Analysis The Rebuilds Of Hawthorn and Geelong and their Future Prospects

Who has the better prospects?

• Geelong

• Hawthorn

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

One flag to show for it, and the heart and soul of your last flag (Jelwood) has retired.

At some point Geelong needs to start hitting the draft hard and drafting and developing youth.

That’s one more flag than 11 other sides have won in the interim. Think I’m happy for us to take our chances.

I still don’t understand why we HAVE to.

Yet you listed 5 other clubs who also have nothing to do with this thread...
Yeah, I listed clubs with similar age profiles to Geelong that are also in their premiership window.

Beat it.

Really? “The 747”. 😂

I talk with context of our list and specific areas of growth, meanwhile you make dumb arguments like “yeah, but you’re 16th on the ladder”.

Geelong are playing just 4 players under 50 games.
Just because you’d usually have an average age of 29 doesn’t mean your rebuilding.

When at least a third of your side are under 50 games I’ll let you claim that Geelong are rebuilding without laughing at it.
Well I mean it's obvious that Geelong aren't playing as many kids as sides that aren't in contention for finals or consider a premiership a remote possibility.

De Koning, Ratugolea, J.Henry, O.Henry, Mullin, Zuthrie, O'Connor, Holmes, Bowes, Stengle, Bruhn, Miers, Close, Knevitt and Dempsey are hardly near the end though. Clark would probably be playing if not injured.

A couple will retire at the end of this year, a few next year and then it'll be a pretty young team again. There's no real point replacing another 6 veterans with kids while the team could go either way this year and next.

Also pretty unreal we brought in two elite junior Falcons in Henry and Bruhn while also taking our first single figure pick to the draft since 2007. All that after winning the premiership in the same year. While cute and appreciated, opposition fan's concerns are better pointed at their own clubs, not the most successful club this century.
The most successful club this century doesn’t wear hoops, sorry to say.

Geelong's current list management strategy (as you put it) is unsustainable long term, the three young recruits you got from other clubs last year (Bowes, Henry and Bruhn) have hardly set the world on fire this season.

As successful and mightily impressive and consistent your footy club has been since 2007 onwards, it might be time for the Catters to start to hitting the National Draft again and start drafting and developing your next future champions instead of keep going to other club's Well (so to speak)
Maybe. Everyone wrote Geelong off last year. Injuries have prevented Geelong from getting any real continuity throughout the season. They might reset and try again next year

We have some ok youth coming through - obviously not to the same level as Hawthorn though.

Blicavs should never of even been considered for all australian last year. It was ridiculous and not based off any data. Just a feeling pushed by the media Cos he never got there. Problem is he never deserved it.

is literally one of the worst finals players of all time. His opponent has been best on ground in finals about 6 times.

those stats arent all that impressive. He is in more centre bounces then any other player bar maybe atkins who is hopeless at winning the ball himself. All the other mids have missed large chunks of the season.

and ranking 6th for goal assists and inside 50s in a season he has played every game and nearly all geelong mids and fowards have missed large chunks of the season! Thats actually pretty poor is it not? Duncan, guthrie, danger, rohan, bruhn, stengle and stanley have all missed large parts of the season. Who exactly are the 5 above him?
He came 10th in the coaches award. Only Cameron from Geelong was higher, in a premiership year.

You think you know better than the AFL coaches and all australian panel?

Name a club who's won more premierships this century than Geelong.
Name a club that’s played off in more continuous GF’s than Hawthorn this century and won more than 3 of them in a row?

Name a club that’s played off in more continuous GF’s than Hawthorn this century and won more than 3 of them in a row?
Is there an award for that? I've heard ad nauseum that premierships are 'all that matters', and Geelong's four since the start of this century sees us sitting at the very tippy toppy of the mountain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there an award for that? I've heard ad nauseum that premierships are 'all that matters', and Geelong's four since the start of this century sees us sitting at the very tippy toppy of the mountain.
Right alongside a team that went back to back to back.

One of these teams is not like the other.

So no trophy, no nothing, just a 'my club's achievements are greater than yours because I said so'. Gotcha!
It’s called a threepeat, complete with 3 consecutive premiership cups.

It’s called a threepeat, complete with 3 consecutive premiership cups.
And that's more than Geelong's four premiership cups since the start of this century how exactly? My original proposition wasn't meant to stump you.

Q: Name a club who's won more premierships than Geelong this century
A: There is no club who's won more premierships than Geelong this century

And that's more than Geelong's four premiership cups since the start of this century how exactly? My original proposition wasn't meant to stump you.

Q: Name a club who's won more premierships than Geelong this century
A: There is no club who's won more premierships than Geelong this century
I love your argument to be fair.

Same amount of flags as Hawthorn without being able to back it up once, but you’re wearing it like a badge of honor.

I love your argument to be fair.

Same amount of flags as Hawthorn without being able to back it up once, but you’re wearing it like a badge of honor.
Yeah well our four flags > your four flags because my feelings say so.

But back on topic, and as I was saying, the reigning premiers and most successful club this century doesn't need to be fussed over by supporters of other clubs who would be better served pointing their worry towards their own clubs.

Yeah well our four flags > your four flags because my feelings say so.

But back on topic, and as I was saying, the reigning premiers and most successful club this century doesn't need to be fussed over by supporters of other clubs who would be better served pointing their worry towards their own clubs.

You're really NOT the most successful club this century, doesn't matter how many times you say it.

You're really NOT the most successful club this century, doesn't matter how many times you say it.
Name a club who's won more premierships this century than Geelong.
PS you told me to have a close look at North to see how well their rebuild was going. Wasn't impressed. Miers BOG, Stengle 5 goals, Henry 4 goals.

Geelong's current list management strategy (as you put it) is unsustainable long term, the three young recruits you got from other clubs last year (Bowes, Henry and Bruhn) have hardly set the world on fire this season.

As successful and mightily impressive and consistent your footy club has been since 2007 onwards, it might be time for the Catters to start to hitting the National Draft again and start drafting and developing your next future champions instead of keep going to other club's Well (so to speak)

Small minded nonsense. Same s**t everyone has been dribbling for a decade.

No one expected them to set the world on fire. We don't need them to set the world on fire.

Your club just fielded a team with 11 players recruited from other teams (Cerra, Newman, Docherty, Kennedy, Saad, Acres, McGovern, Young, Fogarty, Martin and Hewett). Geelong today had 8.

If this is such an awful thing maybe have a crack at your own club's recruiting first?

Ah yes.

The bigger trophy for consecutivity award rears its head again 😂😂😂
There’s a reason clubs try to win the flag each year.

Just like there’s a reason clubs who can win back to back are viewed as better than ones who can’t.

Sorry, that’s just the way it is.

Back