The young Macedonian, Will Pucovski

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to say, but those pinning their chances on him being a main stay in the Australia Test side of the future are surely joking. All the talent in the world but just can't get under a short ball. At this point it's just dangerous.

I don't really know where his scoring zones are but imo he has to put the pull shot away and start ducking and leaving... couldn't have played that ball any worse.

Could have played 50 tests by now. Potentially of course. Clearly got mental demons he can't get past otherwise he wouldn't keep getting hit in the head. Nobody else is. If they are they aren't as susceptible to concussion. It's just turned him into a okay state level player because ducking and pulling is part of the game and he can't do it. A shame. But he's about cooked. If he gets on a roll I wouldn't consider him if I was CA. Too risky for them and more importantly him. He'll sadly drop dead on the pitch if he's not careful. Get in the commentary box and carve out a nice career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's wrong with his technique that allows him to be hit so often?
I don't think it used to be an issue, based on what I've read most of the concussions (at least up to about 5 or so) were from footy, the head knocks in cricket is a relatively new thing for him. It never used to be a weakness in his game but somewhere along the line it has become one.

Without knowing for sure, it would be fair to suggest the change is due to the recent head knocks (no pun intended) knocking his confidence in facing those deliveries. As was seen with Stuart Broad - a decent upper tail end batter with a test century completely rattled by a bouncer and now is a genuine no.10/11. He's even talked about how he's tried to get through it through psychology and counselling but nothing has taken.

So, you'd have to suggest it's a fair possibility that after 1 or 2 concussions from bouncers, after his initial ones from footy, has rattled his short ball technique making him more vulnerable whereas before he perhaps wasn't.

What's wrong with his technique that allows him to be hit so often?
Doesn’t move his feet, does not get his head either inside our outside the line of the ball (which is crucial playing hook shots) - watch the ball that got him yesterday - it was honing in on his head and if got him flush - you shouldn’t be trying to play that ball - it’s a duck or leave scenario

Doesn’t move his feet, does not get his head either inside our outside the line of the ball (which is crucial playing hook shots) - watch the ball that got him yesterday - it was honing in on his head and if got him flush - you shouldn’t be trying to play that ball - it’s a duck or leave scenario
It was painful to watch. You could see it happening in slow motion. He just kinda stood there and watched it hone straight into his head. Bizarre stuff in all honesty

I think this guy needs to give it up. I feel like I'm Bill Murray in Groundhog day, every second week I'm seeing a tweet and a clip of him being bonked on the head again...like what the hell's going on? Is it technique? Is it reaction time? Is it because he's been hit on the head so many times he just freezes?

The cricket board seriously needs to step in on this and put their foot down.

Hit in the head again, unfortunately.

It's past the point of bad luck. It's a technique issue and, given his history, It's a recipe for a health disaster.

He really should give it away, hopefully, CA/Victoria can persuade him to do so for his sake.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back