VFL VFL Round 5 v Essendon. Saturday April 27. 2:05pm @ Victoria Park

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like Reef could be a really good 2nd/3rd tall defender and would actually get involved in the play way more often.

So often as a key forward he has zero impact on the game
Kappa, to me Reef seems to have a bit of talent ( above many of his teamates today ), i'd really like him tried in spots other than a 3rd tall. Just feel he has enough to become a solid AFL player but 3rd tall is a really tough gig and with our list profile if he could become part of our best 23/24 surely, its a win.
Reckon he has the physical atrributes for a 3rd tall but has he got that ability to square contests or physical presence/ hunger for the contest? It's worth a shot

you cannot be serious.....that was nearly a full AFL listed team out there today, plus you all keep banging on about Long and Hutchinson going in the mid season draft.....
Why woukd ex AFL players wat to play VFL when they can get cash playing local footy?

Full listed AFL team? How many of those guys have actually played senior AFL footy? Majority of the guys playing today may be AFL listed, but haven't played senior footy, have they?
Hutchinson is a project player, who needs about 2 years of VFL footy and Long is a player with a handful of AFL games to his name, who would be a backup senior mid at a club.

Full listed AFL team? How many of those guys have actually played senior AFL footy? Majority of the guys playing today may be AFL listed, but haven't played senior footy, have they?
Hutchinson is a project player, who needs about 2 years of VFL footy and Long is a player with a handful of AFL games to his name, who would be a backup senior mid at a club.
Another good point.

Note to self: you’re best off sticking to blind faith rather than your development analysis😬

Last edited:
Full stats are updated.

Macrae - 31 disposals, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 6 clearances, 1 goal
DAYLIGHT
Lane - 23 disposals, 8 marks
Long - 22 disposals, 6 marks, 11 tackles, 3 clearances
Sullivan - 21 disposals, 5 tackles, 5 clearances

Dean - 21 disposals, 6 marks
Johnson - 20 disposals, 8 marks, 2 goals
Ryan - 18 disposals, 8 marks
TJ - 17 disposals, 6 marks
Bytel - 17 disposals, 2 tackles
Allan - 17 disposals, 3 tackles
Richards - 16 disposals, 1 goal
Carmichael - 16 disposals, 2 goals, 5 marks
Markov - 14 disposals, 4 marks

Sparkes - 13 disposals, 2 clearances, 3 marks
Reef - 13 disposals, 1 clearance, 6 kicks
Crocker - 13 disposals, 7 marks, 1 goal
Begg - 13 disposals, 4 marks, 11 hitouts
Hutchinson - 10 disposals, 2 goals, 5 marks
Glover - 10 disposals, 2 marks
DeMattia - 10 disposals, 3 marks
Parker - 8 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles

Positives: Macrae, maybe Jiath.

Negatives: Begg is the worst ruckmen in the VFL
Jakob Ryan is just i don't know
Reef is not a forward
Not sure why we drafted Bytel
DeMattia looked lost
Allan does not do enough
Markov Johnson and Carmichael are not up to it
Markov did play a big role in our premiership. I'd say he is up to it.

Kappa, to me Reef seems to have a bit of talent ( above many of his teamates today ), i'd really like him tried in spots other than a 3rd tall. Just feel he has enough to become a solid AFL player but 3rd tall is a really tough gig and with our list profile if he could become part of our best 23/24 surely, its a win.
Reckon he has the physical atrributes for a 3rd tall but has he got that ability to square contests or physical presence/ hunger for the contest? It's worth a shot
Agree with you both he is being wasted currently. Showed a bit in 2nd half when put around the ball, could use his strength and speed. Needs to be given more opportunity to do this, similar to how de goey was used earlier in his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's moments like that which explain why he isn't on a list.
Not really. Plenty of senior AFL players are guilty of doing the exact same thing. No idea why you seem so keen to sink the boots in to certain players at every opportunity.

Allan has been disappointing so far. Genuinely thought we’d be seeing more from him after a year of development, but he seems to just be a slightly more physically developed version of what we saw 12 months ago.

Markov did play a big role in our premiership. I'd say he is up to it.
The only big role he played in our flag last year was getting away with murder without being asked to perform any task of note, doing all the cool things on social media and talking a massive piss out of carlscum on mad Monday.

Nice.
This makes me happy.
Starting him in defence was a good move. Helped him really get in to the game before his shift forward in the second half

Full stats are updated.

Macrae - 31 disposals, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 6 clearances, 1 goal
DAYLIGHT
Lane - 23 disposals, 8 marks
Long - 22 disposals, 6 marks, 11 tackles, 3 clearances
Sullivan - 21 disposals, 5 tackles, 5 clearances

Dean - 21 disposals, 6 marks
Ryan - 18 disposals, 8 marks
TJ - 17 disposals, 6 marks
Bytel - 17 disposals, 2 tackles
Allan - 17 disposals, 3 tackles
Richards - 16 disposals, 1 goal
Carmichael - 16 disposals, 2 goals, 5 marks
Markov - 14 disposals, 4 marks

Sparkes - 13 disposals, 2 clearances, 3 marks
Reef - 13 disposals, 1 clearance, 6 kicks
Crocker - 13 disposals, 7 marks, 1 goal
Begg - 13 disposals, 4 marks, 11 hitouts
Hutchinson - 10 disposals, 2 goals, 5 marks
Glover - 10 disposals, 2 marks
DeMattia - 10 disposals, 3 marks
Parker - 8 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles

I think Sullivan kicked a goal too, in Q4.

Yep, Fin’s stats were strong again, although he did go missing in Q4 when the game needed to be won. By contrast, Q4 was Sullivan’s best, including three scoring shots.

No doubt we’ll give Fin another chance or two in the Seniors when resting one of our old timers or injury strikes. He really needs to prove himself in the big league now. We can’t keep carrying him indefinitely in the centre square at AFL level. His next stint will bring him up to ~20 senior games. It’s now or never.

If Fin doesn’t grab his chance this time, it’s time to see what Sullivan, Allan and DeMattia can do at Senior level.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Was at the game.

I feel that this team is capable of better. This week and last we had 4/5 new ins and I imagine limited time in training all together as a group. Chemistry yet to be built.

Still too soon for me to single out those that will not make it at AFL level, going to give it 4 more games before I name anyone but with our aging list we certainly need more than a couple.

I did like Johnson at full back then we needed him forward. He took some good grabs.
That the Problem with Big Numbers of Changes to the VFL List every season

I think Sullivan kicked a goal too, in Q4.

Yep, Fin’s stats were strong again, although he did go missing in Q4 when the game needed to be won. By contrast, Q4 was Sullivan’s best, including three scoring shots.

No doubt we’ll give Fin another chance or two in the Seniors when resting one of our old timers or injury strikes. He really needs to prove himself in the big league now. We can’t keep carrying him indefinitely in the centre square at AFL level. His next stint will bring him up to ~20 senior games. It’s now or never.

If Fin doesn’t grab his chance this time, it’s time to see what Sullivan, Allan and DeMattia can do at Senior level.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I forgot Sullivan's goal. He was a bit disappointing today, but looked better up forward if he could capitalise on his kicking for goal.

Fin clearly our best, but he couldn't drag the team over the line. He needed more help and there was a big gap between him and the next. He couldn't have done much more though.

I agree though, he needs to sieze his afl opportunity soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back