Club History Traditional Rivals: Recent Port v Norwood Grand Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

22 Aiston Fosdike.png
YOUNG CAMPAIGNER: Mark Aiston interviews Duncan Fosdike after the final siren. When Aiston asked Fosdike how he felt, Duncan replied: "Tremendous, f@%king great!"

23 Brian.png
BRIAN: Legendary Norwood supporter. He was pretty happy with how the day went. Sigh.

Last edited:
They said it

“The game was one of the fiercest, wildest grand finals ever played. It was a collection of crimes, follies, mistakes, skill and courage.”
- Geoff Kingston, The Advertiser.

“That was one of the all-time great efforts. I am extremely proud of what happened out there today. That win was extra special.”
- Neil Balme.

"Pure football by the rules of the game are for people who don’t win."
- Neil Balme.

“We may not have been the first men on the moon but we’re the first to win the premiership from fifth place.”
- Tom Warhurst.

“Remember the feeling. It will make you hungry for success next year.”
- Russell Ebert to his devastated players.

“Remember this day for the rest of your lives. It will be a day you appreciate and never forget. remember your opponent. We put up a good fight.”
- Russell Ebert to jubilant Norwood players.

“What a bastard.”
- Russell Ebert.

Bits and pieces

- Physio Rick Montiadis was offered a $1000 bribe by an anonymous caller to rule Russell Johnston and Ben Harris unfit for the grand final. Montiadis refused the bribe but that didn't deter our potential fixer, who kept ringing until the phone was taken off the hook. When Montiadis put it back on, the phone rang almost immediately. He answered. "There's one-thousand dollars..."
- Speaking of phone calls, during Grand Final week Norwood's administration staff answered incoming calls: “Norwood for history makers.”
- John Cahill resigned as Collingwood coach after the Magpies humiliating Preliminary Final loss to Essendon. West publicly announced its interest in him to replace Neil Kerley. Richmond were also linked.
- Reported for striking Craig Balme before the first bounce, Tim Evans beat the rap. No seriously, he was cleared of striking. At the tribunal he said:

You have to appreciate the tensions of the build up to the grand final. And on other occasions (this year) I had been subjected to verbal abuse by Balme. This time I was determined I was not going to be intimidated. I was going to show some strength. As expected, i got the usual abuse - things like threats to put me in hospital for four weeks . The usual things. He was taunting me and he did come up and hit me on the chest before the incident occurred. When I did make contact it was a reflex action and entirely in self-defence.

Last edited:
First and worst!

Ten years-old and this was the first time I'd seen Port play in a Grand Final. Well, league Grand Final anyway. I'd cheered on the reserves in '83. Ironically, they beat Norwood in a thriller.

Sat a few rows back from the fence down the Southern End so we had pretty much had no idea what was going on during Advance Australia Fair. But knew it was big by the roar of the crowd. To be honest, the day is a bit of a blur. But a few things stick out...

Kym Dillon

Campaigner sat behind us. He was wearing his blue Torrens club jumper with a yellow collared polo shirt. He was obviously there to see the Eagles win the reserves against Norwood, which I took as an omen, but not sure if he played.

"Champagne football," he parroted every time Norwood did something good. All day long, pissing off my Dad to no end. Kymbo must've been rehearsing for his impending media career.

Taxi ride home

Normally we did the Gawler Central/Footy Park Express return trip to games. But this day we got a taxi all the way back home to Salisbury coz Dad wanted to spare me (and most likely himself) the spectacle of jubilant Norwood supporters.

Just remember sitting in the back seat absolutely numb, shocked and confused. Couldn't work out how we lost. HOW? The cabbie cranked up the heater full blast coz he felt sorry for me. At least I was warm.

D!ckhead brother

A rabid Centrals supporter, he'd moved out a few weeks before with his fiance. When I walked in after the game, who's there waiting for me? My d!ckhead brother, of course. He didn't say anything. He just smirked at me as I took off my duffel coat. But he couldn't himself:

"What happened to Port?"

1984 will always burn...

Yet another Port/Norwood GF that I couldn't attend. I went to the VFL Grand Final between Hawthorn and Essendon the day before with my wife and 2 other couples.

A member of the group I was with had relatives who owned a pub in Mildura so we went there for the day.

Bits & pieces
- Tony Hannan only played two league games for the year. Both were Port's finals.

Tony Hannan was a primary school teacher in Whyalla, and he would fly down for training. He was my teacher in 1981 and 1983. I wasn't much of a pupil but he was a quiet and focussed man, well liked by his colleagues. I wonder where he is now?

Budget 97.jpg
01 ABC Credits.png
02 Evans Balme.jpg
EVANS VERSUS BALME 4? Nope, they were both working for the club at the time. Seriously.

Last edited:
05 Early Lead.png
EARLY LEAD: We held the lead until the 4:38 minute mark. Then it all turned to s#it!

06 Chalmers Knee.png
CHALMERS' KNEE: This is where it all turned to s#it.

07 Bond Speckie.png
TROY BOND: Almost takes mark of the year.

Last edited:
08 Stephen Williams.png
STEPHEN WILLIAMS: Boys, we're rooted!

09 Aaron Keating.png
AARON KEATING: Serious, LOLs. But he played in two premierships over two weekends. Who's LOLing now, huh?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

11A Super Sid?.png
SUPER SID? Can't tell. Not without his paper-mache hat. Pretty sure by this stage he'd barracked for every team in the comp. Jumped on Port's bandwagon for a bit. He wasn't happy with a free kick not being paid.

12 McGuinness Hair.png
BAD 90s HAIR: Before Kane Mitchell... there was Phil McGuinness. But at least Phil was around in the 90s.

13 Davey Tregenza.jpg
OUCH: Davey and Tregenza clash You got knocked the fugg out! Both of you.

14 Ambulance.png
DODGEM CAR AMBULANCE: Some of those Red Coats were real leadfoots!

15 Jenny Borlase.png
KEY FORWARD: Crying out for one all day. Daisy should've got his netball GS sharpshooter wife to lace-up a guernsey.

16 cRowey.jpg
UGH: Crowey takes self-proclaimed "Mark of the Century." Then kicks a goal. Campaigner.

17 Dejected Players.png
FINAL SIREN: What a campaigner of a day.

18 Stamps 1997.jpg

Didn't think we had a hope in hell going into this game. Norwood were clearly the best team in the comp that year. And we played our grand final two weeks earlier in the 2nd Semi, causing a huge boilover.

Barracked like crazy for Centrals in the prelim. Just knew we couldn't beat Norwood twice in the finals. Legs looked shaky against the Doggies but held on and I knew we were stuffed.

Watching the game again, I was surprised by how long we managed to hang in there. Norwood looked better all day but it wasn't until midway through the third quarter that they really seized control.

And then the floodgates opened...

I have virtually no memories of what happened on the field that day. I remember Robert Harvey sitting a couple rows in front of us and in the last quarter some campaigner in a Crows jacket and hat down the front facing the crowd with 2 fingers in the air mouthing "We've got two, We've got two".

I don't even remember Chalmers getting injured. Who rucked, D. Smith?

Funnily enough a couple years later, when we beat them in 99 we were walking through the Bash-ear car park after the game and some old Norwood campaigner was shouting "Yeah well we got ya in 84!" and we're all pissing ourselves as may dad's mate shouted back "You got us 2 years ago ya dumb campaigner" and he was just like 'oh yeah' and shut up :p

Edit: Oh and another memory was being one of the last dozen or so cars in the car park as we kicked the footy for a while but there was a red van right next to ours. In the red van were a couple going hammer and tongs, holding onto handle bars, steaming up the windows :eek:. I think they enjoyed performing for a crowd haha.

Last edited:
I don't even remember Chalmers getting injured. Who rucked, D. Smith?

Tredders! Battled hard all day. Definitely one of our best.

Day started off pretty good with the Reserves getting up by a point.

Eugene Warrior the hero with four goals. Pulled the same sorta stunt two years later in the league.

For Norwood...

Last edited:
caught up with some norwood mates at half time of the 97 gf, they were nervous thinking it was still a close contest, i told them we were completely ****ed, terrible day. losing chalmers was where the game was lost. we went in with only 1 ruckman (gee what a luxury to have at least 1 ruckman in a gf v norwood) leaving out jacques was a risk but after chalmers had a davies like game with huge stats in the second semi it was a risk worth taking, until he got injured. shocking game topped of with rowe taking a big mark late in the game, sums it up right there.

the reserves win was george fiacchis final game.

They said it

“It was just guts that got us over the line. There were 42 blokes who just gave everything for their clubs and we just happened to be in front at the right time.”
- Stephen Williams.

“You don’t have a good runner-up or a bad runner-up - just a runner-up... People will look back and see we were second and that’s what we’ve got to live with.”
- Peter Rohde.

“It just had to be done. If I didn’t do it they probably would have kicked a goal... I don’t think he saw me and I was putting the hard yards in and just tried to spoil it. I was a bit dazed at first. I knocked my jaw on his head.”
- Tom Carr on his match-saving goalsquare spoil on Andrew Pascoe.

“Tommy told me after the game that he won the game for us. I don’t dispute that.”
- Stephen Williams.

“It’s unfair to isolate one incident in the game from 120 minutes... but if Andrew held that mark or we get a free kick we would have been seven points in front and it might have been enough to break their backs.”
- Peter Rohde.

“We had it there for awhile but unfortunately it got away from us.”
- Dale Fleming

“I just threw it on the boot and hoped for the best... When you are a kid you dream about kicking the winning goal in the grand final. So I was pretty happy about it.”
- Phil McGuinness on his monster match-winning screwy.

03 Banner.png
04 National Anthem.png
NATIONAL ANTHEM TODAY: Makes you yearn for a good ol' fashioned punch-up in the goal-square.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back