Food & Drink The Hangar Coffee Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Well yes that's given with aluminium...my poor ice cream scoop....

thats another thing! i actually was about to buy one for my parents - i happened to look on the box and it said, not suitable for induction cookers, which they have

i had no idea that some pots/pans worked on induction and some dont.

apparently stainless steel yes, aluminum no. If in doubt, put a magnet on it. Lesson learned.

thats another thing! i actually was about to buy one for my parents - i happened to look on the box and it said, not suitable for induction cookers, which they have

i had no idea that some pots/pans worked on induction and some dont.

apparently stainless steel yes, aluminum no. If in doubt, put a magnet on it. Lesson learned.

Induction scares me. I prefer heat I can quantify by sight.

I used to tamp down the finest grounds, but the metallic taste was from the filthy oxidised pot (it doesn't matter how many times i tell my wife not to put aluminium or wood in the dishwasher.)

Yeh I'm not fan...feels like some kind of witchcraft
It's shitty witchcraft too. We've got induction and it's horrible. All of the heat is on the surface. It is really contact dependant so sections that aren't sitting flat on the surface contacting the element will sit raw while the rest cooks. I hate it i hate it i hate it. Hate.

It's shitty witchcraft too. We've got induction and it's horrible. All of the heat is on the surface. It is really contact dependant so sections that aren't sitting flat on the surface contacting the element will sit raw while the rest cooks. I hate it i hate it i hate it. Hate.
Induction works very well if you have a flat bottom pan.

Cast iron works a treat too.

Alas we have 1 flat bottom cast iron pot, the rest are stainless with a thick rimmed base leaving a circle in the middle a few mm shallower than the rest.

I've learned to adjust but next house or next stove I'd prefer to go back to gas.

Back on topic, I still have a great mocha pot which I haven't been able to use since we moved here. I used to pack the grounds in and tamp with the spoon i was using, not too hard. Then put on medium burner and medium flame, then come running as soon as i heard it making a noise, never let it burn dry.

Never thought of cold vs warm water, i just used water direct from the filter tap

I love coffee but I suffer from diverticulitis and have worked out that caffeine is a major instigator of flare ups so have reduced my intake. Only have one cup each morning. I need my daily fix.

I love coffee but I suffer from diverticulitis and have worked out that caffeine is a major instigator of flare ups so have reduced my intake. Only have one cup each morning. I need my daily fix.
I take you don't dig decaf at all?

When we had a nespresso we'd get the decaf pods every now and then and I couldn't tell the difference.

When we had a nespresso we'd get the decaf pods every now and then and I couldn't tell the difference.
They lack the zing. It is like drinking 0% beer. No taste, no alcohol, so why bother!

That said, I know someone with diverticulitis and it would give anyone the shits.

I did try decaf and I have some at home that I use but I find it doesn't give me the pep I need in the morning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

$45 a bag!

I'll report findings
That’s a lotta money for a random blend. One is of unmarked origin, the other is arabica beans from Central and South America, which is about as nondescript as you can get without actually not having a description.

It’s not exactly single origin, fair trade, organic & pooped by a ferret...

That’s a lotta money for a random blend. One is of unmarked origin, the other is arabica beans from Central and South America, which is about as nondescript as you can get without actually not having a description.

it has cute pictures on it though...

I looked on their website, seems like they source ethically, but you can't be 100% sure. Central/South would most likely be Brazil/Colombia, and the other might have a splash of Robusta (which isn't inherently bad, good quality Robusta can add great body and beautiful flavours to a cup, I'm actually going to visit a Robusta farm in India later this month). They've probably bought beans through a importer who works more directly with producers.

....don't get me started on Kopi Luwak.

Just gotta say, “pooped by a ferret” is one of the best things I read this week.

I looked on their website, seems like they source ethically, but you can't be 100% sure. Central/South would most likely be Brazil/Colombia, and the other might have a splash of Robusta (which isn't inherently bad, good quality Robusta can add great body and beautiful flavours to a cup, I'm actually going to visit a Robusta farm in India later this month). They've probably bought beans through a importer who works more directly with producers.

....don't get me started on Kopi Luwak.
Visited a Kopi Lewak farm in Bali. Ethical farming is somewhat foreign to the Balinese.

Exactly, not to mention instances of people selling coffee claiming to be Lowak when it isnt.
Let's keep a native animal in a cage the size of a small dog in a cage for it's entire life so we can collect it's s**t.....

Who the * comes up with this kind of insanity?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back