News Strauss / Spencer / Bail - re-sign for 2 yrs each.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll probably merge this with the list management thread or something at a later date.

Feel free to comment here though.

MFC: Promising trio signs on

MELBOURNE has quietly re-signed emerging youngsters James Strauss, Jake Spencer and Rohan Bail for two years as it continues to settle its list under Mark Neeld.

Strauss and Spencer both made successful returns from serious injury in the latter part of 2012, while Bail was a solid performer all season despite enduring a frustrating period mid-year when he missed games as he recovered from concussion.

"These three form a part of the younger group who are coming through together that we think are the players of the future," Melbourne list manager Tim Harrington said...

Remaining players to be re-signed/delisted (by our records):

Clint Bartram
Troy Davis
Lynden Dunn (UFA)
Neville Jetta
Joel Macdonald
James Sellar

Standard re-signings for Strauss and Bail, interesting regarding Spencer, I thought he would only get a year extension. Having traded Martin, and now this 2 year deal for Spencer, makes me think Neeld rates Spencer higher than Martin, sees more upside in him and likes his attitude more.

With the players we have already turned over you would think most, if not all, will be re-signed over the next few weeks.

Of the unsigned, I'd expect MacDonald and Sellar to be re contracted on the strength of their effort, rather than performance, during the year. Bartram's fate will depend on the success of his knee op. Dunn, Davis and Jetta are all borderline for mine.
Dunn and Jetta would have been delisted with the rest earlier this week if that were the case

I would think judging by our trades/delistings most would have to get contracts, hopefully just 1 year though

I like what Dunn did at the end of the year deserves 1 last shot, the others just workhorses that will probably be delisted next year. Bartram if fit, will probably get 1 then see how he goes. Good stuff resigning these guys ;)

Spencer and Strauss resignings im happy with although im a bit suprised bail got 2 years. Must be hard worker as he hasn't really done alot when he has played at AFL level. Has been injured to be fair but has shown little except being an eltite runner. 1 year deal seems more appropriate IMO. All those unsigned players should be re-signed although I dont think sellars will play a game for melb next year unless we get severe injuries but will be ok for depth and for casey. Would love to see bartam stay depending on the knee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Sellsy does get re-signed, I've grown to like him!

He puts in so much and really could be quite a handy player if given a decent crack.
I loathed him initially until he actually started taking marks towards the end of the season. I'd keep him another year.

im a bit suprised bail got 2 years. Must be hard worker as he hasn't really done alot when he has played at AFL level. Has been injured to be fair but has shown little except being an eltite runner. 1 year deal seems more appropriate IMO.

Bail came 11th in our B&F. Pretty good for a bloke drafted at #64 in his third full season pretty much

I'm really happy with Bail & Strauss, think both have a big future at the club.

I am surprised Spencil has been given 2 years when I am sure 1 would have sufficed (i.e. there would be no vultures to keep at bay). When your own club website describes your kicking style as 'heart-in-mouth', there is no escaping that there are deficiencies in your game, but credit to him because he did more in the games he played in 2012 than I thought he was capable of. Will be interesting to see where he ranks in relation to Gawn and Fitzy (i.e. is he our Number 2 now that Stef has gone?)

I am surprised Spencil has been given 2 years when I am sure 1 would have sufficed (i.e. there would be no vultures to keep at bay). When your own club website describes your kicking style as 'heart-in-mouth', there is no escaping that there are deficiencies in your game, but credit to him because he did more in the games he played in 2012 than I thought he was capable of. Will be interesting to see where he ranks in relation to Gawn and Fitzy (i.e. is he our Number 2 now that Stef has gone?)

I Feel as though we haven't really seen a lot from Spencer, He has always sort of seemed a bit of a dud to me but I really hope he proves me from, Hopefully with martin leaving we see a breakout year.

Strongly agree.

I have no problems giving Spencer 2 years. He showed enough this year to keep us interested, and being a ruckman (one who's coming off a knee reco too) he deserves the chance to grow into his body (which he has done very well since the early Spencil days) and see if he can make it in the AFL. He also gave 110% every time he played... more than can be said for some other MFC players seemingly.

As for the ruck queue, he's certainly in second position now - primarily because his body is AFL-sized.

No doubt his skills need a tonne of work, but he's a young ruckman... they take time to find coordination.

Also, there's a reason why AFL clubs don't sign players to one years deals very often (old and injured players excepted). It hardly builds much confidence in the club, does it? How would you be if you were asked to put your body on the line every week, show loyalty beyond measure, etc etc, only to be rewarded with uncertainty and no job security with a new one-year deal? Players would not want to stay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back