Season 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

With Kinglake going you'd have to say that surely Broadford, Yea and Alexandra don't have a future in the league. You can look at a map, they're nowhere near it.

At some stage you wind up with two divisions and basically back to the YVMDFL, but having traded the northern clubs for Narre, Pakenham, Officer, Hallam. Worth it? Who knows.
Bunk Moreland so you just dismiss clubs that have been in the league for new clubs
Yea might struggle to ever get going again but surely Alexandra are part of the AFLOE and old YVMFL fabric.
As for Broadford, I agree, a move back to RDFL might be best for them but not sure how that will sit with them and RDFL

Pakenham wants to play in West Gippsland.
WGFNC clubs voted unanimously not to consider Pakenham (suburban club and they and Beaconsfield stuffed up the original WGFL in the 2000s because it was country towns against two suburban teams).
Best alternatives are Southern or Eastern.

Narre should consider the same two alternatives and play in a better-suited competition.

What has stuffed Pakenham's chances now is that the OEFNL now considers itself an independent metro comp. and none of the country leagues want a metro club in their leagues.

AFLCV will see it the same way.

Officer won't get a look in for a country comp either as they are located between Pakenham and Beaconsfield - if a comp lets Officer in, Pakenham will say they are located closer to the other clubs than Officer are - Pandora's Box.

Last edited:
Bunk Moreland so you just dismiss clubs that have been in the league for new clubs
Yea might struggle to ever get going again but surely Alexandra are part of the AFLOE and old YVMFL fabric.
As for Broadford, I agree, a move back to RDFL might be best for them but not sure how that will sit with them and RDFL

Not dismissing them but I think it’s pretty clear where the comp is headed.

Div 2

Best team Wins it ..
Best team is not made to Go up...
Their only real competition leaves...

And if its true, Perry kicked 70 after starting the year as a defender... Van Unen will kick 150 without even trying.

Two Divisions. Fix it now..

Div 2

Best team Wins it ..

And if its true, Perry kicked 70 after starting the year as a defender... Van Unen will kick 150 without even trying.

Big outlay when you've just won a flag and going nowhere.

This forum has really gone downhill and is just full of negativity and pessimism. For all the naysayers, has it occurred to you that D2 teams are probably more than happy being where they are? Someone the other day said they must be full of locals or family connections to still be there. From what I've seen of the D2 clubs, that's exactly what they are! All perfectly happy in their own little bubble. Just because everyone else on the fringe seems to think their own grand master plans are much better...

Time to spend my internet time somewhere else more positive...

This forum has really gone downhill and is just full of negativity and pessimism. For all the naysayers, has it occurred to you that D2 teams are probably more than happy being where they are? Someone the other day said they must be full of locals or family connections to still be there. From what I've seen of the D2 clubs, that's exactly what they are! All perfectly happy in their own little bubble. Just because everyone else on the fringe seems to think their own grand master plans are much better...

Stop flag waving. No one thinks a five team comp is a good thing. Also if you think the teams in Div 2 are all locals your dreaming. Two of the teams haven't had juniors in 20 odd years.

Last edited:

Agree that the forum is negative at the minute but give me a positive spin on a 5 team Division 2? Also what a mistake it must be to have Div 2 as its own stand alone competition. In the past 2 years Belgrave has gone 0 wins from 28 games in the seniors and only 6 wins by their Reserves in that time. Powelltown & Kinglake have dominated Div 2 the last 2 years. With Kinglake gone & Powelltown winning the flag it would only make sense for them to go up and Belgrave to go down? Surly it would benefit both clubs

A

ManInWhite it’s fantastic that the league has a 5 team division 2. I am sure all teams would be ecstatic with that development
Congratulations to Hallam in being accepted into AFLOE, it will give every club in division 1 an opportunity for a win
Premier will just go from strength to strength with Narre odds on to go back to back.
It’s a fantastic well run non affiliated metropolitan football league

Thoughts on 2 divisions

Division 1: Narre, Woori, Wandin, Olinda, Monbulk, Pakenham, Upwey, Mt Evelyn, Officer and Gembrook
18 game season, play everyone home and away Top 5 finals

Division 2: Seville, Berwick Springs, Emerald,Healesville, Yarra Glen, Belgrave, Hallam, Powelltown, YJ, Warburton, Alexandra, Broadford
Either 18 or 20 game season (if ground availability)
Top 6 finals

Bring back promotion and relegation, in 2024 however make it 2 teams up and 2 teams down.

Like this forum. I'm an outsider when it comes to the OEFL but I like reading it. People can be negative if that's your opinion.

One thing I would say is I would encourage all those unhappy to (if they're not already) get involved with their local club. Contrary to popular belief, local footy leagues (usually) aren't dictatorships, they're run by the clubs, and if you're part of a club committee or whatever then you have the chance to drive some change, or at least find out what is really going on from the inside. Participating clubs need to agree or at least vote on major changes etc so that's how you have an impact.

If you're passionate enough to jump online and rant about something then you might be passionate enough to get involved. Nobody on local footy club committees gets paid. It is run purely on passion, so if you have some your club could definitely use it. Change is slow and difficult but I guarantee it will definitely never come from talking on an internet forum.

Thoughts on 2 divisions

Division 1: Narre, Woori, Wandin, Olinda, Monbulk, Pakenham, Upwey, Mt Evelyn, Officer and Gembrook
18 game season, play everyone home and away Top 5 finals

Division 2: Seville, Berwick Springs, Emerald,Healesville, Yarra Glen, Belgrave, Hallam, Powelltown, YJ, Warburton, Alexandra, Broadford
Either 18 or 20 game season (if ground availability)
Top 6 finals

Bring back promotion and relegation, in 2024 however make it 2 teams up and 2 teams down.

This makes too much sense, thought about applying for the CEO job?

Officer should remain in the top flight, gone on a big recruiting spree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having reviewed the CEO position description and required experience, they’d want to be matching it with the appropriate remuneration otherwise they’ll only get what they pay for versus what is needed. The CEO would be significantly more experienced and educated than any board member and carry a load that on face value appears unsustainable. Fingers crossed. 🤞

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

A few YJ boys to Norwood in Eastern league
Well done to them to go and play at a better level
Will hurt YJ though

ChristianBoy who Powelltown didn’t get a reserves team most of this year
They were terrible by looking at the scores
Not sure where you boys get your info from but Powelltown fielded a reserves team in all 15 games this year won 5 of them the same as Yarra Junction, had better % than Yarra Junction who finished 4th and only didn’t play finals because of the s**t league rule that % wouldn’t count this year and it was based on your performance against the individual sides which YJ won 2 of the 3 meetings and got the final spot, so get your facts right if your going to bad mouth clubs on here

Not sure where you boys get your info from but Powelltown fielded a reserves team in all 15 games this year won 5 of them the same as Yarra Junction, had better % than Yarra Junction who finished 4th and only didn’t play finals because of the s**t league rule that % wouldn’t count this year and it was based on your performance against the individual sides which YJ won 2 of the 3 meetings and got the final spot, so get your facts right if your going to bad mouth clubs on here

Sorry I saw they lost to Broadford assumed it was a forfeit.

Div 2

Best team Wins it ..

Powelltown will still be a strong force if the league restructures and goes from three divisions to two. If the rumours are true regarding Justin Van Unen signing at the Demons then good luck to any backline trying to combat him along with an already potent front half. I, like most people on this forum, certainly hope that two divisions becomes a reality. If the league remains at three divisions and Powelly don’t go up then going back-to-back is a huge likelihood. I’m sure the club's influential coach/leader, Jarrod Bayliss, will embrace the challenge of playing against most Division 1 sides of 2022 and once again, get the absolute best out of his experienced troops.

Legend of the field never bad mouthed them, I said they were pretty average which is correct.
5 wins, 73% and lost to Broadford/Yea so I would say that’s pretty average
And lost to YJ twice so didn’t deserve to make finals
Anyway I am sure they will try and make finals in a 5 team competition in 2023.
Wouldn’t want to miss out next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back