Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course everyone is welcome to celebrate with us on our special festivals. They are part of our culture that migrants came here to join, theoretically, or at least respect. Didn’t they know about them before they came? Or should they cherry-pick which aspects of Australia they will accept and seek to replace the ones they object to?
you keep saying our special festivals
you mean your special festivals

pretty sure prior to invasion Good Friday wasn't a thing here

hell its not even the same thing for everyone who is Christian depending on their church

Btw, with all the woke timidity about replacing Merry Christmas with “Happy Holidays” or banning Christmas carols in kindergartens for fear of “offending” someone 🙄, I have NEVER heard of ANY migrants objecting to any of our ceremonies. In fact many love the happy party atmosphere they generate.
i dont know of this happening anywhere outside of conservative fantasies

Beware of wishing to overturn tradition; ideology loves a vacuum and you might like the replacement even less.
traditions are made up

like Australia day which has been a national holiday for less than 30 years

your defending your ideology which apparently is nobody should be allowed to eat red meat on good friday out of respect for Jesus who died

except that the date he died changes every year based on the cycle of the moon, because it was not originally a christian day, it was co opted by the Christians because it was already celebrated by the pagans and it was easier to become the dominant religion that way

I eat meat whenever I want to 🙂
cool and someone else wanted to be able to drink a beer and you cracked the sads and then went on a racist rant about it

"Respect Australia's long-standing traditions."

"Wait, not that long-standing."
you can't import your own beliefs, you have to respect my imported beliefs

Of course everyone is welcome to celebrate with us on our special festivals. They are part of our culture that migrants came here to join, theoretically, or at least respect. Didn’t they know about them before they came? Or should they cherry-pick which aspects of Australia they will accept and seek to replace the ones they object to?

Btw, with all the woke timidity about replacing Merry Christmas with “Happy Holidays” or banning Christmas carols in kindergartens for fear of “offending” someone 🙄, I have NEVER heard of ANY migrants objecting to any of our ceremonies. In fact many love the happy party atmosphere they generate.

Beware of wishing to overturn tradition; ideology loves a vacuum and you might like the replacement even less.
You’re mixing culture and religion. Culture =/= Religion. Easter and Christmas are religious festivals. Melbourne Cup is cultural.

Also what about the non-Christians that are born in Australia? Like me? How am I meant to learn about “cultural” holidays before coming to Australia?

Hypothetically, if you were to move overseas; are you willing not to celebrate Easter and have Good Friday off. Instead having to pull a sickie so that you can do so ?

This seems to me like a mashup of the worst of the internet.

What is being replaced?

This is a great one for you:

This replacement wouldn't be... Great ... would it?

The Arj Barker controversy. Of all the comedians to set off a firestorm, is Carl Barron next?

I'm a huge Flight of the Conchords fan and I've been to see Arj multiple times live, so I had to check this one off with Mrs Dollop to make sure I wasn't just an idiot and a cultish Barker apologist. Because I was just like WTF? Sitting in the front few rows with an infant at a comedy festival? And the comedian is distracted and asks you to leave because it's affecting his performance? I couldn't see a problem with what he did.

Fortunately, the Mrs agreed with me.

The Arj Barker controversy. Of all the comedians to set off a firestorm, is Carl Barron next?

I'm a huge Flight of the Conchords fan and I've been to see Arj multiple times live, so I had to check this one off with Mrs Dollop to make sure I wasn't just an idiot and a cultish Barker apologist. Because I was just like WTF? Sitting in the front few rows with an infant at a comedy festival? And the comedian is distracted and asks you to leave because it's affecting his performance? I couldn't see a problem with what he did.

i got arrested for breastfeeding in public once

i mean im a man and the kid wasnt mine but i was still offended

It sounds like he was tactful in a difficult situation.

It sounds like he was tactful in a difficult situation.
The project were interviewing her tonight.
Halfway through the interview they asked her to give her baby to her husband so they could continue without the disruption.

Then went back to asking her how she felt about Arj saying her baby was disrupting his show and kicking her out.

It's art.

I doubt the project meant it to be art though

The project were interviewing her tonight.
Halfway through the interview they asked her to give her baby to her husband so they could continue without the disruption.

Then went back to asking her how she felt about Arj saying her baby was disrupting his show and kicking her out.

It's art.

I doubt the project meant it to be art though

Her extreme availability to speak with any media outlet that will have her and her justifying her position by saying she also took the baby with her to Dave Hughes and he had no problems with it gives me just the slightest whiff that part of her was just rocking up to comedy shows to find the first performer who'd object.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im Out GIF

Funnily enough I’m struggling to find a single person in my real world who agrees with her.

I’m now a parent (of ******* 3 no less) myself and Mrs.Phantom think she sounds like an entitled Karen.

Furthermore there is a personal and subjective line as a parent between what you “can” do with your child versus what you “should” do with your child. This case isn’t in that discussion though as Arj very clearly states that the show is for 15+ people.

I don’t have an issue with him asking her to leave - the sense of entitlement that you being able to have a night out while disrupting others who have paid good money, blows my mind

But it’s the rest of the outcome of that ejection that I do have a problem with and agree with the poster

1713825933086.png

I don’t have an issue with him asking her to leave - the sense of entitlement that you being able to have a night out while disrupting others who have paid good money, blows my mind

But it’s the rest of the outcome of that ejection that I do have a problem with and agree with the poster

View attachment 1967873
That is the first time ive seen that comment.

Its interesting that the story has shifted so substantially from yesterday morning where it was all about what an arsehole Arj was and how mothers need to be able to come to stuff, to what an entitled mother not suitable for a baby to now she shouldnt have been there but Arj was still an arsehole.

If the above happened that is piss poor. It does sound like the woman made the request pretty awkward and given shes done the rounds on the chat shows now basically saying "oh i would NEVER disrupt others but also, * em if i wanna go" makes me think shes broadly playing the victim pretty hard.

Also from the commentary ive seen (reading comments) the VAST majority of the most vitriolic commentary has been from women, especially mums, saying this woman gives them all a bad name.

Dark theatre im not sure id make the assesment that the voices were all men. Arj probably should have intervened but given the confusion that him requesting her to leave caused, benefit of the doubt perhaps he didnt want to say anything to further confuse the issue.

Ultimately the whole situation sucks, Arj seemed quite genuine in his commentary yesterday saying he didnt mean to cause offence and she never should have been subjected to the situation as she shouldnt have come and shouldnt have been seated. I find it really difficult to lay blame on him.

Agree. I don't really want to comment even because I've read the baby was being disruptive, then she was just breastfeeding and now she was being abused by men in the audience.

Wtf actually happened?
To me the simplest fact is that she never should have been in the show and therefore she shouldn't have been asked to leave and Arj shouldn't have had to do it.

Her extreme availability to speak with any media outlet that will have her and her justifying her position by saying she also took the baby with her to Dave Hughes and he had no problems with it gives me just the slightest whiff that part of her was just rocking up to comedy shows to find the first performer who'd object.

Yeah it feels like she's using the little tyke to make some sort of point. Geez that kid will cringe in a few years when he watches these Project and ACA interviews, she'll probably be on Rebel News next!

That is the first time ive seen that comment.

Its interesting that the story has shifted so substantially from yesterday morning where it was all about what an a-hole Arj was and how mothers need to be able to come to stuff, to what an entitled mother not suitable for a baby to now she shouldnt have been there but Arj was still an a-hole.

If the above happened that is piss poor. It does sound like the woman made the request pretty awkward and given shes done the rounds on the chat shows now basically saying "oh i would NEVER disrupt others but also, * em if i wanna go" makes me think shes broadly playing the victim pretty hard.

Also from the commentary ive seen (reading comments) the VAST majority of the most vitriolic commentary has been from women, especially mums, saying this woman gives them all a bad name.

Dark theatre im not sure id make the assesment that the voices were all men. Arj probably should have intervened but given the confusion that him requesting her to leave caused, benefit of the doubt perhaps he didnt want to say anything to further confuse the issue.

Ultimately the whole situation sucks, Arj seemed quite genuine in his commentary yesterday saying he didnt mean to cause offence and she never should have been subjected to the situation as she shouldnt have come and shouldnt have been seated. I find it really difficult to lay blame on him.
You could see the media pivot in real time. The initial story was Arj kicked a breastfeeding baby out of a show, what an a-hole. Then readers' comments started flowing in and hardly a one was in the parent's favour. So they shifted, put more focus on Arj's pretty tactful response, opinion pieces started about why you shouldn't take a baby to a comedy show.

She clearly has a fair bit of main character syndrome. I'm a parent, I know you are, any parent who takes their baby to a movie or live performance doesn't care about anyone else's night out, they just think they are entitled to some 'time off'. But when you're a parent, you make sacrifices, you stay home from things you'd like to go out to, or just one parent goes or you get a babysitter. These kinds of events are also no place to take a baby with loud, sudden sounds etc.

You could see the media pivot in real time. The initial story was Arj kicked a breastfeeding baby out of a show, what an a-hole. Then readers' comments started flowing in and hardly a one was in the parent's favour. So they shifted, put more focus on Arj's pretty tactful response, opinion pieces started about why you shouldn't take a baby to a comedy show.

She clearly has a fair bit of main character syndrome. I'm a parent, I know you are, any parent who takes their baby to a movie or live performance doesn't care about anyone else's night out, they just think they are entitled to some 'time off'. But when you're a parent, you make sacrifices, you stay home from things you'd like to go out to, or just one parent goes or you get a babysitter. These kinds of events are also no place to take a baby with loud, sudden sounds etc.
Ive told the story elsewhere but we had a couple bring a newborn to a 9.30pm Gold Class session of Logan (an R rated movie) a few years back.

I emailed Village about it (i wasnt seeking a refund or anything, just trying to understand how that can be allowed) and was essentially told its parents discretion, that to me is an issue. Dont make it discretionary because youre always gonna find some ******* clown that thinks thats a good idea.

Arj did that, crystal clear that baby wasnt allowed and mother shouldnt have brought.

Unfortunately so many people now dont want the backlash of banning kids. I think there are a STACK of places that should absolutely be allowed to ban children under 5.

• High end restaraunts
  • Cinemas for films M or over
  • Live shows of any kind (that are not kid or kid friendly shows)

Could no doubt add to that but who the * thinks bringing your kid to a $500 dollar 7 course Vue De Monde degustation is a good idea and why were they allowed to have kids in the first place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back