Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

This is why we need to abolish all public holidays and just have the first monday of every month off for people to celebrate it as they choose.

And if there is a specific date on calendar that people of certain background’s whatever they are want, they should be free to substitute it. And if there are 2 in a month, substitute the current month and next month.

But for those with no religious affiliations or beliefs they default to first monday every month.

You're a bigot.

The sooner you realise this the better.
A realist, is the word you’re looking for. Nothing I’ve said is “bigoted”. That’s just the opposite to your new-age fantasising. The majority of Aussies agree with me. This forum doesn’t reflect that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you think an Australian rule football forum is full of nothing but woke lefties and the broader Australian public is more aligned with your xenophobic rhetoric?

Is that right?

Seems a leap to me but whatever.

I mean the SRP board seems to be a lot of lefties but probably they just care more about politics anyway. But yeah on here and elsewhere it seems more to the centre.

I mean the SRP board seems to be a lot of lefties but probably they just care more about politics anyway. But yeah on here and elsewhere it seems more to the centre.
The righties keep getting proven wrong and running away in embarrassment to other boards.

Sorry, this is Australia, not alternative India, or substitute China, or overseas Lebanon. You came here for a new life, to be AUSTRALIAN. Celebrate your significant days if you want to; we give you that freedom, we don’t repress you (unlike we would be in your former homelands). But our significant days are our own, first and foremost.

Can test the theory. The post in question is above. You onboard with it?

Can test the theory. The post in question is above. You onboard with it?

What's Dogs_R_Us saying by "significant days are our own, first and foremost", as in Xmas Day isn't going anywhere or immigrants aren't allowed to celebrate with us?

I'm for anything that allows immigrants to become more part of Australian society. But of course you're "allowed" to celebrate your own religious holidays, customs etcf, hopefully there's room for both.

But I don't reckon we're introducing public holidays for Diwali or Chinese New Year, much the same as Xmas Day is business as normal in most of Asia.

I'm not sure I really understand's Dog's post tbh.

What's Dogs_R_Us saying by "significant days are our own, first and foremost", as in Xmas Day isn't going anywhere or immigrants aren't allowed to celebrate with us?

I'm for anything that allows immigrants to become more part of Australian society. But of course you're "allowed" to celebrate your own religious holidays, customs etcf, hopefully there's room for both.

But I don't reckon we're introducing public holidays for Diwali or Chinese New Year, much the same as Xmas Day is business as normal in most of Asia.

I'm not sure I really understand's Dog's post tbh.
Whole thing was about Easter and closing bottle shops on Good Friday.

The discussion from the "woke" side is that were not actually a Christian society anymore so government closing business for a Christian holiday is pretty cooked. That expanded into what it is and Dogs "If you dont like it, go home" shtick

Whole thing was about Easter and closing bottle shops on Good Friday.

The discussion from the "woke" side is that were not actually a Christian society anymore so government closing business for a Christian holiday is pretty cooked. That expanded into what it is and Dogs "If you dont like it, go home" shtick

I thought they were open on Good Friday anyway? But regardless it's pretty hard to remove the Christian holidays from our calendar I'd imagine, even most non Christians celebrate Xmas/Easter for the most part.

You're right, I wouldn't say that we are a Christian society too much anymore, though they still do prayers in Parliament don't they? And we swear on a bible in court (so i've heard anyway, no direct experience). I guess a lot of those things have become traditions, they'll probably eventually dissipate, not sure about the big holidays though.

Of course everyone is welcome to celebrate with us on our special festivals. They are part of our culture that migrants came here to join, theoretically, or at least respect. Didn’t they know about them before they came? Or should they cherry-pick which aspects of Australia they will accept and seek to replace the ones they object to?

Btw, with all the woke timidity about replacing Merry Christmas with “Happy Holidays” or banning Christmas carols in kindergartens for fear of “offending” someone 🙄, I have NEVER heard of ANY migrants objecting to any of our ceremonies. In fact many love the happy party atmosphere they generate.

Beware of wishing to overturn tradition; ideology loves a vacuum and you might like the replacement even less.

Of course everyone is welcome to celebrate with us on our special festivals. They are part of our culture that migrants came here to join, theoretically, or at least respect. Didn’t they know about them before they came? Or should they cherry-pick which aspects of Australia they will accept and seek to replace the ones they object to?

Btw, with all the woke timidity about replacing Merry Christmas with “Happy Holidays” or banning Christmas carols in kindergartens for fear of “offending” someone 🙄, I have NEVER heard of ANY migrants objecting to any of our ceremonies. In fact many love the happy party atmosphere they generate.

Beware of wishing to overturn tradition; ideology loves a vacuum and you might like the replacement even less.
Woke timidity.

Stay away from the daily mail mate, its rotting your brain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back