Welcome Welcome Jaeger O'Meara!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Any chance someone can compile a list of WA people who went to GC/GWS with early picks?
Purely to pretend in an alternate reality without these clubs we could've snagged a few of them

Jesus I didn't even realise they had that level of talent! Based on this I feel like a b22 of Gold Coast would almost be invincible!
Few decent key position players too, Tom lynch, Peter Wright , Dixon, Steven May.

The list goes on qith talent that has come and gone from GC. The sun's have really been a failure.

The expansion was interesting. Gold Coast probably got more talented players but, under Sheedy, GWS did a better job developing them. The problem the Giants had was retaining them during the period they needed to - around 2015-17. They missed their chance in 2016, losing a home prelim to the eventual premiers when they were clearly the better side. The 2017 GF thrashing ended their period of contention.

While the Suns currently have a better list, I'm still backing GWS, with two high draft picks this year, to be back in serious contention more quickly.

Any chance someone can compile a list of WA people who went to GC/GWS with early picks?
Purely to pretend in an alternate reality without these clubs we could've snagged a few of them
I think they’ve all been mentioned tbh. When you think about drafts since like 2013 and the lack of WA players going top 5, it was a strange little coincidence when the expansion clubs came in and WA had several years with multiple top 5 rated talent in Martin, Hogan, Cogs, JOM, Swallow and Bennell

God Jack Martin is/was over rated. Never saw anything other than over rated hack with him

The expansion was interesting. Gold Coast probably got more talented players but, under Sheedy, GWS did a better job developing them. The problem the Giants had was retaining them during the period they needed to - around 2015-17. They missed their chance in 2016, losing a home prelim to the eventual premiers when they were clearly the better side. The 2017 GF thrashing ended their period of contention.

While the Suns currently have a better list, I'm still backing GWS, with two high draft picks this year, to be back in serious contention more quickly.

Two things on that.

1. GWS had the advantage of coming in to the league second, meaning they started stealing the best picks from GC. GC were further ahead in development so GWS got the best picks.

2. GWS had a better plan. GC got prime mature aged players like abblett and bock, who were good for the short term but were gonna be over the edge once they started competing.
GWS went and got younger players like Ward and Davis, leaving them weaker in the short term, stock piling more picks, while better in the long term because those players were still around while they were actually competing.

Under Sheedy? He was boned after two seasons and 3-41. Just how much developing did they squeeze in in that time?

Last edited:
Under Sheedy? He was boned after two seasons and 3-41. Just how much developing did the squeeze in in that time?
He was there for the promotional side as well. But he was always one of the better developers of young talent. Of course he had that record, he had no good mature players.

It's not about concessions, but about draft selections and development, and then about professionalism.
GWS head a much better hand to deal with as far as the concessions go.

That initial gap generally only widens under the blast furnace that is competing in the AFL.

Gold Coast also operated as a bit of a template for GWS to follow, offering some lessons for the early stages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure GWS got better concessions than GC when entering the comp.
The big difference was that GWS was given the mini draft picks to trade. They ended up trading them for around picks 2, 3, 4, 10, and a couple of future first rounders.

Although both teams could select some 17 year old players the year before they entered the comp, GWS had a lot better crop. Jeremy Cameron, Treloar, Shiel, Hombsch, and Wilson compared to Brandon Matera, Trent McKenzie, and Maverick Weller.

The club needs to make a tough call on Jaegar. He is clearly not the right fit for us and it's also kind of disrespectful the way Jaegar has been treated as sub. It doesn't help that he keeps other players out.

The club needs to make a tough call on Jaegar. He is clearly not the right fit for us and it's also kind of disrespectful the way Jaegar has been treated as sub. It doesn't help that he keeps other players out.
He just needs to get his hands dirty for mine. Bruise free footy player. Needs to be dropped to get the fire in the belly..

In saying that he wasn’t the worst last night and the bloke they brought on was a deer in headlights unfortunately (Erasmus should be played fwd only atm)

He just needs to get his hands dirty for mine. Bruise free footy player. Needs to be dropped to get the fire in the belly..

In saying that he wasn’t the worst last night and the bloke they brought on was a deer in headlights unfortunately (Erasmus should be played fwd only atm)
He is not a half forward, he is an inside mid so similar problem to Ras/Brodie/Johnson/Simpson. He signed a 4 year contract and is in his 30s. Is it worth keeping those names mentioned about out?

He is not a half forward, he is an inside mid so similar problem to Ras/Brodie/Johnson/Simpson. He signed a 4 year contract and is in his 30s. Is it worth keeping those names mentioned about out?
Bell was football supremo when JOM was given four years when we already had players of his type Ie Brody
Thinking Bell made some very poor calls over his tenure

I must be the only one who loves him - I see him yapping to our young guys out there all the time

Then again, this same rhetoric was used against Fyfe last season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back