VFL VFL Round 5 v Essendon. Saturday April 27. 2:05pm @ Victoria Park

Remove this Banner Ad

I either get in trouble for overhyping them (Bianco) or being too critical (Long). Only a few weeks ago, I made comments that Long would end up on an AFL list.

The problem all throughout Long’s career even before he was drafted was disposal efficiency.
His disposal efficiency is a completely seperate issue to him burning a team mate in a better position for goal

He is 195cm so would take awhile for his Body Bigger and Stronger
His body is already pretty big, but regardless of that he should be able to accumulate more playing through the midfield at this point. It’s a genuine concern at this point.
His disposal was also very questionable today but he wasn’t alone in that.

Is Sullivan a chance to play in the next few weeks? I haven't seen much of the VFL games. I'd love to think we could inject some fresh legs into the middle.

Is Sullivan a chance to play in the next few weeks? I haven't seen much of the VFL games. I'd love to think we could inject some fresh legs into the middle.
He was an emergency for anzac day, but think only Fin put his hand up after today.
Sullivan just has to keep performing week to week, and things will come. Especially once injuries happen.

I don’t understand why it’s so difficult for us to give Harrison, Macrae, Sullivan, Reef and AJ more game time in the seniors for extended periods without making them sub or dropping them after a week.

Selection integrity is going to be one critical soon for Fly if he doesn’t start to make hard calls.

I could easily bring in 3-4 players based on their performance against Essendon let alone their seasons to date.

And that's why you're not a selector.

I don’t understand why it’s so difficult for us to give Harrison, Macrae, Sullivan, Reef and AJ more game time in the seniors for extended periods without making them sub or dropping them after a week.

Selection integrity is going to be one critical soon for Fly if he doesn’t start to make hard calls.

I could easily bring in 3-4 players based on their performance against Essendon let alone their seasons to date.
I think you raise some interesting points here.

There are maybe some hard calls that have to be made - Sidey has another week to show why he deserves to hold his spot, Howe is on-notice. Rumour on Nick's that Leppa put the hard work on a few to perform or risk banishment. Yet to know validity.

Harrison has had game time and his ANZAC Day performance was very good. Can't complain too much about what he did in limited time. Macrae, challenging. Had some off-weeks but this week was good. Sullivan, good. Reef interesting. AJ would need more than one performance to put his hand-up and at AFL level, the defence to gain confidence then go forward trick probably doesn't come out.

I would love to take WHE, Crispy and Steele and say right, you're now all competing for the same spot on the right wing, and the two of you that aren't getting a game are going to be helping develop our young list down in the VFL.

Bit early in the season to be employing the "play the kids" methodology, we're still trying to defend a premiership.

I thought Dean was really good again today. He made a few mistakes but he's certainly finding the ball and intercepting very well. If anything, he looks a bit underdone footy wise. If he keeps on the park, he should be able to build himself up to be football ready, if that makes sense

He looks good with ball in hand, but every defense he plays in seems to leak goals. Perhaps just a coincidence

What rubbish. Yes, we played a bloke who offered nothing and did nothing throughout an incredibly tight final series.

Make it make sense.
You've been disputing the cold hard facts that Cox plays 2 or 3 good games for the year while the rest of them are split between average and complete garbage ad nauseum and you want me to "make sense" ?

yeah nah

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you raise some interesting points here.

There are maybe some hard calls that have to be made - Sidey has another week to show why he deserves to hold his spot, Howe is on-notice. Rumour on Nick's that Leppa put the hard work on a few to perform or risk banishment. Yet to know validity.

Harrison has had game time and his ANZAC Day performance was very good. Can't complain too much about what he did in limited time. Macrae, challenging. Had some off-weeks but this week was good. Sullivan, good. Reef interesting. AJ would need more than one performance to put his hand-up and at AFL level, the defence to gain confidence then go forward trick probably doesn't come out.
In the last four matches, we’ve secured 14 out of 16 premiership points.

We are not at the “hard call” stage.

and replace who?

He looks good with ball in hand, but every defense he plays in seems to leak goals. Perhaps just a coincidence
Dean is an outright spud, he cant compete one on one and turns over ball like he means it, wont be seen in seniors unless we have a disastrous run of injuries .. looks good with ball in hand .. did you actually watch the game he was atrocious!!!!

Dean is an outright spud, he cant compete one on one and turns over ball like he means it, wont be seen in seniors unless we have a disastrous run of injuries .. looks good with ball in hand .. did you actually watch the game he was atrocious!!!!
He did look good with ball “in hand”, it’s when it “left his hand” that was the issue yesterday 😂. But he has many friends. Ive never seen worse inside 50 kicking, and it wasn’t even bombs. It was low kicks straight to Essendon players

That's a whole week away. Anything could happen by then.

Just put more of this around him

Baby Animals Cat GIF

He's a good prospect. Think he needs to get stronger though.

When you see him live, he’s pretty solid, and not at all skinny. I was right behind him for parts of the game yesterday, and was impressed by his size. Although that’s not necessarily the same as the ‘stronger’ you identify.

That's very harsh. Dean is getting more than enough of the ball for the only tall defender we have. He has been intercepting just fine. The only thing lacking is the fact that he hasn't played for 2 years. The club think enough of him to play him in the first 2 rounds. Dean will continue to get stronger each week he plays and wouldn't be surprised if he plays more games this year. Spud is a really s**t word.

Maggos getting done 2 weeks in a row by 2 bottom sides in the VFL. No one apart from McRae demands promotion and we all know by now how he performs at AFL level.
The only reason I'm not stressing cause No Spin reckons our future is bright.
the more negative posters with our developing and fringe players get a serving on here but they seem to be more accurate then the ones that ridiculously overrate the same players.

Maggos getting done 2 weeks in a row by 2 bottom sides in the VFL. No one apart from McRae demands promotion and we all know by now how he performs at AFL level.
The only reason I'm not stressing cause No Spin reckons our future is bright.

This is what you embarrassingly said about Markov’s contribution last year in post #418 above.

“getting away with murder without being asked to perform any task of note”

So I’m not sure I need to take any notice of your shallow depth of critical analysis.

Last edited:
And that's why you're not a selector.
Lol that’s why we are continuing to accept sub standard performances
You need to have selection integrity ..we have clearance issues all year and we have 2 guys in the VFL doing what we are screaming out for in that area of the ground.

If we don’t start to make the hard calls, we will sit here and waste the entire season

Lol that’s why we are continuing to accept sub standard performances
You need to have selection integrity ..we have clearance issues all year and we have 2 guys in the VFL doing what we are screaming out for in that area of the ground.

If we don’t start to make the hard calls, we will sit here and waste the entire season
Coburg v coll

IMG_0205.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back