Food & Drink The Hangar Coffee Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

How long does it take to make one Doss ?
I used to use a mocha pot and the answer is not long. 1 minute to prepare, from memory about 3 or 4 minutes on a medium heat. The key is not to wander too far away as it burns very quickly if you let it gurgle (my jargon, don't know the coffee nerd term) for too long.

Was a quality coffee though, only stopped using the mocha pot when we moved into our new house which has an induction cooktop, mocha pot isn't magnetic.

I used to use a mocha pot and the answer is not long. 1 minute to prepare, from memory about 3 or 4 minutes on a medium heat. The key is not to wander too far away as it burns very quickly if you let it gurgle (my jargon, don't know the coffee nerd term) for too long.

Was a quality coffee though, only stopped using the mocha pot when we moved into our new house which has an induction cooktop, mocha pot isn't magnetic.

Looks like the one Doss uses is made for induction 🤔

I upped my coffee game this week.
Replaced my 7 year old Mocha Pot with a new one.
You don’t realise how dirty they get till you see a new one next to it.

Also bought a Bodum burr grinder, only 100 clams (on special). Grinds nicely.
Definately an improvement over pre ground, but not really a night and day difference like I’ve often heard.

I upped my coffee game this week.
Replaced my 7 year old Mocha Pot with a new one.
You don’t realise how dirty they get till you see a new one next to it.

Also bought a Bodum burr grinder, only 100 clams (on special). Grinds nicely.
Definately an improvement over pre ground, but not really a night and day difference like I’ve often heard.
I used to grind enough for 2 or 3 days and keep it in an airtight container. I couldn't really tell the difference between fresh and day 3.

I will say the smell of freshly ground coffee is amazing, I do miss that.

We got given a nespresso machine when we moved in here so that combined with my mocha pot not being induction compatible means i've gotten very lazy

Last edited:
They're WAY overrated.

I like coffee but don't enjoy an espresso martini at all.
Third alternative for an after dinner drink would be hot black coffee sweetened to taste (filter or Nespresso, whatever your preference), stir in a shot of kahlua and float 1cm of aerated cream on top. To aerate the cream, shake with ice in a cocktail shaker (not whipped or you’ll have a puddle of oil floating on your drink, Dylan Shiel style 😜). I usually would put it in a wine glass coz ytf not, but be careful not to shatter the glass with the hot coffee.

Espresso martini tastes more like it’s for people who like drinking straight espresso… which is not many people. I think you can get it premixed in a mason jar with like salted caramel flavouring or whatever though, which is perfect for that crowd 😂

Third alternative for an after dinner drink would be hot black coffee sweetened to taste (filter or Nespresso, whatever your preference), stir in a shot of kahlua and float 1cm of aerated cream on top. To aerate the cream, shake with ice in a cocktail shaker (not whipped or you’ll have a puddle of oil floating on your drink, Dylan Shiel style 😜). I usually would put it in a wine glass coz ytf not, but be careful not to shatter the glass with the hot coffee.

Espresso martini tastes more like it’s for people who like drinking straight espresso… which is not many people. I think you can get it premixed in a mason jar with like salted caramel flavouring or whatever though, which is perfect for that crowd 😂

The premixed ones are even worse, they taste like instant coffee, bleurgh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr Bultitude I never did actually buy that liqueur, completely forgot. Really must remember next time...

Heard of Vincenzo Curcio beans? (not the kind that you cut with dental floss)

Hey Lore,

Sorry about the late reply, been busy!

I can do one better, I used to roast their beans via a previous job (we contract roast for various clients). What's your thoughts?

Also after a 5 year hiatus I'm back in the barista saddle!

If you're in the Ashburton area and wanna talk coffee (and maybe footy) I'll be at Joe Frank 😊
There is a cracking cafe called Golden Child tucked on near Burwood station. One of my wife and my all time favourites.

Hey Lore,

Sorry about the late reply, been busy!

I can do one better, I used to roast their beans via a previous job (we contract roast for various clients). What's your thoughts?
By pure happenstance I was at a restaurant and got a cap after the meal a couple of weeks ago, which is something I basically never do because it's nearly always bad, or not as good as what I can make myself at least.

But I did anyway on that particular occasion and it was the best coffee I've ever had, certainly when buying it out and probably ever.

I ended up buying a bag of beans from the barista (which is also a strange thing to do at a restaurant that doesn't have coffee beans for sale as a general thing, though it was an item in the till). I haven't actually opened it yet as I still have the previous batch to get through but I'm hoping it wasn't a one-off 😝

Remove this Banner Ad

Back