VFL VFL Round 5 v Essendon. Saturday April 27. 2:05pm @ Victoria Park

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon they should give me a 4 week block to find out if I'm up to it. I might play better at AFL - some blokes just do - I'm not really sure who they are - but it would be worth finding it if I'm one of them.
yea I’m guessing if you’re not matching it against sparkies and dunny divers, you’re going to find it hard going against seasoned afl pros.

I was hoping Collingwood would’ve drafted Visentini (203 cm) in the 2023 draft, now seeing him play I’m disappointed we didn’t.

Oh that’s right we couldn’t have, senior positions are full; couldn’t just have picked up Joe Richards in the rookie draft instead of seniors? 😛

I know Jesus is big on Allan, but I just keep waiting for that game where you see why he was touted as a first rounder, and I’m just not. Only second season sure, but just struggling to see that point of difference atm.

TJ on the other hand is showing signs of composure and skills already in his first couple of games.

Hopefully eyre isn’t to far away, we lack talls at both ends

I know Jesus is big on Allan, but I just keep waiting for that game where you see why he was touted as a first rounder, and I’m just not. Only second season sure, but just struggling to see that point of difference atm.

TJ on the other hand is showing signs of composure and skills already in his first couple of games.
very bullish on TJ he looks to be a player

How did he go manic. I didn't watch it. He took a fair few marks, were they sideways passes or intercepts from positioning?
Didn't see him do anything to speak of in the first half, then I spent the next hour walking the NDIS beagle, occasionally checking this thread for updates. I didn't see positioning or intercepts from him in the first half. Manic no doubt kept a keen eye on every player of importance and will compile a lengthy report for us to feast upon later.

yea I’m guessing if you’re not matching it against sparkies and dunny divers, you’re going to find it hard going against seasoned afl pros.
We got a footy out on Christmas Day and I've got my niece covered and I reckon I could beat my nephew if they banned running. I think I'd go alright. I would have stood in the goal square and kicked 4 against Port.

First time watching the VFL this year albeit via the stream.
Macrae was good after half time ( not sure about inside mid though).
AJ looked ok down back, would’ve left him there for the duration.
Begg is a competitor but tough gig as undersized in the ruck, he did well considering.
Allan seems to have a good tank, relatively clean and has some smarts. Still quite skinny which surprised me given some descriptions of his physical attributes.
Reef was better in the second half, like his attack on the the footy and player.
Ryan got a bit of it, still learning to defend though.
Jiath looks promising.
Markov quiet.
Carmichael ok
Dean still working on his one on one contests.
Parker and Richards didn’t stand out.
Team overall looks unbalanced without any key backs or forwards or genuine ruck.
Never going to win games with those footskills going into the forward fifty and kicking for goal was pretty ordinary.

Didn't see him do anything to speak of in the first half, then I spent the next hour walking the NDIS beagle, occasionally checking this thread for updates. I didn't see positioning or intercepts from him in the first half. Manic no doubt kept a keen eye on every player of importance and will compile a lengthy report for us to feast upon later.
I'll report him and expect a thread ban if I don't get a detailed description.

We got a footy out on Christmas Day and I've got my niece covered and I reckon I could beat my nephew if they banned running. I think I'd go alright. I would have stood in the goal square and kicked 4 against Port.
well you got me covered, I tried running with the dog and popped a calf

Ed Allan 1 touch in this quarter, which was a handpass to an Essendon player

Reef Mcinnes is struggling to have any impact as a 4th year player against bad VFL sides.

Aiden Begg is an easy delist

Joe Richards is an easy delist

Sullivan is an easy delist

Bytel is an easy delist

Johnson and Markov as old experienced AFL players should be dominating against this low quality opponents

Demattia I won't say anything because it's his first game

Not sure what Jakob Ryan is, but he ain't a good defender.
RIP depth.

McInnes keep, Richards keep, Sullivan keep, Bytel keep, Allan keep.

Calm your farm.

How did he go manic. I didn't watch it. He took a fair few marks, were they sideways passes or intercepts from positioning?
He struggled as I expected but there were snippets of his pace and evasive skills. We're going to need him to play more than 1 game before anyone can make an assessment

Positives: Macrae, maybe Jiath.

Negatives: Begg is the worst ruckmen in the VFL
Jakob Ryan is just i don't know
Reef is not a forward
Not sure why we drafted Bytel
DeMattia looked lost
Allan does not do enough
Markov Johnson and Carmichael are not up to it
DeMattia was debuting. Think we can cut him slack.

Bytel is there as a wing player. Running, tank, skills, etc. One down game on an otherwise good season.

Don't be ridiculous about Reef. He's a forward and his AFL form has shown this. Few weeks ago he had three goals.

Positives: Macrae, maybe Jiath.

Negatives: Begg is the worst ruckmen in the VFL
Jakob Ryan is just i don't know
Reef is not a forward
Not sure why we drafted Bytel
DeMattia looked lost
Allan does not do enough
Markov Johnson and Carmichael are not up to it
I think you need to calm down. Seriously.

You seem to going off your rocker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shooting for the stars.

Big. Tested really fast. Son of a gun. Looks a nice kick.

Injured so no junior form line. Hoping for a steal. But it doesn't look like we've got one. Really hard to see a strength.

Jakob Ryan has to be the most vanilla player on the planet. Not a great mark, not fast, not great in the air, not strong.

What ARE his strengths?
He looks hopeless to me.

Can’t for the life of me work out what Hiney’s looking at.

Still very Skinny and might take 2 seasons to get Big Enough Body

Not everyone dominates at VFL Level to get a AFL Game

Would be nice if we had a 200 gamer helping the team out there. Shiel helped them across the line.

We had our opportunities. Crocker just couldn't put it through the sticks
Those ones Sullivan missed too. Multiple opportunities. Essendon put it on when it counted.

Thought we looked good in patches, but then poor in others. Need to put together a 4 quarter performance.

Fin was our best, he was damaging around stoppage and in the middle. That goal he kicked was nice too.
Ryan had a good first game back.
Parker, had a quieter game, but had some nice defensive moments.
Harry did a couple nice things for his first game.

Reef played a bit through the midfield in the 2nd half, and had some good moments.

Johnson looked better down back, but then they put him forward and he looked better. More confidence?

Would be nice if we had a 200 gamer helping the team out there. Shiel helped them across the line.

Those ones Sullivan missed too. Multiple opportunities. Essendon put it on when it counted.

Thought we looked good in patches, but then poor in others. Need to put together a 4 quarter performance.

Fin was our best, he was damaging around stoppage and in the middle. That goal he kicked was nice too.

Reef played a bit through the midfield in the 2nd half, and had some good moments.

Johnson looked better down back, but then they put him forward and he looked better. More confidence?
I agree.

The melts on here were absolutely hilarious.

That experience would help the really young players and even the more established ones. Eg. We had Parker and DeMattia out there. Both did well for themselves but could benefit from a veteran.

Ryan was mid but he was returning from injury so maybe hold off with the melts. His weakness has always been kickouts so it's about figuring out how we can use his running which is a strength.

Johnson's game was interesting. An improvement, obviously. He touched the ball more. Don't think he's a defender, though and he did have a few moments. But in fairness, so did the rest of the team. Question is how much defensive work was he doing, did he understand the structure, was it always planned to have him spend time in multiple areas?

He did have confidence which helped.

My friend's son at 200+kg, before losing half his weight thanks to a lite n easy diet and lots of rapid walking, played all his football in a full forward role identical to that for which you believe yourself to be well qualified. He was also a fairly decent opening bat, very difficult to bowl out because he obscured everyone but the wicketkeeper and slips' fieldsmen's vision of the wicket. Speed off the mark is not everything, or indeed in your case apparently, anything. On what I saw of the first half, there was almost certainly a space available in front of the sticks for someone with the standing talent you claim to possess.

Hopefully eyre isn’t to far away, we lack talls at both ends
That’s the key,at the end of your post.We lack talls at both ends of the ground.When you lack talls you lack structure,and it makes it so much harder to defend and attack.We’re seeing the same problem in the seniors,especially up forward.When you have no real targets up forward,you have to scramble for your goals,and get them any way you can.It’s a very energy sapping way of scoring,and it catches up with you in the end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back