Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Man weights are instant happy

Cardio sucks and then happy and then sucks

They're both necessary though
The only time I willingly do cardio is when I can watch the footy while I’m on the bike or the tready. I force myself to do it for the whole quarter or half and then I get sweet freedom as soon as half time hits, I can go to Pilates or start weights instead.

If you’re trying to get ripped don’t you need both?

I run at least a few times a week cos I like trying to achieve different goals, and Im trying to ward off diseases as I get older (better heart, bones, brain). I also like to lift weights a couple of times a week. But there seems to be a mantra out there that cardio compromises strength and muscle gains which I don’t get. My legs and core look and feel stronger than ever.

Last edited:
If you’re trying to get ripped don’t you need both?

I run at least a few times a week cos I like trying to achieve different goals, and Im trying to ward off diseases as I get older (better heart, bones, brain). I also like to lift weights a couple of times a week. But there seems to be a mantra out there that cardio compromises strength and muscle gains which I don’t get. My legs and core look and feel stronger than ever.
Advice is full of bro science and min/max bullshit

If you're lifting you'll do better not going for a 30 minute run first

If you've smashed your legs with weights your running or bike riding is going to suffer immediately after

If you're spreading stuff out appropriately and getting enough rest it's fine

A body builder might want to limit cardio and a runner isn't going to want to carry extra weight but your average person can do and benefit from both

Why even bother - thats maybe 100 calories which you’ll negate with a third of a chocolate bar, and not enough to get any meaningful fitness or disease prevention benefits.
Dude the main benefit of cardio is heart and lung health

It all counts don't be a dick

and Im trying to ward off diseases as I get older (better heart, bones, brain). I also like to lift weights a couple of times a week.
There have been studies ( 2011) and recent ones that highlight the positive nature of lifting - full credit to you and I hope you live a long and healthy life

Physical activity can lead to an increase in, or reduction in the loss of, bone density, particularly in elderly postmenopausal women (7, e4). In low bone density, such effects on the spine as well as the hips have been shown

The oldest group’s improved mobility was especially encouraging, he added, because “loss of physical function is ultimately what defines frailty.”

Why even bother - thats maybe 100 calories which you’ll negate with a third of a chocolate bar, and not enough to get any meaningful fitness or disease prevention benefits.
The first part may be correct but the 2nd part isnt

Any exercise is meaningful and leads to better life outcomes

Despite my previous post I think a mixed approach with regard to weights and cardio should maximise a persons health outcomes

It doesnt mean you bust a hernia lifting the heaviest weights or a need to run 42km marathons - as with anything moderation is key

Why do so many people who lift weights regularly don’t do any cardio?
I’m the exact opposite. Typically always loved cardio and was indifferent to weights.

I grew up mostly doing endurance/stamina sports like cross country, triathlon, surf lifesaving so cardio is something I enjoy and that comes naturally to me and it’s the kind of lean physique I am content to have anyway. Give me a pair of runners, a bicycle, a beach/pool, some quiet secluded walking tracks, and I really can’t ask for more than that, let’s you roam and beneficial for mental health. I’m not interested in what anyone else is doing, let alone chasing a certain look.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand why people care so much what others are doing. At least they're exercising!

If you want to judge anyone (which you shouldn't really), how about the obese people not trying to do anything instead of someone just doing weights/cardio/whatever you don't like

I don't understand why people care so much what others are doing. At least they're exercising!

If you want to judge anyone (which you shouldn't really), how about the obese people not trying to do anything instead of someone just doing weights/cardio/whatever you don't like
you started off so good then you went judgy and told people to target a group

Miss the part where I said 'which you shouldn't'?

That said, if anyone could be criticized for their exercise efforts it definitely isn't the people who are exercising.
cant help yourself can you

I think all kinds of "fitness"/excercise/activity is good.

I do a mix of everything and am in pretty good shape. I love my weight training but i also enjoy whacking on a podcast and going for a run or jumping on the bike/rower.

Ultimately people that hate on cardio for not burning enough calories are missing the point, no specific exercise will be enough to out train a bad diet (if weight loss or shredding is what you want to achieve). If calorie maintenance is your goal you gotta do that in the kitchen.

If being generally healthier with some exercise is your goal you should do whatever you enjoy doing and therefore will keep doing regularly.

She speaks from about 6 minutes on.

She honestly comes across horrendously and shes still having a go at him. I think his explanation re: the abuse makes sense too.

This woman still comes across as an entitled idiot. She has taken no accountability for her actions at all. No self awareness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back