Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t have an issue with him asking her to leave - the sense of entitlement that you being able to have a night out while disrupting others who have paid good money, blows my mind

But it’s the rest of the outcome of that ejection that I do have a problem with and agree with the poster

View attachment 1967873

Where's that from Off The Couch ?

I've seen a few comments on the usual media outlets' social pages from people saying they were there and haven't seen that mentioned before, where other crowd members were abusing the mother. Admittedly I didn't watch her appearances on the current affairs circuit last night, did it come up there?

So yes, you'd hope Arj would defuse the situation of crowd members abusing other crowd members. What if she dug her heels in and refused to leave, after he's gone down the "let's just cool down now..." path?

I think they're asking a bit too much of the comedian, it has to be a dying art form. Like, how would Bill Burr deal with that situation? Or Bill Hicks? They're performers and even to the most seasoned stand-ups, playing an event like that must be incredibly stressful with everything getting recorded and everyone having an opinion on social media. Good stand-ups have always crossed the line and now they're being asked to consider the optics when everyone's going to have an opinion on social media.

It's a pretty fascinating situation and you can see how it would create confusion when someone is being asked to leave from a stand-up gig when they're not strictly heckling or being abusive. But I find it hard to believe that Arj Barker of all people would have requested that she leave unless the situation was drastically impacting his ability to perform.

I've never seen a baby at a metal gig but I wouldn't care if anyone took one or not, I mean I'm not really gonna hear a crying baby!
Id be more concerned with the babies welfare.

To be fair the baby that came to the Gold Class session was pretty quiet (and the mother fell asleep before the movie even started) but the whole cinema was deeply uncomfortable with the baby being there.

I've never seen a baby at a metal gig but I wouldn't care if anyone took one or not, I mean I'm not really gonna hear a crying baby!
That's because after years of metal gigs you have industrial deafness.

Just saying. Don't hate on me. I just spit truth.

I think legally there are not many places that can refuse entry to a parent with a baby so it does largely become up to the parent

sometimes they may find out their kid has perfect timing for a career in comedy

I read something earlier. He clarified it had nothing to do with the breastfeeding (as I suspected). He couldn't even see because of the lights.. but he could hear and I doubt he could just hear 'gurgling' as per the woman's statement.
He said in his statement yesterday he had no idea she was feeding.

Its all pretty irrelevant anyway TBH, even if she was feeding the baby, she shouldnt have been in there and its reasonable for him to expect that shes not.

Ok I didn't see that until earlier.
Its all pretty irrelevant anyway TBH, even if she was feeding the baby, she shouldnt have been in there and its reasonable for him to expect that shes not.
I think if it was just about breastfeeding this would probably have gone a lot differently for Arj. A baby that's breastfeeding isn't being disruptive and none of this would have happened if there was no disruption.

I agree she shouldn't have brought the baby in the first place though.

I think if it was just about breastfeeding this would probably have gone a lot differently for Arj. A baby that's breastfeeding isn't being disruptive and none of this would have happened if there was no disruption.

All good.

I mean, hes still entitled to kick her out given he has a clear 15+ policy for his show.

Weve just had twins. One feeds very very loudly so if it was them there with my wife, thats gonna be disruptive.

In any event its moot, she should never have been in there.

It was only relevant for the click bait journalists, booting a breastfeeding mother from anywhere is a perfect story for them, even over just a mother with an infant I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't say I'd want to sit right next to a stranger breastfeeding in crammed theatre seats. Even if that's all she was doing, it's selfish of her. I'm glad people are on Arj's side but what a state our media is when she's made multiple TV appearances over it. '

All it shows is how bloody easy we have it here compared to the rest of the world that we invent problems for news.

Its actually staggering how loud it can be.

I recall when we got our newborn home and he was sleeping in our room, i couldn't believe how noisy he was. And I'm not talking about crying etc, just generally when sleeping, grunts, yelps etc.

My wife thought moving him out on the decking was a bit drastic but I needed my sleep!

Where's that from Off The Couch ?

I've seen a few comments on the usual media outlets' social pages from people saying they were there and haven't seen that mentioned before, where other crowd members were abusing the mother. Admittedly I didn't watch her appearances on the current affairs circuit last night, did it come up there?

So yes, you'd hope Arj would defuse the situation of crowd members abusing other crowd members. What if she dug her heels in and refused to leave, after he's gone down the "let's just cool down now..." path?

I think they're asking a bit too much of the comedian, it has to be a dying art form. Like, how would Bill Burr deal with that situation? Or Bill Hicks? They're performers and even to the most seasoned stand-ups, playing an event like that must be incredibly stressful with everything getting recorded and everyone having an opinion on social media. Good stand-ups have always crossed the line and now they're being asked to consider the optics when everyone's going to have an opinion on social media.

It's a pretty fascinating situation and you can see how it would create confusion when someone is being asked to leave from a stand-up gig when they're not strictly heckling or being abusive. But I find it hard to believe that Arj Barker of all people would have requested that she leave unless the situation was drastically impacting his ability to perform.

It was on X and the local radio station interviewed a woman who spoke about men in the audience yelling out “get the * out” and how intimidating it felt and that towards the end Arj spoke about how powerful he felt

It was on X and the local radio station interviewed a woman who spoke about men in the audience yelling out “get the * out” and how intimidating it felt and that towards the end Arj spoke about how powerful he felt
Arj explained on that radio interview I linked that he thought those yelling were yelling at him. Given it would almost certainly be a garbled mess of words being yelled and given a few people walked out that seems pretty plausible to me.

Not sure about what he said after but I’d probably forgive him again for trying to get the set back on track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back