Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Not necessarily- most of the teams who completely bottomed out 5-10 years ago are now competing for flags

Eg
Melbourne 13-14. Prelim 18, flag 21

Carlton 15-18. Prelim 23. Currently tracking for another flag tilt

Bris 15-17. Finals 19-24. Many flag tilts, lost close GF 23.

Saints bottomed out from 2013-15 but just made crucial mistakes.

If we'd drafted better, made wiser list choices, we probably would've been competing for flags from 2020 onwards instead of a middle team (6, 10, 10, 6 last 4 years). If we had a Bontempelli level player the last 4 years (who we passed up for Billings) and another good player (say, if Carlisle's promising career hadn't been prematurely ended by injury) we probably make a prelim or two.

"Renovation" is a fair term. Saints can compete in 25 or 26 if things go well. They're not too far off it.

They're only 2 star players off top 4 I reckon, and do have a few good young players and a war chest. Which means 2 stars may yet appear.

Renovation is accurate, there is enough there to work with, just need to keep adding the right pieces and developing what is there more so as well.

Not every club follows the same path. We did a similar botched build to St Kilda for our 2009-13 era, except saints got Ross Lyon in after Ratts and we replaced Ratts with Malthouse who blew whatever was good about the side up.

When an opposition team has lost 4 players to injury with significant game time left, their coach should be telling them to go all out and run the other team off the ground. We saw that happen in the last 5 minutes and St Kilda were looking pretty good. Why this didn't happen earlier.. is unknown? The slow kick to kick that took place was what Port would have wanted, because it was helping their 'benchless' team conserve energy.

If the Saints had of run hard from half way through the 3rd... switch side to side, make Port players chase them.. Port would have been spent in the 4th and the Saints more than likely would have won the game.
They did same v GWS
Abandoned the stifling game plan last 10 minutes and lo and behold rammed on the goals

Typical Boss Lyon coaching, incredible boring to watch.

I get they don’t have the cattle but it’s a snooze fest.

Fear my Bombers are going the same way as St.Kilda.

Good to very good team but lack that match winner the very best teams have

Im not talking about the death by 1,000 cuts type players (Steele, NWM, etc) but the really dynamic guys such as Bobby Hill, Toby Green, Shai Bolton De Grey etc.

They have the team on paper, get some guys who can make a difference and they could take the next step. Will be a fun watch under dour Ross

Im not talking about the death by 1,000 cuts type players (Steele, NWM, etc) but the really dynamic guys such as Bobby Hill, Toby Green, Shai Bolton De Grey etc.

They have the team on paper, get some guys who can make a difference and they could take the next step. Will be a fun watch under dour Ross

Archie Perkins is that player, however I do think you lack the quality talls to actually compete for a flag and will be stuck in the middle.

When an opposition team has lost 4 players to injury with significant game time left, their coach should be telling them to go all out and run the other team off the ground. We saw that happen in the last 5 minutes and St Kilda were looking pretty good. Why this didn't happen earlier.. is unknown? The slow kick to kick that took place was what Port would have wanted, because it was helping their 'benchless' team conserve energy.

If the Saints had of run hard from half way through the 3rd... switch side to side, make Port players chase them.. Port would have been spent in the 4th and the Saints more than likely would have won the game.
Especially when Ross teams usually have a fitness advantage. At least he really puts a big emphasis on running. They should be able to run harder for longer.
I think he's trying to.play surge/tempo footy.
They just aren't quite getting their timing right.

Disagree you guys don't have a match winner.

Stringer is that player 100%. Just needs to string together an injury free season. Seems to have got the mental side in check recently.

Disagree you guys don't have a match winner.

Stringer is that player 100%. Just needs to string together an injury free season. Seems to have got the mental side in check recently.
I did forget about out of contract Jake. He is definitely the one. Id like us to draft this years Bailey Humphrey, or Brayden George, Christian Petracca etc

Saints are such a boring, defensive and negative team to watch. If I was a fan id rather lose taking the game on and attacking rather than what they dish up each week. But thats the Ross Lyon way which went out with the Ark

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We do have that player in Liam Henry, he was a matchwinner against Collingwood with a couple of goals and can break the lines.

Unfortunately he got a bad hamstring tear in that Collingwood game but he should be beck soon and he will make a big difference.

They will restrict us to 20 points next week but yeah Rossy is stuck deep into old habits..no Riewoldts or Milnes to help them kick winning scores against top sides though this time round. Such a reactive team.
I’d just be quiet if I were you ….back to tank land you go …we at least can’t be accused of that…
Horrible club , threw out your senior players then screamed “we need to be looked after” and aunty Laura came runnin
Next team in is a merge and you have to be in it for mine

I’d just be quiet if I were you ….back to tank land you go …we at least can’t be accused of that…
Horrible club , threw out your senior players then screamed “we need to be looked after” and aunty Laura came runnin
Next team in is a merge and you have to be in it for mine

Strange melt there. Your club are the ones in millions of debt, so if any merger talk happened at this point it would be directed at you guys. Hope you can one day see your club win a flag but it's not happening with Rossy's current style.

Even when he had elite forwards at his disposal, Saints under Lyon struggled to score any more than 12 goals
It's not personel it's the game plan
You know you are wrong ever time you chirp this sentiment.
At our peak,Saints would score 90 plus pretty much ever game If you don't do your homework maybe stop with the wrong commentary. It's annoying ever time you spout wrong stats.

my thoughts Exactly.

You actually thought the saints deserved to win tonight?

Port kicked 11.16.82 to saints 11.6.72.

Port should of won by 4-6 goals tonight.
Should of but because they are a real ordinary team they didn't. Funny we get the pressure when a top 4 team couldnt put us away in the first quarter. Maybe question should be about Port and there goalkeeping which has happened before, kicking a large amount of points.

As others have posted they don't have that real top line talent in the side. They do have some younger players who might become those players (NLM, Ownens, King).
I'm confused who NLM amd Ownens are? What about Windhagen, Philipou, Henry and Wilson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back