The BigFooty Aston Villa Army

Remove this Banner Ad

So proud of the young lads last night in the FA cup against Liverpool. It is so great to watch how far us Villains have come this season, Smith & Co has us playing entertaining soccer this season. Hoping we can get some discussion ITT soon.

We have a bit of discussion in the Matchday threads but you're right it's pretty quiet in here. Especially considering how well we are doing, had you told me at the start if the season that we would be 8th or "equal 4th" I would have said you were mad.

Yep!

This thread went quiet except for the odd post from a few of us who were still going through the pain of trying to get match feeds in the championship, especially that first season when it wasn't so easy to subscribe to the shitty AVTV feeds (AVFC the pride live on FB was a great source of blokes standing in the Holte and other areas streaming the entire games from their phones haha).

This season has been immense. I'm praying the current COVID outbreak at Bodymoor Heath doesn't cause any of the players any long-term effects. I know that Newcastle have been dealing with this. Some of their players were hit pretty hard physically from the virus.

This thread went quiet except for the odd post from a few of us who were still going through the pain of trying to get match feeds in the championship
For the playoff I was on a work conference in Fiji. Watched on my phone at stupid o'clock, think it was about 4am. Rocked up to breakfast in 1998 AST Computers Villa kit after we won promotion, it was awesome.

Has been surprising this year. Smith looked out of his depth last season, one dimensional and at times tactically inept but has proven me and a lot of Villa fans wrong. The team has been excellent and consistently competitive and the current position is more than deserved and not a product of luck. Love Watkins as a player as well, who knows what happens when Wesley comes back.

For the playoff I was on a work conference in Fiji. Watched on my phone at stupid o'clock, think it was about 4am. Rocked up to breakfast in 1998 AST Computers Villa kit after we won promotion, it was awesome.
I did have an away one (think it was AST computers) that was white with claret and blue, assume that was about 1998. Has Dublin on the back. Threw that out a couple of years ago though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noticed a few Spurs supporters saying we shoud have to play the same side we used vs Liverpool, please...

Good to see we have them scared though

Those Spurs fans are just cheap little pansies who want a free three points.

I hope we murder them when the fixture is played.

Don't stray into the broader expanses of bigfooty that often, thanks for the tag Royboy2, I had no Idea this thread was even here. I thought Smith looked pretty decent in our first season back in the prem until McGinn, Heaton & Wesley were injured in a series of weeks = at that stage it felt like we playing alright just weren't scoring enough goals. This season, I just can't believe how solid we look defensively even with Mings having his occasional brain farts.

Feel like Watkins isn't far away from finding his killer instinct but he's such a handful and good all-round player that he just leaves more space for Jack to do his thing, but it's our other wingers who seem to benefit from the space he creates with his clever movement. I didn't think AEG was ever going to be up to the Premiership because he just wasn't fast enough to make space for himself on the wings and good enough in tight areas for a more inside role. But I guess his natural acclimation to the pace of the competition as well as the extra space that Watkins has been making for him have allowed him to capitalise.

And what is with us looking like one of the FITTEST teams in the Prem? In the 25+ years I've been watching football, even when we've been up and around where we should be fitness is not something I've ever considered a strength of the team - hope the Covid cases doesn't cause a regression in that area.

Don't stray into the broader expanses of bigfooty that often, thanks for the tag Royboy2, I had no Idea this thread was even here. I thought Smith looked pretty decent in our first season back in the prem until McGinn, Heaton & Wesley were injured in a series of weeks = at that stage it felt like we playing alright just weren't scoring enough goals. This season, I just can't believe how solid we look defensively even with Mings having his occasional brain farts.

Feel like Watkins isn't far away from finding his killer instinct but he's such a handful and good all-round player that he just leaves more space for Jack to do his thing, but it's our other wingers who seem to benefit from the space he creates with his clever movement. I didn't think AEG was ever going to be up to the Premiership because he just wasn't fast enough to make space for himself on the wings and good enough in tight areas for a more inside role. But I guess his natural acclimation to the pace of the competition as well as the extra space that Watkins has been making for him have allowed him to capitalise.

And what is with us looking like one of the FITTEST teams in the Prem? In the 25+ years I've been watching football, even when we've been up and around where we should be fitness is not something I've ever considered a strength of the team - hope the Covid cases doesn't cause a regression in that area.

Fitness has been something I've been screaming about for decades.

Looks like Shakespeare has had an impact there along with the other new member of the coaching staff whose name I forget.

Fitness has been something I've been screaming about for decades.

Looks like Shakespeare has had an impact there along with the other new member of the coaching staff whose name I forget.

Yeah, I have my suspicions it began before that because of the massive increase in Grealish's straight-line speed last season, seemed to come out of the blue. It's funny when Gabbie put all that muscle on and lost his speed Jack seems to have done the opposite, it's not just his calves that are big now he's starting to get a Gareth Barry arse and his overall strength/power seems to have increased without impacting his fine control and agility - he'll never be a thunderbolt from distance type but Jack seems to be able to hit the ball harder every year too. I don't pay as much granular attention to other footballers' development because Villa is really the only team I care about but it's pretty unusual for a player to develop like that outside of an EA sports game...

Hopefully it's part and parcel of being a well run and modern football club, and they might finally be able to finish off academy development instead of turning youth talent into mediocre lower-tier footballers like we seem to have done for the last 15 years. Edens and Sawiris seem to be serious and have good advisors instead of treating it like a toy.

Nice to see us stay in first gear and cruise to the most comfortable 2-0 win I can remember.

If we were not impacted by a 3-week training ground lockout I feel that would have been 5-6 goals our way instead. Geordies didn't create more than a fart in that game.

I don't miss Bruce ball.

Nice to see us stay in first gear and cruise to the most comfortable 2-0 win I can remember.

If we were not impacted by a 3-week training ground lockout I feel that would have been 5-6 goals our way instead. Geordies didn't create more than a fart in that game.

I don't miss Bruce ball.
Slightly disappointing to not bang another couple in but hey, we'll take it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back