SANFL W - SAWFL - Lower Leagues News and Reviews

Remove this Banner Ad

My guess is they want to run it on SANFL ovals which means running the comp early and also give it some clear air away from the men's comp.

Also if they run it alongside the men's comp it means the AdFL local clubs will be robbed of players which some clubs can't afford. Personally I don't buy that 2nd response but it was brought up at a league meeting both last year and this.

The AFLW players can still participate in the league though, and are back in time to qualify for finals much to the chargrin of other clubs.

I think Eagles are at Eastern Parade - old wingfield royals ground

South Adelaide played a pre season game against Eagles there
Trial games yeah, I think Sturt have got one at Cornerstone College in Mt Barker next weekend.

Adelaide Footy League board have voted in favour of a cap on the number of SANFLW games players can play before becoming ineligible to play in the AdFL.

If a player plays 8 or more SANFLW games they can no longer play for their local club after the finish of the SANFLW season. Players who play ONE AFLW game are also ineligible to play AdFL.

Quite a number of clubs were none too happy about the rule change

On one hand, it would make it difficult to correctly grade teams.

On the other hand, it hinders the development of these players if they can't compete against better competition.

What I'd rather the league voted on was moving back to Sundays. I loved umpiring womens games, but I can't do that when it clashes with A Grade ammos and the league prioritizes these games.

On one hand, it would make it difficult to correctly grade teams.

On the other hand, it hinders the development of these players if they can't compete against better competition.

What I'd rather the league voted on was moving back to Sundays. I loved umpiring womens games, but I can't do that when it clashes with A Grade ammos and the league prioritizes these games.
I think the grading is easy enough, teams like Uni, SMOSH and Morphy Park are always going to be strong. Teams that have large numbers of SANFLW players like Payneham, Salisbury and Broadview and next up in Div 1

SA just beat WA by 6 points in the first match of the U/19 State Championships, first time SA is a seperate entity in div 1 and not with another State for a while (NT last couple of years and also TAS in the past), shows how far SA has come recently with Women’s football, with large thanks to the Crows. SA also missing their best player in bottom ager 17 year old Hannah Ewings who picked up an injury with North in the SANFLW.

Pretty poor timing running it against the SANFLW season with teams severely impacted at that level, also playing the SA/WA game with the Crows game on at the same time and playing it at Noarlunga which really isn’t overly conducive to a spectacle when it comes to women’s football.

Players of particular interest in the team who are available for the 2021 draft; the most highly rated being Zoe Prowse the long touted super athletic Sturt ruck/utility, Zoe Venning who’s become a ball magnet for West Adelaide who plays as a tall mid & at half forward who’s having a great season for Westies and Gypsie Shirmer from South is a very athletic Utility who has the rare combination of height (178cm) & electric speed that would be very handy at AFLW level. A few others that I like the looks of are Alex Ballard, sister of Charlie from the Suns, a really composed 170cm defender that would help boost the list that is severely lacking defenders, read she will nominate Gold Coast as well, Brooke Tonon from Glenelg who’s improved a lot this year and can play halfback/wing has really good athletic traits and Laitiah Huynh from Centrals who’s very much in the Button sisters mould as a small high pressure quick half forward but does have quite a good goal sense as well.

Better write up on these players as usual on the brilliant draftcentral website: https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/202...-championships-state-preview-south-australia/

All those I mentioned played pretty well in today’s match as well.

Traditionally the club has shown it isn’t the biggest fan of taking/playing a bunch of 18 year olds preferring to bring in more senior bodies and delisting untried youth, will be interesting to see after this push for another premiership this season whether they continue down this path of the now while Phillips and Randall are still playing or they have an eye on the future with the inevitable entry of Port coming after a few years and taking a lot of young talent away.

Last edited:
Yeah Zoe Prowse is a jet, unbelievable talent for a kid her age.

Is Prowse likely to play ruck at AFLW level? 177cm seems short for a ruck. Sarah Allan is 178cm, for instance. Gould is 182cm, McKinnon is 183cm, Metcalfe is 185cm. Jess Foley was 183cm. Is her leap enough to overcome 2 or 3 inches in height? I'll admit I haven't seen her play.

If she is recruited as a ruck we'll have a real selection issue on our hands. Metcalfe is in the best form of her career and is still the right side of 30. Gould at 21 is doing a good job, McKinnon at 19 is carving up the SANFLW. We might need to look at finding a role for her as a tall defender or something while we work out what we're doing with our ruck stocks.

Is Prowse likely to play ruck at AFLW level? 177cm seems short for a ruck. Sarah Allan is 178cm, for instance. Gould is 182cm, McKinnon is 183cm, Metcalfe is 185cm. Jess Foley was 183cm. Is her leap enough to overcome 2 or 3 inches in height? I'll admit I haven't seen her play.

If she is recruited as a ruck we'll have a real selection issue on our hands. Metcalfe is in the best form of her career and is still the right side of 30. Gould at 21 is doing a good job, McKinnon at 19 is carving up the SANFLW. We might need to look at finding a role for her as a tall defender or something while we work out what we're doing with our ruck stocks.
Some teams have tried that under 180cm ruck, Freo last year and West Coast with Parris Laurie none of those possessed the amount of traits & talent Prowse has but just like McKinnon has found you don’t really know how they’ll go there until she’s seen at AFLW level. She’s certainly a more natural Ruck than McKinnon was, who still isn’t that proficient at contesting ruck duals or getting her hand first to the ball, but you just have to recruit Prowse for the package she provides with her athleticism, her natural ball winning ability and ability to compete contest after contest.

Sturt tried her more as a midfielder earlier this SANFLW season with varying success, from what I’ve seen of her I still think she makes it as a key position player, Sarah Allan of course played ruck most of her underage career before being stationed in the backline.

Last edited:
Lauren Young from Westies is a name to remember for the future.
Yeah freak of a player, not too many 180cm midfielders are around let alone 15 year old’s destroying teams, already 2 best on grounds in the SANFLW out of the 4 games she’s played. 3 years of more development on her skills to get them elite and will most likely be Port’s first pick given the timeframe 😕

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah freak of a player, not too many 180cm midfielders are around let alone 15 year old’s destroying teams, already 2 best on grounds in the SANFLW out of the 4 games she’s played. 3 years of more development on her skills to get them elite and will most likely be Port’s first pick given the timeframe 😕
It'll be interesting to see how the draft works when the full 18 teams come into play

It'll be interesting to see how the draft works when the full 18 teams come into play
In SA I imagine it would work a lot how West Coast and Freo’s draft did last year after the initial inaugural side was chosen/players taken from Freo by West Coast in 2019. They could revert to that weird junior women’s academies SANFL club split system where Crows get Sturt, North Adelaide, Central District and Glenelg and Port get South Adelaide, West Adelaide, Woodville-West Torrens and Norwood.

Speaking of which after Chyloe Kurdas’ s**t take earlier this year about Crows being strong because of no Port, I out of curiosity started to think what a Port team might look like if it was coming in next year and who they would actually be able to pry out of the Crows side because despite West Coast taking a chunk of Freo players in their inaugural squad the players actually have to be willing to go and a lot only went because they were West Coast supporters and in Queensland the ones that jumped ship to the Gold Coast was only because they worked in the Gold Coast region.

So considering these factors & the Queensland working one is irrelevant so it’s hard to see many Crows players especially the integrated premiership stars ever leaving willingly considering the culture and history they’ve already built so unless the AFL actually force the Crows to send players over the only Crows players that I could see joining Port (taking out Erin Phillips who will be retired by the time the actual Port side starts) willingly would be childhood Port supporters or those who just can’t get regular games or will be delisted by the Crows, on this season’s list I could only come up with 4 probables and 2 maybe’s only if they were delisted;

Probable:
Hannah Munyard
Eloise Jones
Montana McKinnon
Chelsea Biddell

Only if delisted:
Ailish Considine
Madie Newman

Also showing SA football isn’t quite there yet in terms of playing quality this is the majority of the squad I could come up with what Port would be able to select out of the SANFLW and/or SA exports, finding a full list hard especially considering the Crows would still have to have a full list as well;

Zoe Prowse (Sturt)
Zoe Venning (West)
Gypsy Schirmer (South)
Abbie Ballard (West)
Jaimi Tabb (North)
Madison Lane (Centrals)
Nicole Campbell (South)
Sharnie Whiting (West)
Mattea Breed (Norwood)
Leah Cutting (Norwood)
Jessica Macolino (Norwood)
Isobel Kuiper (Sturt)
Hannah Prenzler (Sturt)
Jess Kirk (South)
Katelyn Rosenzweig (Centrals)
Bella Smith (Coll)
Brit Perry (GC)
Amber Ward (WCE)
Katelyn Pope (WCE)
Tahlia Meyer (StK)
Nadia von Bertouch (StK)

Team would look something like this, it could maybe get wins against West Coast and Gold Coast;

Port Power 2022 AFLW side

B: Ward, von Bertouch

HB: Campbell, Smith, Lane

C: Meyer, Tabb, Munyard

HF: Jones, Prowse, Schirmer

F: Perry, Biddell

Foll: McKinnon, Venning, Macolino

Int: Ballard, Kuiper, Cutting, Pope, Whiting

Emg: Breed, Prenzler, Rosenzweig, Kirk

At least you can kind of make a squad, hate to think what they would have to do in NSW to fill 2 sides and have them even remotely competitive.

Last edited:
Young SA talent is starting to come through fairly regularly, so fingers crossed Port and Crows will both be able to field strong sides going forward. We just won't be able to pick the eyes out of every draft year anymore.

I mean, the vast majority of our good players are still very young. Allan (23), Hatchard (23), Marinoff (23), Woodland (22), Martin (22), Jones (21), Scheer (21), Gould (21), Ponter (20), Gore (20) and Charlton (18) are all under 24. Button, Mules and Allen are 24-26. Then you can throw in the likes of Munyard, Newman and McKinnon who are all AFLW caliber players at the age of 19. There's plenty of young talent in SA, and presumably the next five years will produce at least as many quality players as the last five.

Lauren Young winning the SANFLW best & fairest at 15 just shows the type of talent she’ll be.

Still highly unlikely she doesn’t end up at Port but with the announcement of Port coming in earlier than I expected in 2022 I suppose depending on how the local draft system works and whether Port get priority selections in the 2023 draft as well they might not have such an automatic selection of her that I originally thought.

Speaking of which the fact now it looks like the Crows could lose Hannah Ewings in next years draft after all the work we’ve done with her for years due to Port’s inevitable priority selections would be tough to take.

Zoe Venning, Gypsy Schirmer and Brooke Tonon were the eligible 2021 draftees to make the team of the year, out of the other players in the team think midfielders Izzy Kuiper (19) from Sturt & Erica Greet (22) from North and of course Norwood ruck Leah Cutting (28) could all contribute something at AFLW level.

Lauren Young winning the SANFLW best & fairest at 15 just shows the type of talent she’ll be.

Still highly unlikely she doesn’t end up at Port but with the announcement of Port coming in earlier than I expected in 2022 I suppose depending on how the local draft system works and whether Port get priority selections in the 2023 draft as well they might not have such an automatic selection of her that I originally thought.

Speaking of which the fact now it looks like the Crows could lose Hannah Ewings in next years draft after all the work we’ve done with her for years due to Port’s inevitable priority selections would be tough to take.

Zoe Venning, Gypsy Schirmer and Brooke Tonon were the eligible 2021 draftees to make the team of the year, out of the other players in the team think midfielders Izzy Kuiper (19) from Sturt & Erica Greet (22) from North and of course Norwood ruck Leah Cutting (28) could all contribute something at AFLW level.

Reading this, you’d be forgiven for thinking she played for Ports non existent SANFLW team. Have to go down all the way to the end before West Adelaide are even acknowledged.

Reading this, you’d be forgiven for thinking she played for Ports non existent SANFLW team. Have to go down all the way to the end before West Adelaide are even acknowledged.

Dyed in the wool Crows supporter as well according to this story on 7 NEWS last night, AFLW players also currently having a high level of control of where they play given their short semi-professional contracts as well 🤔… not all is lost.

SANFLW moving to flat 20 minute quarters next season (up from flat 17 minute quarters).

Interesting move as this will make SANFLW matches longer than the average AFLW match.
D1 women's ammo matches are 20 minute quarters too, always found that odd.

Awful news last night with Westies confirming Young done her ACL at training

Glenelg absolutely belted Norwood in both games last night.

The Legs are a very young group but the reserves were 23 scoring shots to 5, the League was about the same

Glenelg absolutely belted Norwood in both games last night.

The Legs are a very young group but the reserves were 23 scoring shots to 5, the League was about the same
Brooke Tonon going back to the Bays from her first AFLW pre-season with the Crows just casually kicked 6 goals 2 playing off a wing 😮

Long time Crows academy product and all round gun Hannah Ewings really not helping us out with her first game back after missing last season through injury gathering 21 possessions and kicking 2 of Norths 4 goals, need to have a word with her to ease it up 😬, I would have told her to take a year off & play cricket instead this year 😉

Not knowing much of the current match happening but Prowse was named in the backlines for Sturt and Simmons up forward for the Eagles, I wouldn’t mind Prowse be switched up forward especially given Biddell is now holding down CHB

Brooke Tonon going back to the Bays from her first AFLW pre-season with the Crows just casually kicked 6 goals 2 playing off a wing 😮

Long time Crows academy product and all round gun Hannah Ewings really not helping us out with her first game back after missing last season through injury gathering 21 possessions and kicking 2 of Norths 4 goals, need to have a word with her to ease it up 😬, I would have told her to take a year off & play cricket instead this year 😉

Not knowing much of the current match happening but Prowse was named in the backlines for Sturt and Simmons up forward for the Eagles, I wouldn’t mind Prowse be switched up forward especially given Biddell is now holding down CHB
Sturt won easily, Alisha Gepp BOG.

Prowse pretty good too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back