Toast The Official Bailey Banfield Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Gone to another level. I'm inclined to think last week was more an anomaly than not. Has kicked some clutch goals this year and his passion is always wicked a spectacle to behold. No one probably feels elation quite like Bailey when kicking his goals, with so many critics. Really, really pumped for him, keep it going my man!!! :D

The wing is definitely where he belongs, has the gut running to bounce up and down the ground and a good long field kick.

I also think he's one of those players who is way better at kicking the longer, more difficult set shot goals than the easier ones.

The wing is definitely where he belongs, has the gut running to bounce up and down the ground and a good long field kick.

I also think he's one of those players who is way better at kicking the longer, more difficult set shot goals than the easier ones.
Bizarre to think we wasted all of last year with Aish, Hughes and Henry on the wing when we had the answer in Banfield in the squad the whole time.

Banners playing wing is similar to Henry's towards the end of last year, running the length and generally keeping his width, while helping out in defense...

Only difference being..

Banners doesn't avoid the contest and kicks goals

If Henry was still here, no chance banners gets to play this role and perhaps been delisted end of year without showing his true potential

I reckon he's kicked 80% of his goals this season when playing as a winger or at the very least starting as a high half forward and pressing up into the midfield around stoppages.

He's a better forward as midfielder is the point I'm trying to make. I just hope should we cop an injury to a small forward again we don't shove Bailey up there and we actually pick a natural forward in that position.

Bizarre to think we wasted all of last year with Aish, Hughes and Henry on the wing when we had the answer in Banfield in the squad the whole time.
Yeah he does my head in sometimes playing as a forward (not his suited position at all IMO) and I don't know why he wasn't tried on the wing more last year (well I do know, we needed to inflate Henrys value).

A lot of it is in the head with him and I think playing in a position which suits his strengths (gut running, tackling pressure ect) means that when he has shots at goal it takes the pressure off a little (goal kicking from your wings is more of a bonus than a requirement).

Yeah he does my head in sometimes playing as a forward (not his suited position at all IMO) and I don't know why he wasn't tried on the wing more last year (well I do know, we needed to inflate Henrys value).

A lot of it is in the head with him and I think playing in a position which suits his strengths (gut running, tackling pressure ect) means that when he has shots at goal it takes the pressure off a little (goal kicking from your wings is more of a bonus than a requirement).
He basically admitted as much in the post game interview that the last goal he just wanted to get the distance as any score meant they needed 3 scores to even tie the game, without the pressure he nailed it from 50 on the boundary line!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember reading something about the absurd confidence Bailey Banfield needs in order to keep applying himself. Turns out the quote was irrational self confidence he needed. Can anyone help getting past the paywall for me?
Screenshot_20240501-123741.png

I remember reading something about the absurd confidence Bailey Banfield needs in order to keep applying himself. Turns out the quote was irrational self confidence he needed. Can anyone help getting past the paywall for me?
View attachment 1976008

Think this is from his interview with Pav after the game, where he kicked 4 against the Lions I think.

Funny how once he gets a roll on he is bit unstoppable lol kicks a few

Imagine the 4 missed goals from Derby. Think errors in game gets in his head. Maybe after seeing a psych he is able to combat it for the following week lol

Who had Banners potentially being a top 30 player 😂 what a wild year!
Hehehe, no one did to be fair, everyone would have groaned seeing him in the round 1 team - myself included. Sometimes things change, and we can get something wrong. It's been an up & down career for Bailey and even he must pinch himself at times, but inner-belief is everything and eventually the wheel turns. Bailey is tearing down the house this year, it's not like he was the ONLY bad player against the Toast that night...

I just hope he keeps it going, the more form our squad has, not just a player in the team the more you feel confident in who is getting selected as the team finds cohesion and balance.

Nah. Never in doubt!

More annoying was preseason all talk about b22 and his name not even mentioned, like he didn't exist.

People saying he didn't deserve a spot on the list even

Guess I had that irrational support for banners

I know how quick sentiment can change though for him..even after one bad game.

Against Weagles he wasn't even bad outside of the missed shots but was scapegoated

Last edited:
Would love to see banners linking up through the middle and kicking it long into the fwd line.

Like that play in the first with the give from Fyfe where he kicks it long to Jackson one out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back