Food & Drink The Hangar Coffee Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So.... Coffee tasted the same, very good. That unsettling the top crust and letting it fall trick changes everything! Normally you push and there is a decent amount of resistance, this time I unsettled the muck, let it sit a couple more mins then put the lid on, I gave it a small push for interests sake, almost zero resistance, it had all dropped to the bottom. I assume in the act of dropping it probably gives a final hit of flavour too?

Good find!

IMG_20200727_133307.jpg

IMG_20200727_134939.jpg

Clean enough, with no silt remains.

Happy customers again today

I highly recommend anyone wanting to red pill coffee to check out this channel. Someone mentioned crema before; he recently put out a 15 minute video on crema alone 🤪
Oh dear hahahaha.

I feel like Vittoria beans (mentioned somewhere north of here) wouldn't have any crema... I buy fresh roasted and you can definitely tell when they get old, the water runs through with virtually no resistance even when it's very finely ground. 🤢 Pretty astringent flavour when you do that too! Nasty.

Oh dear hahahaha.

I feel like Vittoria beans (mentioned somewhere north of here) wouldn't have any crema... I buy fresh roasted and you can definitely tell when they get old, the water runs through with virtually no resistance even when it's very finely ground. 🤢 Pretty astringent flavour when you do that too! Nasty.

Haha well the notion of crema as a sign of quality is due to clever marketing (watch the video) and pretty much is the same thing as the foam on beer or soft drink from a chemistry perspective. So it would make sense that old coffee would have no foam, as over time coffee beans release the CO2 that form during roasting. So it's kinda like flat lemonade! (Although I like flat lemonade)

Haha well the notion of crema as a sign of quality is due to clever marketing (watch the video) and pretty much is the same thing as the foam on beer or soft drink from a chemistry perspective. So it would make sense that old coffee would have no foam, as over time coffee beans release the CO2 that form during roasting. So it's kinda like flat lemonade! (Although I like flat lemonade)
Will do (when I can have sound on).

Mr Bultitude what do you think of cold brew? I am considering getting into it. Also tips on grinders/ keeping beans fresh etc.
I know you didn’t ask me but I’ve been getting into that lately with warmer weather incoming. Biggest issue for me is fines coming through the grind (basically if you don’t have something like an EK43 it’s gonna happen). I’ve been trying to take most of the fines out with a fine sieve and filtering via v60 once brewed and it comes out pretty good. There’s a million options for brewers out there but they mostly do the same, if you buy a better one than me you might not get the fines issue.

I tend to buy beans and run through them within a fortnight which works well but if you’re looking at bigger quantities may be worth a look at a vacuum canister. I’m not at all affiliated but the guys at alternative brewing have been super helpful with stuff and I’ve got multiple presses, espresso, pour over and now cold brewer.

I know you didn’t ask me but I’ve been getting into that lately with warmer weather incoming. Biggest issue for me is fines coming through the grind (basically if you don’t have something like an EK43 it’s gonna happen). I’ve been trying to take most of the fines out with a fine sieve and filtering via v60 once brewed and it comes out pretty good. There’s a million options for brewers out there but they mostly do the same, if you buy a better one than me you might not get the fines issue.

I tend to buy beans and run through them within a fortnight which works well but if you’re looking at bigger quantities may be worth a look at a vacuum canister. I’m not at all affiliated but the guys at alternative brewing have been super helpful with stuff and I’ve got multiple presses, espresso, pour over and now cold brewer.
This is exactly what I was after. Thanks.

This is exactly what I was after. Thanks.

This is all hunky dory guys! Yeah AB are a great website and resource. I don't mind a bit of cold brew, but I feel like you lose some of the complexity of flavour as you're not brewing with hot water. However alternatively brewing hot and then chilling leads to a certain oxidation taste sometimes. But either way, it's still a fun way to enjoy coffee in the summer, and you can add mixers in, like ginger beer or tonic water, it plays well with others compared to espresso.

Additionally, here's a fun coffee summer project, this is my preferred way of enjoying cold coffee.

That is really good clip! Where do you buy your gear Mr Bultitude

Hoffman is the king, he's a voice worth listening to. Has a great channel to check out if you want to red pill on coffee haha.

Tbh, I don't have a crazy amount of gear at home! I've always been able to enjoy coffee at work on demand, so the incentive to brew at home isn't that strong. I've always gotten gear from places I work as I usually get a bit of a discount, but if I didn't have that privilege I'd go to Alternative Brewing.

Hoffman is the king, he's a voice worth listening to. Has a great channel to check out if you want to red pill on coffee haha.

Tbh, I don't have a crazy amount of gear at home! I've always been able to enjoy coffee at work on demand, so the incentive to brew at home isn't that strong. I've always gotten gear from places I work as I usually get a bit of a discount, but if I didn't have that privilege I'd go to Alternative Brewing.
Yeah I ended up down a Hoffman rabbit hole one day, almost convinced me I need about 4 diff pour over devices

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So here's a covid question worth asking, how has the pandemic changed your coffee drinking out there?

I'm about to invest in a brewing machine so I don't have to rely on pour overs and aeropress at home so much. Also has a timed brew so I look forward to waking up do a fresh carafe of filter goodness.

I've also tried to keep up visits to my local, even more so in an attempt to support them.

So here's a covid question worth asking, how has the pandemic changed your coffee drinking out there?

I'm about to invest in a brewing machine so I don't have to rely on pour overs and aeropress at home so much. Also has a timed brew so I look forward to waking up do a fresh carafe of filter goodness.

I've also tried to keep up visits to my local, even more so in an attempt to support them.
I'm considering a move to espresso martinis

I've been working in coffee for almost a decade, and I've never had one...
Don’t get me wrong… I still reckon that coffee should usually only be consumed without anything other than coffee and water but I don’t mind an espresso martini when the mood strikes.

They’re all the rage now

Reckon I still prefer Irish coffee but it seems strange for a connoisseur not to have tried it 🤔🤔

Yeah they're so popular, think I see it as a gimmick so I've avoided it 😝 but I should give it a shot. Saying that, I had a DAMN fine Irish coffee the other day (Bar Margaux).

Don’t get me wrong… I still reckon that coffee should usually only be consumed without anything other than coffee and water but I don’t mind an espresso martini when the mood strikes.

Look up caffe corretto 🤤

Remove this Banner Ad

Back