Resource The 'not worthy of a thread of its own' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of a history question for fans a bit older than I am, brought to bear by a question on the stats board with Jack Gunston boomeranging back to the Hawks after one year at the Lions in 2023. Got me thinking as to what circumstance saw both Ken Newland and Ian Hampshire leave Geelong at the end of 1975 to both join Footscray in 1976. Hampshire finished his playing days at the Dogs and then coached them from mid 1982 to the end of '83, whilst Newland returned to Geelong after just the 1976 season at the Dogs.

Bill Goggin coached the Dogs that season, being a former team mate of both players at the Cats. Could he have swayed the two Cats to join the kennel up the road? Perhaps Rod Ollson after becoming the Cats coach in 1976 felt neither were part of his plans? Were they upset at Polly Farmer not being renewed as coach after his 24-42 record from '73-75 at Geelong?

I was just 7 in the '75-76 pre-season and have no memory of what caused this, any older Cat fans recall the circumstances of these players switching for the '76 season?

Re Bluey Hampshire - i read a humorous story/tale a few years back- worth a mention i reckon - remember the old end of season players trips - where the players could get up to a bit of mischief - a few fun and games

Well Footscray one year had one interstate and Bluey Hampshire was rooming with Teddy Whitten Jnr - and Teddy had gone to a Joke shop and bought this trick soap which would release a blue dye - and he said Bluey Hampshire couldnt work out why his hair kept going blue - boy that would have been funny to see

Footy Survivor Season 3 is now open - Live Event - Footy Survivor 3 - Never Surrender

All info available in the first post of the thread, but for a quick overview

18 clubs enter. 1 club leaves.

• Teams start on 20 votes.

• Pick one team to give a + vote, one team to give a - vote.

• Recalculate the club scores from the post before yours, include them under your votes.

• Post. **

• When a club gets to 0 points they are voted out and take no more part in the game.

• RULE CHANGE: Supporters MAY NOT keep voting if their club is voted out.

• THERE MUST BE AT LEAST ONE HOUR BETWEEN YOUR VOTES - you can vote as often as you like but remember that rule. Votes made within an hour of your last valid vote are invalid.

• If you vote at least once, AND the club you support wins, you get a badge!

• RULE CHANGE: QUICKSAND! After a few days, every evening all clubs will lose 0 to 5 votes as they sink into the mud. If I remember to do it.

• @ your fellow supporters for reinforcements. Plan your strat on your club board. All's fair in love and Footy Survivor 2: Electric Rejectaloo

Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere, but Mick Turner, arguably Geelong’s greatest wingman (and talented forward) was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in February. The HUN is reporting in the tiniest of snippets today that Turner responded well to gruelling chemotherapy and is “currently cancer free”.

The Doc was not only an exceptional Sports Medico, but an enormous contributor at both board and corporate level. Doubt we'll ever be blessed with another, Dr Kevin Threlfall. More's the pity.

Vale Kevin Threlfall: Geelong doctor, board member and president’s impact on the club over three decades
Kevin Threlfall was a renowned figure at the Cats, and he helped Sam Newman reach an historic milestone. A Cats great and a former vice-president reflect on Threlfall’s legacy after his passing.

Sam Newman had been plagued by ankle injuries for years.

The Geelong legend managed to reach 300 games – at that stage a club record – despite these concerns, and club doctor Kevin Threlfall was pivotal in getting him there.

Ankle injuries were far more devastating at the top level in the 1970s with the lack of treatment available.

Medical magician Dr Kevin Threlfall strapped Newman with moleskin tape sourced from the United States. Geelong great Bruce Nankervis recalls it being “special” at the time, but it is now commonly used.

It had a significant effect, allowing Newman to prolong his career and reach the 300-game milestone.

“Sam was the only one that could have the tape because it was a special tape and Sam had a number of problems with his ankle,” Geelong great Bruce Nankervis said.

“They brought it in from overseas there’s no doubt that it helped Sam play on and helped Sam play a number of games. He was very innovative Kevin, he always looked at something different.”

This was just one of many recovery stories from long-time Geelong doctor and board member Threlfall, who passed away at the age of 94 on November 27.

Another involves Nankervis himself, who had struggled with a groin setback.

The doctor took Nankervis to America in the mid to late 70s, where Nankervis received valuable advice from medical experts that had a different approach to practitioners in Australia.

Threlfall also treated American footballers on that trip and had such success with his inferential therapy machine that those players wanted it for themselves.

“We treated a number of gridiron players with it and there was one particular player who had a fair bit of swelling,” Nankervis said.

“After a couple of treatments that started to disappear and they showed a lot of interest. By the time we left basically they wanted to buy the machine and do this and do that but because it came through customs you couldn’t do that.

“And by the time we came back after those weeks my groin was improving, just from isometric exercises and things like that they taught us, which was good.”

Two revered members of the AFL Draft field also benefited from the innovation and meticulous care of Threlfall during their playing days.

Former Geelong Falcons talent manager Mick Turner, who notched up 245 games across a 14-year career for the Cats, and AFL Talent Ambassador Kevin Sheehan (102 games) were both helped through injury blows by Threlfall.

He served as club doctor for 25 years from 1958-1983, and players were always welcome at his practice on Villamanta Street in Geelong, where there were plenty of gadgets that nursed them back to health.

HIGHS AND LOWS

Threlfall was with the Cats through the good times and the bad.

In the early years of his tenure Threlfall was medical officer when Geelong won the 1963 premiership.

Two decades later, he helped guide club through financial peril.

The Geelong life member was renowned for his medical work, he also sat on Geelong’s board for 27 years from 1960-1987, including four years as president of the club from 1983-1987.

Former Geelong vice-president Bob Gartland spoke highly of Threlfall, saying that his legacy still lives on at the club.

He was a true Geelong man in the pure sense of that phrase. He loved Geelong, he loved Geelong Football Club and Geelong Football Club and Geelong people loved him,” Gartland said.

“He did a great job at our club, he was a great servant for our club when things were pretty tough. He has been there for the best and the worst of it.

“He was a caring fellow and I can’t remember one bad comment about Kevin Threlfall. He was just a very generous, giving, caring person to everyone he met. His care for the players was paramount and he was quite innovative too with the things.”

Nankervis said the hard work and sacrifice of Threlfall led Geelong in the right direction.

“When he was president, when he started in 1983 there were issues within the club financially and things like that so he steadied that,” Nankervis said.

“Kevin kind of stabilised it all and headed it in the right direction.”

Nankervis will speak at Threlfall’s funeral on Wednesday, where the much-loved figure will be remembered.

“He was a character, he always had a bit of a hum about him. You’d hear him humming – humming was one of his ways with all the medical things going on,” Nankervis said.

“But very supportive of us at the football club. I have spoken to a number of players and no one had a bad word about him.”

HS 05/12/2023

Hey folks, I put together a bit of a video essay on the Cats' rise over the last 20 years or so. It's hard to encapsulate that entire time frame in 15 minutes, but I hope some on here might enjoy it

Cheers, thanks man. I was thinking it might just be one of those highlights videos but this looks way more in-depth so I'll sit down and watch with lunch!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere, but Mick Turner, arguably Geelong’s greatest wingman (and talented forward) was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in February. The HUN is reporting in the tiniest of snippets today that Turner responded well to gruelling chemotherapy and is “currently cancer free”.

Sounds as though he is fighting, unsurprisingly.

Been catching up on the club/Cameron Ling's excellent (so far) ''Legends of Kardinia Park'' interviews over the past couple of days; Ling is at his best in his brief and his guests have all been great so far; Riccardi, Fred Wooller, Chappy.

I'm just watching the Mick Turner interview now and he is a really sharp historian; the guy has excellent recall and a no-nonsense delivery.

This - and the whole series to date - is well worth a look

I saw only the tail end of Mick Turner's career.
When I first decided to semi-randomly support Geelong (there was no lineage established to decree it so) Turner was reputedly our best player - the Cats were rarely on television, I hadn't quite yet discovered 3GL/radio coverage, and I lived too far away to attend games (and had no one amenable to taking me).
He always seemed to be injured.
By the time I finally got to see the Cats live at Kardinia Park (by which time I'd seen plenty of replays and was listening to the lives calls on the radio weekly) it was an emerging talent by the name of Gary Ablett that caught my eye. Not sure Turner played that day, either.

But I eventually got to see a banged-up yet still Fast Twitch-y Turner play live a few times.
He was mainly stationed in the forward pocket by this point, but he still had plenty of swagger.

There is great footage of Turner in his prime available. I missed it, but got a glimpse.

There is a final in the early 80s which I believe we ultimately lost; Turner was supreme that day; freakishly assured in contested marking situations. Probably the 1980 Prelim. Well worth a look despite the depressing outcome. Maybe.

A lesson in loyalty 5year old grandson second week at school in QLD had a visit from the Brisbane Lions signing up kids for Auskick and giving out free Lions jumpers he said he wanted to play footy but he wouldn't take the jumper he was a Cats supporter they couldn't talk him into it .He's been to 3 games 2 GCS and a Lions game for no wins and only one chance this year V lions.

A lesson in loyalty 5year old grandson second week at school in QLD had a visit from the Brisbane Lions signing up kids for Auskick and giving out free Lions jumpers he said he wanted to play footy but he wouldn't take the jumper he was a Cats supporter they couldn't talk him into it .He's been to 3 games 2 GCS and a Lions game for no wins and only one chance this year V lions.
Celebration Force GIF by LEGO

Irrespective of the fact he follows Geelong, much respect to the man for sticking to his team

One of my mates was in Year 12 back in 1999 and he'd wear his Collingwood jumper to casual days, despite being bottom of the ladder. He always maintained that he was proud to follow Collingwood, and didn't care what others said or thought

Didn't think this is worthy of its own thread. But found out recently Geelong bid on Errol Gulden in 2020 (Sydney Academy #32, Geelong picked Shannon Neale at #33), and then Marcus Windhager in 2021 (St Kilda NGA #47, Geelong drafted Flynn Kroeger At #48)

From memory, they changed the academy rules recently which means Sydney wouldnt have been able to match Gulden. But St Kilda would have been able to match for Windhager still.

I know its not worth out brain cells by dwelling on past drafts and missed players, and geelong obviously got some wins recently before they changed the rules on Father Son picks. But I found it really interesting what could have been. Imagine a 2020 draft haul of Holmes and Gulden, followed by trading in Ollie Henry and Tanner Bruhn.

Any other examples people can think of? I'm not fully across the adamedy situation with JUH, but sounds like he could have easily ended up at the cats?

Didn't think this is worthy of its own thread. But found out recently Geelong bid on Errol Gulden in 2020 (Sydney Academy #32, Geelong picked Shannon Neale at #33), and then Marcus Windhager in 2021 (St Kilda NGA #47, Geelong drafted Flynn Kroeger At #48)

From memory, they changed the academy rules recently which means Sydney wouldnt have been able to match Gulden. But St Kilda would have been able to match for Windhager still.

I know its not worth out brain cells by dwelling on past drafts and missed players, and geelong obviously got some wins recently before they changed the rules on Father Son picks. But I found it really interesting what could have been. Imagine a 2020 draft haul of Holmes and Gulden, followed by trading in Ollie Henry and Tanner Bruhn.

Any other examples people can think of? I'm not fully across the adamedy situation with JUH, but sounds like he could have easily ended up at the cats?
I don't think we'd of got Errol with the new rules still. I believe the NSW and QLD academies are treated like father sons, they get them regardless where they are picked if they choose to match. It's the NGA academy picks that they have made that can no longer be inside the top 40.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back