Resource The 'not worthy of a thread of its own' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hoping someone here can help me: I'm heading to the game Friday. Back in the days of analog radio I used to enjoy listening to the call live in one ear while at the ground.. but digital radio streams have a delay so the commentary is not lined up with the live action. Haven't tried in a while.. is that still an issue or is there someway I can get a truly live broadcast at the ground?

Hoping someone here can help me: I'm heading to the game Friday. Back in the days of analog radio I used to enjoy listening to the call live in one ear while at the ground.. but digital radio streams have a delay so the commentary is not lined up with the live action. Haven't tried in a while.. is that still an issue or is there someway I can get a truly live broadcast at the ground?

SEN has a similiar option too I think.

Both are not analogue radio options however.

GO Catters

Could be the first year in a long time that no Geelong players are awarded AA.

Jezza started in 'lock' form, but went off the rails after being concussed. Tommy Stewart's form has been indifferent. Gryan Miers is a possibility but unlikely, IMO

As we probably all do, YT throws a lot of Cats videos at me and I just caught the highlights from the 2018 Good Monday game.

Can't believe we had Selwood, Danger, Ablett, Kelly, and Guthrie running through the middle... and still lost!

Man, that's a midfield we could only dream of now.

As we probably all do, YT throws a lot of Cats videos at me and I just caught the highlights from the 2018 Good Monday game.

Can't believe we had Selwood, Danger, Ablett, Kelly, and Guthrie running through the middle... and still lost!

Man, that's a midfield we could only dream of now.

Not a lot of two way running there

Gold from Shagga.

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grand Final streaming advice: I want to watch the Grand Final via 7Play but when I plug in our projector it seems to block it. Kayo works so I presume they've got some way of stopping people from relaying vision. Does anyone know how to get around that?

Can GFC excommunicate the grub otherwise know as John 'Sam' Newman?
You have to wonder if he is just doing his outrage schtick to get some mentions of his podcast, or is he really that tone deaf. That voice is an Aussie issue so I don't know all the sides, but surely there would be a better way to express an alternative opinion.

Evening Cats boys and girls, I come in peace.

Random question but St Kilda just put out a video about the 66' cup and I saw this in the video and was hoping some Cats fans might be able to shed more light on it? Interested as I've never seen a single cup for multiple flags and I'm sure each club was given the chance to buy their cups back in the mid 00's?

1695971645298.png

Bit of a history question for fans a bit older than I am, brought to bear by a question on the stats board with Jack Gunston boomeranging back to the Hawks after one year at the Lions in 2023. Got me thinking as to what circumstance saw both Ken Newland and Ian Hampshire leave Geelong at the end of 1975 to both join Footscray in 1976. Hampshire finished his playing days at the Dogs and then coached them from mid 1982 to the end of '83, whilst Newland returned to Geelong after just the 1976 season at the Dogs.

Bill Goggin coached the Dogs that season, being a former team mate of both players at the Cats. Could he have swayed the two Cats to join the kennel up the road? Perhaps Rod Ollson after becoming the Cats coach in 1976 felt neither were part of his plans? Were they upset at Polly Farmer not being renewed as coach after his 24-42 record from '73-75 at Geelong?

I was just 7 in the '75-76 pre-season and have no memory of what caused this, any older Cat fans recall the circumstances of these players switching for the '76 season?

Bit of a history question for fans a bit older than I am, brought to bear by a question on the stats board with Jack Gunston boomeranging back to the Hawks after one year at the Lions in 2023. Got me thinking as to what circumstance saw both Ken Newland and Ian Hampshire leave Geelong at the end of 1975 to both join Footscray in 1976. Hampshire finished his playing days at the Dogs and then coached them from mid 1982 to the end of '83, whilst Newland returned to Geelong after just the 1976 season at the Dogs.

Bill Goggin coached the Dogs that season, being a former team mate of both players at the Cats. Could he have swayed the two Cats to join the kennel up the road? Perhaps Rod Ollson after becoming the Cats coach in 1976 felt neither were part of his plans? Were they upset at Polly Farmer not being renewed as coach after his 24-42 record from '73-75 at Geelong?

I was just 7 in the '75-76 pre-season and have no memory of what caused this, any older Cat fans recall the circumstances of these players switching for the '76 season?

Billy Goggin recruited Bluey Hampshire about 5-6 games into the 76 season - simply because he needed a 2nd ruckman because he had got rid of Barry Round - and Bluey was in the Geel 2nds at the time . Newlands prior to 76 had been dropped quite a few times - because im pretty sure he played in a Geel reserves premiership team - so they both knew Goggin and went to the Scrays for better opportunities - Newlands didnt do much - but Hampshire had a good career with Footscray - played well about 100 odd games

The other interesting one is Peter Featherby - the knock on him at times was that he wasnt hard enough . he played for Footscray in 76 when Goggin was coach - and i was told by a very reliable source at the time in the 77 pre season they were having an intra club practise match at Skinner Reserve Sunshine - and Goggin wanted them to improve - i think they finished 5th in 76 - he wanted to win a Footscray Premiership - any how in this practise match Featherby didnt chase an opponent - and Goggin went right off at him in front of everyone - yelling/screaming out at him - chase him - bloody chase him - come on chase him . Any how Featherby got the sulks - and the following week quit and went back to WA - then joined Geel in 79 mid season - following year Goggin became Geel coach - and they must have buried the hatchet - because in 81 Featherby won the Cats B/F

Goggin also took some Geel West players with him - i think Graham Linke might have played about 20 games with Footscray

Billy Goggin recruited Bluey Hampshire about 5-6 games into the 76 season - simply because he needed a 2nd ruckman because he had got rid of Barry Round - and Bluey was in the Geel 2nds at the time . Newlands prior to 76 had been dropped quite a few times - because im pretty sure he played in a Geel reserves premiership team - so they both knew Goggin and went to the Scrays for better opportunities - Newlands didnt do much - but Hampshire had a good career with Footscray - played well about 100 odd games

The other interesting one is Peter Featherby - the knock on him at times was that he wasnt hard enough . he played for Footscray in 76 when Goggin was coach - and i was told by a very reliable source at the time in the 77 pre season they were having an intra club practise match at Skinner Reserve Sunshine - and Goggin wanted them to improve - i think they finished 5th in 76 - he wanted to win a Footscray Premiership - any how in this practise match Featherby didnt chase an opponent - and Goggin went right off at him in front of everyone - yelling/screaming out at him - chase him - bloody chase him - come on chase him . Any how Featherby got the sulks - and the following week quit and went back to WA - then joined Geel in 79 mid season - following year Goggin became Geel coach - and they must have buried the hatchet - because in 81 Featherby won the Cats B/F

Goggin also took some Geel West players with him - i think Graham Linke might have played about 20 games with Footscray
Fantastic recollections Goggin Our Best
I was young but I remember Newland , Linke and Bluey(vaguely)
Was it Featherby who had > 50 touches in a game?

Fantastic recollections Goggin Our Best
I was young but I remember Newland , Linke and Bluey(vaguely)
Was it Featherby who had > 50 touches in a game?
Indeed thanks for that Goggin Our Best as well, that was probably about 18 months before I have reliable memories of Geelong's fortunes in the VFL, my first game i went to was the Rd 6 game 1977 where Donohue kicked 8 and Geelong beat the Dees by 50 points. Also the day Hawthorn kicked 25.41 against St.Kilda, and the Pies thrashed Carlton by 100 points!

Insofar as Featherby, who looks like perhaps was the first of a lineage of Cat centremen who liked getting the pill...Greg Williams, Joel Corey and Tim Kelly come to mind subsequent to Peter. It was the game against Melbourne in 1981, ironically the 2nd highest behind tally in footy...22.35.167 was Geelong's output that day, and Featherby had 48 possessions, of which 40 were kicks. In a team total that day of 357 possies, Feathers had about 12% of the side's tally!

We need to give the delisted Cooper Whyte's #11 to a big possession-getter I reckon for 2024 and beyond, just hope that whoever that may be doesn't leave for greener pastures like Williams and Kelly did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back