Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought we'd sh*t the bed after the Bayern and Villa debacles. But full "credit to the boys" we have responded, you love to see it.

That pass from Ødegaard to Havertz was absolutely sublime. One of the best you'll ever see.

Great to see Havertz score two good goals against the Chavs.

If only Rice's shot was an inch closer it would have deflected off the post and bounced right in. It would have been a great goal after that play from Jesus.
He was offside though.

What a player. There aren't enough superlatives to describe him.

Still can't believe this guy joined us. Incredible

£30m ish from Madrid. Holy s**t. Could quadruple that and I’d still label it a bargain. He’s magnificent.

Leads the press from the first minute until the 100th. Only some faltering finishing has prevented his assist tally from being significantly higher, he has threaded so many similar balls like this morning across the season.

Glorious footballer.

£30m ish from Madrid. Holy s**t. Could quadruple that and I’d still label it a bargain. He’s magnificent.

Leads the press from the first minute until the 100th. Only some faltering finishing has prevented his assist tally from being significantly higher, he has threaded so many similar balls like this morning across the season.

Glorious footballer.
I always wonder how great Ozil's and now Martin's numbers could be/have been with someone prolific in front of them ala Henry, Kun, Haaland, Rooney etc

I always wonder how great Ozil's and now Martin's numbers could be/have been with someone prolific in front of them ala Henry, Kun, Haaland, Rooney etc

Özil was especially hampered by this. He's the best playmates/passer of his generation IMO.

I wonder how it all would have panned out had we signed Higuain when we were heavily linked (twice).

At least Ødegaard plays a more all-round midfield game as opposed to a pure 10. He does the dirty work too (but looks classy when doing it), tracks back, takes up position in the midfield and leads the press.

I recall prime RvP, he was lethal at times from the likes of Song picking him out from deep. Odegaard behind someone of that ilk, wow.

They’re few and far between though, and Arsenal’s goal scoring numbers speak for themselves. It’s fantastic that even putting up these numbers, you look across the squad and can see areas of improvement/development.

Just watched the game - hard to avoid the score when viewing on delay, but god that was worth it. My first ever live Arsenal game I saw was against Chelsea at Emirates in '09. They owned us 3-0. It was literally men v boys and I've had a dislike of them ever since. So...'You're effen s**t' echoing across the stadium gave me immense pleasure. As did the 'ole's' at the end when CHELSEA were in possession. Take that you f*******!

Oh, and how nice of Partey to remind us of his quality today. What an enigma.

Oh, and how nice of Partey to remind us of his quality today. What an enigma.

I was really frustrated with Partey in the first half. Still seemed off the pace, and contributed to the general casualness which I was unhappy with in the first half.

After half time he was much better, more progressive with his passing, and more up to speed with the pace of the game. Jorginho is still my preference for the big aways games - Spurs and United, but having Partey as an option is a nice to have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where would he fit among the Arsenal greats at this stage?

It’s difficult to gauge because I feel so much of this stuff can be influenced by what they win during their tenure at the club. Trophies punctuate assessments, rightly or wrongly. At this trajectory though that the club is on, with so many key core players extended via contracts, there’s every chance his legacy is right up there by the time he’s done.

I was really frustrated with Partey in the first half. Still seemed off the pace, and contributed to the general casualness which I was unhappy with in the first half.

After half time he was much better, more progressive with his passing, and more up to speed with the pace of the game. Jorginho is still my preference for the big aways games - Spurs and United, but having Partey as an option is a nice to have.

I believe this was the first league start for the fabled Partey, Rice and Odegaard midfield this season. I get the sense Arteta will do the same on Sunday, and what an option Jorginho is to timeshare that position with Partey. And allow Rice the freedom in a more advanced position.

Özil was especially hampered by this. He's the best playmates/passer of his generation IMO.

I wonder how it all would have panned out had we signed Higuain when we were heavily linked (twice).

At least Ødegaard plays a more all-round midfield game as opposed to a pure 10. He does the dirty work too (but looks classy when doing it), tracks back, takes up position in the midfield and leads the press.
I'm convinced that Özil is the one guy who could walk into this squad from our dark years. I'm convinced he could play beside Martin, with Declan filling Jorghino and Partey's role.

Also, it feels like 5-0 flattered Chelsea. We deserved to win that 10-0. That was as good a performance as we've seen this season.

Best Arsenal 11, premier league era:
Lehmann
Dixon, Campbell, Adams, Winterburn
Vieira, Fabregas
Ljungberg, Bergkamp, Pires
Henry

Subs:
Seaman, Sagna, Koscielny, Gilberto, Odegaard, Alexis, Wright

Unlucky to miss - Lauren, Ozil, van Persie, Overmars, Petit.
Deserves to be there but I hate his guts - Cashley Cole.

Ahead of Fab4?
To be honest I forgot about him. I think it's an either/or.

Best Arsenal 11, premier league era:
Lehmann
Dixon, Campbell, Adams, Winterburn
Vieira, Fabregas
Ljungberg, Bergkamp, Pires
Henry

Subs:
Seaman, Sagna, Koscielny, Gilberto, Odegaard, Alexis, Wright

Unlucky to miss - Lauren, Ozil, van Persie, Overmars, Petit.
Deserves to be there but I hate his guts - Cashley Cole.
I disagree with a lot of this.

Seaman
Lauren Campell Adams Cole
Vieira
Sanchez--------------------Pires
Bergkamp
Wright Henry​

Ok let's all just settle down with the hyperbole for a little bit.

Odegaard is good, but he's nowhere near Cesc levels of good (yet,).

Go watch our 2009/10 season if there's any doubt.

To be honest I forgot about him. I think it's an either/or.

I disagree with a lot of this.

Seaman
Vieira
Bergkamp
Wright Henry​

One midfielder! I tried for a more balanced team.

Seaman / Lehmann is a close call. Can see Seaman getting the nod for longevity.
No way Lauren is a better right back than Dixon or Sagna. I love the guy, but he was repurposed midfielder who filled a role during a successful time, but he is third best at best.
Cole was fine, can’t argue other than I hate him. Winterburn is criminally underrated, however.
Ljungberg delivered at a higher level for a longer period than Alexis. Alexis was more spectacular, Freddie was more effective.
Wright is my favourite ever player, made me an Arsenal fan, but to me a team can only have 2 of Wright, Henry and Bergkamp.

Fun to think about it though. Hopefully in 3 years we are arguing for Martin, Saka, Saliba and Rice for a spot.

One midfielder! I tried for a more balanced team.

Seaman / Lehmann is a close call. Can see Seaman getting the nod for longevity.
No way Lauren is a better right back than Dixon or Sagna. I love the guy, but he was repurposed midfielder who filled a role during a successful time, but he is third best at best.
Cole was fine, can’t argue other than I hate him. Winterburn is criminally underrated, however.
Ljungberg delivered at a higher level for a longer period than Alexis. Alexis was more spectacular, Freddie was more effective.
Wright is my favourite ever player, made me an Arsenal fan, but to me a team can only have 2 of Wright, Henry and Bergkamp.

Fun to think about it though. Hopefully in 3 years we are arguing for Martin, Saka, Saliba and Rice for a spot.
I can't go past Alexis for Ljungberg. Alexis' best was spectacular and he was brilliant for a sustained period.

Yeah looking back on it, does seem a bit unbalanced.

Seaman
Cesc Vieira
Bergkamp
Henry
Gilberto also very stiff not to start.

Bench I'd probably go

Lehmann, Kos, Gilberto, Ljungberg, RvP, Wright, Ramsey.

Auba stiff too. Monreal always was solid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back