VFL VFL Round 5 v Essendon. Saturday April 27. 2:05pm @ Victoria Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Kappa, to me Reef seems to have a bit of talent ( above many of his teamates today ), i'd really like him tried in spots other than a 3rd tall. Just feel he has enough to become a solid AFL player but 3rd tall is a really tough gig and with our list profile if he could become part of our best 23/24 surely, its a win.
Reckon he has the physical atrributes for a 3rd tall but has he got that ability to square contests or physical presence/ hunger for the contest? It's worth a shot
Does not help that our only 2 KPF's we have in Kreuger and McStay are both Injured

Not really. Plenty of senior AFL players are guilty of doing the exact same thing. No idea why you seem so keen to sink the boots in to certain players at every opportunity.
I either get in trouble for overhyping them (Bianco) or being too critical (Long). Only a few weeks ago, I made comments that Long would end up on an AFL list.

The problem all throughout Long’s career even before he was drafted was disposal efficiency.

Allan has been disappointing so far. Genuinely thought we’d be seeing more from him after a year of development, but he seems to just be a slightly more physically developed version of what we saw 12 months ago.

He is 195cm so would take awhile for his Body Bigger and Stronger

Positives: Macrae, maybe Jiath.

Negatives: Begg is the worst ruckmen in the VFL
Jakob Ryan is just i don't know
Reef is not a forward
Not sure why we drafted Bytel
DeMattia looked lost
Allan does not do enough
Markov Johnson and Carmichael are not up to it
While it may ultimately be that Markov was in form and the right place at the right time for a year he played today with heavily bandaged ribs and was one of our best against Coburg

I don’t understand why it’s so difficult for us to give Harrison, Macrae, Sullivan, Reef and AJ more game time in the seniors for extended periods without making them sub or dropping them after a week.

Selection integrity is going to be one critical soon for Fly if he doesn’t start to make hard calls.

I could easily bring in 3-4 players based on their performance against Essendon let alone their seasons to date.

17 listed players today plus Long, Hutchinson and Crocker............but blame the VFL lads...........spare me

Now reconsidering thanks for the facts.👍
We did have a decent amount of players from our AFL list in the side today, and I thought we would have enough going for us to get up, but it wasn't to be. The lack of key position types and of a genuine ruckman cost us once again. There were 15 from the AFL list playing (9 of them have played seniors, 6 haven't), while 8 VFL list players played (2 of them have played AFL football).

Meanwhile, Essendon had 12 from their AFL list in the side (plus another 3 from the VFL list who have played senior football). Having a couple of well established senior players in Guelfi and Shiel in the side, plus a dominant ruckman, probably tipped things in the Bombers favour.

I forgot Sullivan's goal. He was a bit disappointing today, but looked better up forward if he could capitalise on his kicking for goal
Pity he didn’t get those 2 other shots on goal, but he looked threatening forward. That extra string to his bow might be the difference between an AFL debut or not.

I just don't think we should be scapegoating the VFL lads who start every quarter on the bench, don't attend any centre bounces and have minimal game time
I agree. I rarely watch the VFL due to limited time and restricted internet access while travelling. I read the thread quite often though and appreciate the feedback of those who go to games or watch stream regularly. Today I decided to watch the stream and see how my impressions compared to others as there appears to be a fair bit of negativity about our depth. I thought the query about our VFL players was something worth considering, as was yours and the follow up post regarding the lack of AFL exposure of our listed players.
This is what I like about BF.
I really found it difficult to come to any steadfast conclusions about players based on what I saw today but I thought I’d throw my hat in the ring and post my impressions. After reading the stats Jen posted I was again surprised how some of those impressions seemed at odds with the stat sheet.
I made the point that it’s a team game in the end and overall team performance effects our impressions of individual players. So no I don’t think we should be scapegoating anyone.
Bloody long winded reply. Sorry

The only big role he played in our flag last year was getting away with murder without being asked to perform any task of note, doing all the cool things on social media and talking a massive piss out of carlscum on mad Monday.
What rubbish. Yes, we played a bloke who offered nothing and did nothing throughout an incredibly tight final series.

Make it make sense.

I dunno but my feeling is that our depth or lack of is very similar to last year when we won the ultimate. We missed McStay for a large chunk of games in addition to the big one, lost both our ruckmen at the same time, Kreuger constantly injured, Macrae developing, Ash down on form, Reef underdone and unavailable due to injury for the finals, Adams injured at the end etc. We worked through all these scenarios to win a flag. Only real difference is Frampton now holding down a spot due to Murphy’s retirement. Don’t think things are as bleak as some are suggesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t understand why it’s so difficult for us to give Harrison, Macrae, Sullivan, Reef and AJ more game time in the seniors for extended periods without making them sub or dropping them after a week.

Selection integrity is going to be one critical soon for Fly if he doesn’t start to make hard calls.

I could easily bring in 3-4 players based on their performance against Essendon let alone their seasons to date.

Macrae can only play as a centre square mid and has mostly been a liability at AFL level to date. We can’t carry him in there if he can’t play to the required level. It’s like playing one player short in the most important part of the ground. It’s nearly impossible to win matches in that situation.

Totally different though for players who can be brought in to play in the pockets, on the flanks or even the wings. Quiet games in those positions are not as disastrous as going missing in the centre square.

HH showed genuine spark on Anzac Day, having a big impact in just one quarter. He seized his opportunity and hopefully now gets an extended run to show his full capabilities. Hopefully some of the others you named can follow his lead.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Macrae can only play as a centre square mid and has mostly been a liability at AFL level to date. We can’t carry him in there if he can’t play to the required level. It’s like playing one player short in the most important part of the ground. It’s nearly impossible to win matches in that situation.

Totally different though for players who can be brought in to play in the pockets, on the flanks or even the wings. Quiet games in those positions are not as disastrous as going missing in the centre square.

HH showed genuine spark on Anzac Day, having a big impact in just one quarter. He seized his opportunity and hopefully now gets an extended run to show his full capabilities. Hopefully some of the others you named can follow his lead.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Macrae also showed spark and moments of skill in his first game as sub this year.

What will happen is Harrison will get another game as sub and doesn't have much of an impact this time in his 30 min and then be dropped.

I don't understand how we expect to develop the Reefs/Macraes/Harrison's if we don't give them a good 3-4 game block where we back them in and they have time to settle.

I thought Dean was really good again today. He made a few mistakes but he's certainly finding the ball and intercepting very well. If anything, he looks a bit underdone footy wise. If he keeps on the park, he should be able to build himself up to be football ready, if that makes sense

I thought Dean was really good again today. He made a few mistakes but he's certainly finding the ball and intercepting very well. If anything, he looks a bit underdone footy wise. If he keeps on the park, he should be able to build himself up to be football ready, if that makes sense
He was good whenever he wasn’t kicking.. turned it over a few times and made the wrong decision, but that can be fixed. Most players missed targets today. Outside of his kicking I agree, thought he was solid down back without much support aerially. Reckon if eyre can get back on the park will help dean play his intercept game

He's a good prospect. Think he needs to get stronger though.

The only big role he played in our flag last year was getting away with murder without being asked to perform any task of note, doing all the cool things on social media and talking a massive piss out of carlscum on mad Monday.
Gee - that makes Noble look completely incompetent given Markov took his spot.

I would love to take WHE, Crispy and Steele and say right, you're now all competing for the same spot on the right wing, and the two of you that aren't getting a game are going to be helping develop our young list down in the VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back