Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeh. Ive got a mate who was adamant for about 3 years he was coeliac. Randomly was eating a bread roll one day and got asked about it

"Oh yeh i was speaking to my GP about some other issues and he thinks my coeliac disease was likely psychosomatic". That was 5ish years ago now and since hes back to the gluten hes been chronically unwell, looks like absolute s**t. He doctor shops and has self diagnosed about 30 other ailments in that time but just totally ignores that the healthiest he has ever been was the three years he was gluten free.

I switched to gluten free as I was having an issue where I was getting bloated and constipated. That isn't happening any more.

The bread is a rip off though. The loaves tend to be about 500g and can cost up $7.80 ($1.56/100g) whereas the equivalent gluten loaf is 800g for $4.90 ($0.61/100g). All the ones I've tried have the consistency of stale bread and are either tasteless or too sweet - so it's good for toast only.

I switched to gluten free as I was having an issue where I was getting bloated and constipated. That isn't happening any more.

The bread is a rip off though. The loaves tend to be about 500g and can cost up $7.80 ($1.56/100g) whereas the equivalent gluten loaf is 800g for $4.90 ($0.61/100g). All the ones I've tried have the consistency of stale bread and are either tasteless or too sweet - so it's good for toast only.
You need to be properly diagnosed with gluten intolerance or coeliac. Gluten normally is important in the digestive process.

That’s a very long read and from what I can see the only things supporting your statement is this

Gluten may also act as a prebiotic, feeding the “good” bacteria in our bodies

Which isn’t very definitive.

That’s a very long read and from what I can see the only things supporting your statement is this

Gluten may also act as a prebiotic, feeding the “good” bacteria in our bodies

Which isn’t very definitive.
There are studies supporting both sides, but I think medical advice based on an individual physical examination and testing is advisable. The problem you are suffering from may be quite different from gluten intolerance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm lucky I don't seem to have any because I'm fairly sure I'd lack the discipline to have a food allergy.
I had to do various exclusion diets to see if any ingredients were triggering a skin condition I have. The 3 month dairy exclusion diet ******* SUCKED. Going gluten free for 12 weeks wasn't horrific, I just stopped eating bread and pasta.

I had to do various exclusion diets to see if any ingredients were triggering a skin condition I have. The 3 month dairy exclusion diet ******* SUCKED. Going gluten free for 12 weeks wasn't horrific, I just stopped eating bread and pasta.
I've pretty much lived without milk most of my life, I've taken my tea and coffee black since my teens and have never liked it as a drink so I could do that bit an not even notice, excluding cheese from my diet for twelve weeks on the other hand would be torture.

GIF by Justin

There are studies supporting both sides, but I think medical advice based on an individual physical examination and testing is advisable. The problem you are suffering from may be quite different from gluten intolerance.
To be clear, I eat gluten, I have no intolerance nor coeliac.

I’ve just never read or heard anything suggesting it aids digestion, nor have I heard of any coeliac people needing any sort of digestive supplement to make up for whatever they may miss from not eating gluten.

I don’t really mind either way, I just doubt that a person cutting out gluten for any reason is going to be worse off.

Keto for example is mostly gluten free, haven’t heard anything about it causing digestive issues.

Not a life worth living.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back