for your hard work over the years ... can someone pass around a hat so we can get him a gold watch or something.

If we have anything left over can people come up with some ideas for retirement gifts for Grimes and Prestia too

I suppose that a send off game is required so maybe pencil in the 25th of May against the Bombers ... we will need to find a way to lose that one if we want to go into the MSD with a better pick than them ... and Macca and Grimes will lose a dozen critical contests between them on a good night.

Feels like the midfield is pretty crowded right now. I'd love for Sonsie to get midfield minutes but it seems clear that they think he can offer us something at HFF.
If I was to be honest and unbiased, I think I'd prefer to put midfield development minutes into McAuliffe rather than Sonsie and I think we only have space for one of the two. McAuliffe has the ability to be an inside game breaker, which we need. Sonsie's best role would be an Errol Gulden type role but I don't think he can do that right now with where he is at.

I'm happy to see how he grows into this role but I am concerned that he could lose his spot this weekend to Baker. Unless one of Dow and McAuliffe are injured.

Feels like the midfield is pretty crowded right now. I'd love for Sonsie to get midfield minutes but it seems clear that they think he can offer us something at HFF.
If I was to be honest and unbiased, I think I'd prefer to put midfield development minutes into McAuliffe rather than Sonsie and I think we only have space for one of the two. McAuliffe has the ability to be an inside game breaker, which we need. Sonsie's best role would be an Errol Gulden type role but I don't think he can do that right now with where he is at.

I'm happy to see how he grows into this role but I am concerned that he could lose his spot this weekend to Baker. Unless one of Dow and McAuliffe are injured.
Agreed, outside of Prestia, we havent carried pure mids only for some time.

TT seems to be ear marked as pure mid
Dow pure mid
Hops pure mid

The above certainly hinders our flexibility and makes it harder to squeeze guys in IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back