Preview Season 7, Semi Final v Collingwood: Saturday 12 November @ Wigan Oval (Unley Oval)

Remove this Banner Ad

That was putrid, blame the crazy conditions, blame the garbage umpires all you want but far too many games this year they’ve played like that.

Can’t figure out if it’s the coaching letting the players do want they want including the limited planning for opposition or it’s just the players footy IQ has gone down the toilet with the 2 seasons in one year.
You take any sort of win with these conditions. The ground was wet and in some parts huge puddles. Weather did improve, but the ground and winds made it tough to be clean.

Seriously? What has been missed?
It’s not the obvious ones that are missed, but the 50/50s are going all the opposition’s way. Particularly in that 3rd quarter. 6-7 free kicks in a row and more than half were 50/50 calls. Then the Bidell mark being called “play on”.

Fair to say there was some bias?

Why is the Channel 7 mic always near the opposition cheersquad?
Ill be honest - There was a Collingwood cheersquad?

I think I saw 4 fans all game (Though, my travels ranged from goal-square to goal-square along the outer)

Biddell is such a good kick, I am surprised Crows don't push her into the middle and get the ball out to her to deliver inside 50.
I made that comment last week.
Don't fix what aint broke and all that - And I agree with that............THIS YEAR

But I'd love to make a 3-way move between Biddell/Hatchard/Randall

Randall into the backline (like she was pre22)
Hatchard up forward (strong marking option)
Biddell in the middle (for accurate AND deep forward entries)

But that's a 2023 move imho.

If we do it this year, it's a huge risk. But I'd love to train it this off-season with an aim to implementing it next year.

Ill be honest - There was a Collingwood cheersquad?

I think I saw 4 fans all game (Though, my travels ranged from goal-square to goal-square along the outer)
There was very audible Collingwood chant late in the game.

There was very audible Collingwood chant late in the game.
Microphone probably in the stand.

I remember games at Norwood Oval. 50 away fans (Bulldogs, I remember vividly) in the crowd (Family and Friends) and the microphone is by them.

The 50 would make a larger noise than 10,000 Crows fans.

Though, the (mens) game I missed this year due to covid, the microphone was infront of the St Kilda cheersquad, the 200 Saints fans made more noise than 40,000 Crows fans. Infuriating. Doesn't give an indication on atmosphere.

Doc Clarke wearing shorts

Channeling his inner Neil
At half time when the girls were doing their run throughs in the goalsquare, Doc was picking up footballs

Dirty Bird: Aren't you cold there Doc?

Doc: Nah mate, beautiful day.

According to the commentary Collingwood were vehemently angry with the sideline officials the game wasn't stopped way earlier.

I bet they were.
I was sitting on the outer.
About 5 minutes before quarter time you could see lightning coming in from the west.

I guess the game could've been stopped 5 minutes earlier. Not like we scored (goals at least) in that period anyway, so who cares.

You take any sort of win with these conditions. The ground was wet and in some parts huge puddles. Weather did improve, but the ground and winds made it tough to be clean.
Not being clean with the ball was the least of the concerns in the 2nd half; players ahead of the ball not being responsible and just letting their opponents run off them, no structure or plans whatsoever to move the ball past the centre, trying to shut down a game 10 minutes into the 3rd quarter and not to mention the midfield like last week just disappeared and allowed Molloy and Lambert to have more space out there than the international space station.

This team has now had 17 goalless quarters this season. 17!!!

Can’t hide that making a Preliminary final this time round definitely says more about the competition than the strength of this individual team.

Last edited:
It’s not the obvious ones that are missed, but the 50/50s are going all the opposition’s way. Particularly in that 3rd quarter. 6-7 free kicks in a row and more than half were 50/50 calls. Then the Bidell mark being called “play on”.

Or just sheer incompetence. I really find it hard to believe umpires are trying to manufacture a result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Biddell is such a good kick, I am surprised Crows don't push her into the middle and get the ball out to her to deliver inside 50.
Cos if you give her a few seconds to judge the flight of the ball she will have hands on it.

Lots of marks, really never outmarked. She's a gun.

If we had another one of her, or another Sarah Allan, then I'm sure the 3rd one would be wing/Hff and we'd spend our time debating why they aren't a kick behind the play.

Not being clean with the ball was the least of the concerns in the 2nd half; players ahead of the ball not being responsible and just letting their opponents run off them, no structure or plans whatsoever to move the ball past the centre, trying to shut down a game 10 minutes into the 3rd quarter and not to mention the midfield like last week just disappeared and allowed Molloy and Lambert to have more space out there than the international space station.

This team has now had 17 goalless quarters this season. 17!!!

Can’t hide that making a Preliminary final this time round definitely says more about the competition than the strength of this individual team.
I don’t disagree there is a pattern with us with our attacking forays being more chaotic when in the latter half of games. We also need to be mindful of judging too harshly on match conditions that would have made even Brownlow medallists feeling uncomfortable.

Regarding your 3rd quarter assessment. I feel our gameplan changed out of necessity due to so many BS calls by the umpire consecutively in the first part of that quarter. Any Crows fans and unbiased fans would see the level of rubbishness of some of the calls. Why then be attacking when frees are likely going against you?

FWIW, I respect you as one of the more astute observers in this AFLW forum, and I’m not trying to make a completely opposing argument. I think we have our work cut out for next week.

Or just sheer incompetence. I really find it hard to believe umpires are trying to manufacture a result.
If sheer incompetence, should have been like that the entire game, not just a patch of 10 mins of umpiring chaos. Also, by probability, with sheer incompetence, the frees should even out on the 50/50 calls.

Then if I ask you “have you noticed a pattern that we often lose the free kick count for the past 6 years in AFLW?” Can you look me directly in the eye, without giggling, and say “no”?

My comment was in Jest 🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Back