Analysis The Rebuild Of Essendon And North Melbourne And Their Future Prospects

Which team has the better on-field prospects?

• Essendon

Votes: 128 46.4%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 148 53.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

North Melbourne will win another flag before essendon wins another final
Look forward to reading your essay on all of Fremantle’s fabulous flag wins.

You won finals? Woohoo. So relevant that nobody remembers.

The one final I remember fondly is the one where you started favourites at home … and were flogged by a B-grade Essendon team at the time.

Last edited:
While things aren't looking good for North, you can still confidently say our rebuild is further ahead on account of the other team being Essendon
Pretty chirpy after your one win in the last 28 and none in 7 years against Essendon.

Your club will be lucky to survive a rebuild.

Enjoy the season.

Pretty chirpy after your one win in the last 28 and none in 7 years against Essendon.

Your club will be lucky to survive a rebuild.

Enjoy the season.
Good grief, take it to a publisher!

Possibly but the world will end long before Freo win a single flag
Yes, We can all dream about that one.
Look forward to reading your essay on all of Fremantle’s fabulous flag wins.

You won finals? Woohoo. So relevant that nobody remembers.

The one final I remember fondly is the one where you started favourites at home … and were flogged by a B-grade Essendon team at the time.
Ah yes freos 1st final in 2003 vs Essendon.

Yes Essendon won against the odds in 2003 , 3 years after the 2000 premiership and 2 years after that 2001 grand final still with a core of those blokes in 2003.

Essendon won one more final and that was in 2004 vs Melbourne.

Dockers on the other hand won their 1st final in 2006 when chris Connolly as Coach.

Dockers next finals win was in 2010. The dockers coach is a very familar person from Essendon. Yep Mark Harvey.

then freo won 4 finals from 2012-5 under ross lyon.

Then another on in 2022 under Justin Longmuir.

I will always savour every final won under those 4 coaches.

While things aren't looking good for North, you can still confidently say our rebuild is further ahead on account of the other team being Essendon

Wait. What?

Essendon had a draw with the reigning Premiers this weekend. North couldn't wish for a draw against last years wooden spooners.

The one win, in the last 27 games for North, was to lose Harley Reid. They should make a movie about it.

I genuinely don't see how you have North winning a Premiership before Essendon. The road travelled is just that.

I have no issues with essendon winning finals.

If Essedon wins a final under Brad Scott, Essedon fans have to promise me to get themselves inebriated or drunk after the finals win. lol

Oh you won't need to worry about that. Essendon fans will celebrate winning a final greater than the Premiers of that year, of that I have no doubt!

Wait. What?

Essendon had a draw with the reigning Premiers this weekend. North couldn't wish for a draw against last years wooden spooners.

The one win, in the last 27 games for North, was to lose Harley Reid. They should make a movie about it.

I genuinely don't see how you have North winning a Premiership before Essendon. The road travelled is just that.

You have to win a final to win a flag. This is beyond Essendon's abilities.

To rebuild, you actually need good young KPPs, of which North have none and Essendon have plenty. Continue performing like this and North may struggle to keep whatever they've drafted.

On top of that, North's only win (a dead rubber against a checked out Gold Coast with no coach) in 26 games or so cost them a generational player. I'm fairly comfortable with Essendon's list over North's.

To rebuild, you actually need good young KPPs, of which North have none and Essendon have plenty. Continue performing like this and North may struggle to keep whatever they've drafted.

On top of that, North's only win (a dead rubber against a checked out Gold Coast with no coach) in 26 games or so cost them a generational player. I'm fairly comfortable with Essendon's list over North's.

It's a common misjudgment, akin to the "Hot Hand Fallacy," where people perceive Essendon's recent on-field successes as indicative of overall improvement. However, they overlook the crucial issue of Essendon's ineptitude in finals football - which will always be a bottleneck.

Theoretically, even you and I as individuals are as close to Essendon to their next flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a common misjudgment, akin to the "Hot Hand Fallacy," where people perceive Essendon's recent on-field successes as indicative of overall improvement. However, they overlook the crucial issue of Essendon's ineptitude in finals football - which will always be a bottleneck.

Theoretically, even you and I as individuals are as close to Essendon to their next flag.
Yeah yeah whatever helps you sleep at night

20 years of zero success and still up there as the most hated in the league. And this poll proves it.

Just wait until it turns around. :tearsofjoy:

Hope the Messiah 'Clarko' is enjoying playing in front of 37 people in Hobart with one of the worst teams in the history of the competition.

We've got a longgg way to go but North are absolutely indescribably woeful.
Remember when Clarko so arrogantly said that Essendon were never in the race to secure his services? After keeping the media at bay for weeks on who would get the great Clarko as coach? What an ego.

Looking forward to seeing how Clarko has assembled his players for the Essendon Kangas game in a few weeks.

I will try and help you out with this one.

In past years during the home and away season, Essendon would win games with a 'run n gun' style of football. It looked great down the middle, it's flashy and it's fun. It will win you enough games against the bottom half of the ladder to sneak into finals and maybe even score you a win or two against a good team that are not playing well on the day.

Catch up to 2024 and Essendon are now playing a pressure game of football. They can go in and get it and have some of the best statistics concerning clearances in the game. The style of play Essendon have adopted under Scott is completely different, and it had to be. Even looking at Anzac Day, Essendon were able to hold the reigning Premiers with some good, hard pressure football.

Gone are the day of run n gun as the Bombers now focus on pressure and clearances. That is how you win finals. But sure, have an emotional connection to the fact that Essendon have been a basketcase since forever and don't consider any of the on-field numbers they're presenting today that are relevant to winning finals.

During the home and away season, Essendon would win game with a 'run n gun' style of football. It looked great down the middle, it's flashy and it's fun. It will win you enough games against the bottom half of the ladder to sneak in to finals and maybe score a win or two against a good team that are not playing well on the day.

Catch up to 2024 and Essendon are now playing a pressure game of football. They can go in and get it and have some of the best statistics concerning clearances in the game. The style of play Essendon have adopted under Scott is completely different, and it had to be.

Gone are the day of run n gun as the Bombers now focus on pressure and clearances. That is how you win finals. But sure, have an emotional connection to the fact that Essendon have been a basketcase since forever and don't consider any of the on-field numbers relevant to winning a final.

Very interesting, let me know when it occurs post the release of Finding Nemo

Engimal v3
Wicked Tuna Fishing GIF by National Geographic Channel

In past years during the home and away season, Essendon would win games with a 'run n gun' style of football. It looked great down the middle, it's flashy and it's fun. It will win you enough games against the bottom half of the ladder to sneak into finals and maybe even score you a win or two against a good team that are not playing well on the day.

Catch up to 2024 and Essendon are now playing a pressure game of football. They can go in and get it and have some of the best statistics concerning clearances in the game. The style of play Essendon have adopted under Scott is completely different, and it had to be. Even looking at Anzac Day, Essendon were able to hold the reigning Premiers with some good, hard pressure football.

Gone are the day of run n gun as the Bombers now focus on pressure and clearances. That is how you win finals. But sure, have an emotional connection to the fact that Essendon have been a basketcase since forever and don't consider any of the on-field numbers they're presenting today that are relevant to winning finals.
He's trolling

These things are hard to tell until the rebuilds are done.

It's fair to say Essendon are cleary in front and looking much more likely to win one before North. I actually think Brad Scott will win you guys some finals.

But you just never know - 10-12 years ago Melbourne were losing games by 180 points and looked destitute. Fans of most clubs would have felt confident they would have won a flag before Mebourne did.

Dons really need our recent first and second round draft picks to take steps forward.

2019 Harrison Jones - Finally fit and has shown some good signs but could still go either way

2020 Cox, Perkins, Reid, Eyre - Very worried about Reid's body, Cox still up in the air and Perkins started the year looking like he'd taken a step forward and Eyre already delisted

2021 Hobbs - A bit vanilla expect he has a solid career though

2022 Tsatas, Hayes- Very worried reminds me of Dow and Hayes looks solid but we have a lot of backman

Come off it Essendons best KPPs are a Gold Coast reclaimation project and a FA from north.

Melbourne is top 4 and don’t have any KPFs and their defence was bought/traded in

Geelongs forward line is one father son and a bunch of free agents/trades.

You don’t have to draft those guys and many teams don’t.

North might be a mess this season but acting like their list is some shambles isn’t true. It’s more of a cultural issue with them

Come off it Essendons best KPPs are a Gold Coast reclaimation project and a FA from north.

Melbourne is top 4 and don’t have any KPFs and their defence was bought/traded in

Geelongs forward line is one father son and a bunch of free agents/trades.

You don’t have to draft those guys and many teams don’t.

North might be a mess this season but acting like their list is some shambles isn’t true. It’s more of a cultural issue with them

North are just bereft of senior leadership to drive standards on and off the field. They’ve got plenty of young talent and I expect they’ll make some strides through the season.

Reckon they should grab an older leader type in the mid season draft as well

Back