Royals thread Forever Boys

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pretty pessimistic about our year this year.

We've lost even more experienced veterans and like you point out we were disappointing in the pre-season.

Have to be very happy with yesterday. Looked like Swan Districts will overrun East Perth a number of times but East Perth stood firm. Some players have to develop better disposals and better decision making but overall it was a pleasing performance. Glad we didn't play Subiaco in the first game of the year.
East Perth needs to defeat those teams around them, Swan Districts, Perth, East Fremantle, West Coast, then try to get a couple of upsets. Do that and East Perth might be finals bound.

Yes, very happy with the victory, DurtleAU, particularly as we rarely win in Round 1.
Not playing Subiaco first up was a bonus, though the Lions were depleted through COVID, so you never know.
I thought that we were rewarded for taking the game on, whereas in previous years we've needlessly chipped the ball around, coughed up possession and conceded easy goals.
There were times (particularly early) when we turned the ball over, but it was mostly forward of centre rather than in the back half.
I'm still a bit concerned about our lack of height in defence, as Swans' full-forward Brayden Noble was too tall and strong for Taylor North.
That said, North did some very good work and deserves a place in our side.
Hoping that Jackson Ramsay is fit for Sunday's game against Perth; we'll need him because the Demons are up and about after winning a thriller against West Coast.

I thought to minimise the damage of Noble they could of played a spare man I'm defence to plug holes or perhaps play two off Noble. No one else on the Swan's team looked damaging up forward. Noble is a very classy player for Swan Districts and clearly their best by far.

Perth v East Perth next week. Perth always gives a competitive effort and are strong at home.

510pm bounce down is a bit late, but will make the trip if the Armadale line is working then.

Not sure why no Anzac Day game has been programmed for WA. Shame that.

We were very good on Friday.

I thought we ran out of legs by three quarter time but they (thankfully) proved me wrong.

Agreed with FitzroyPete's earlier comment, post Shaggy Anderson, we look a tad small in defence.

Hopefully we can make it two from two against

We were very good on Friday.

I thought we ran out of legs by three quarter time but they (thankfully) proved me wrong.

Agreed with FitzroyPete's earlier comment, post Shaggy Anderson, we look a tad small in defence.

Hopefully we can make it two from two against

I was confident we could beat Perth, Mighty Eagles, but thought it would be a close thing much like our win over Swans.
However, the football we produced at Lathlain Park last night was probably the best since we broke free of the shackles of the alignment.
Yes, it's early days yet, but I think Jeremy Barnard has the boys playing a far more direct style of football than we did last year.
We're a relatively young side, but the blooding of players like Ameduri, Cooley, Kuek, Msando, Sparks and Willcocks is starting to pay dividends.

This victory against Perth was very exciting. Fluid in motion football at its best. Haven't seen East Perth dominate a game with beautiful execution since our grand final seasons in the beginning of the century.

Unsure how to rate it, but I do rate it a bit as Perth is a decent team. Not getting too excited but it does raise my eyebrows for a season that might get us into the finals.

However, the football we produced at Lathlain Park last night was probably the best since we broke free of the shackles of the alignment.

Yep.

Last night was a brilliant win. We were outstanding, played four quarters and increased our lead in every quarter.

The club really reflected what went wrong last year, made moves to rectify it and it shows so far this year.

Our midfield looks bloody good and bats deep.

Obviously we started poorly and with a strong breeze to boot, I thought we responded incredibly well after quarter time.

Only two goals were kicked at the other end - both by us.

I hope we rebound strongly this week.

So we have had a good win against Claremont with a forward line that functioned better than it has all season. The recent inclusions of Schofield, Van Dieman and Graham has had a great effect on the team and its direction. One thing that was really pleasing was to see Christian Ameduri not being used as a defensive mid, when allowed he is a very damaging player. As usual the backline worked hard and with Schumaker helping out as he did they were able to contain the Tigers and restrict their scoring, it was a welcome outcome and hopefully gives us some hope for the rest of the season. The reserves are not playing well but with so many inclusions of late that is to be expected. The colts were very good with a win over the Tigers. Each team had outs with the 18's and PSA absentees but we were sensational.

Last edited:
Looks like we have scored two players for Simpson, Bonomelli and Davidson. Davidson is 22 years old, 192 cm and 90kg, a few games but seems quite unspectacular from his stats as does Bonomelli.

Looks like we have scored two players for Simpson, Bonomelli and Davidson. Davidson is 22 years old, 192 cm and 90kg, a few games but seems quite unspectacular from his stats as does Bonomelli.
Welcome aboard the good ship East Perth, Boogyman.
History is littered with countless examples of players who've excelled at their second club after not setting the world on fire at their first.
Hopefully Nick Bonomelli and Cam Davidson enjoy good careers at East Perth.
I'm sorry to see Eddie Simpson depart - a good forward on his day and a nice fella to go with it.
Yes, a great win by the lads on Saturday.
With the 1972 and 2002 premiership reunions being held, and coming off a poor showing against Peel Thunder, I thought we'd play well against Claremont.
However, I feared that we'd be in the game for three quarters but lose narrowly in the last.
I was happy to be proved wrong.

Seems from the EF thread that Davidson is a good pick up but prone to injury. Often players change club and a different training track and injury management helps them, so we can hope for the best. As for Simpson I honestly was never a fan but each to their own. The win for me was abt our forward line looking much better so the pressure was lifted to some extent off the backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we get to a winnable game against the WCER. We should win it without much of an issue with the injury list for WCE again increasing. The trouble with this game is after the win folk will be looking at EP as a chance to make a move up the table and so they should but we need to get past Perth , a 50/50 game and the Swans which I think is a hard game for us, Swans are doing real well, for me it is a bit of a wait and see.

Will the selection panel make changes or leave well enough alone, could Taylor come in, Palfrey could be one that the coach wants to play in a game like this, is Bonomelli similarly under consideration. Lets face it it is a game where we should win and it does give the selection committee an opportunity to look at the these players.

Good luck to both Davidson and Bonomelli on their moves to EP.....definitely worth a go, both are tall and mobile....more so Davidson then Bonomelli in terms of mobility.

Bonomelli I reckon needed a run of games to see what he had, though EF until this year had been blessed with some decent talls in Griffen, Strnadica, Dixon and Teakle ahead of him. As for Davidson, not sure how he got to EF, Collie born and bred, son of ex EF premiership player Jeff Davidson though. Had high hopes Davidson and Gero boy Chris Scott were going to be EF next CHB/FB combo, both 193/4 cm, mobile and talented.....sadly both returned to their respective country leagues, the former due to injuries and the latter due to missing out on the draft. Scott was the WA U/18 3rd tall defender behind Naughton(WBD) and Sam Taylor(GWS) from memory.

Great to see Davidson giving it another crack, hopefully Scott does as well....probably not at EF, but he would do well at any WAFL club.

Last edited:
So the selection panel have swapped Eaton for Fullgrabe and brought in Taylor and omitted Van Dieman. I suppose if Taylor was to get a game this one that they would think was a winnable one and he would not be under any great pressure. Nice to see that they are sticking with Graham and Schofield.

Last edited:
I am sure the faithful will be all over the outcome but watching it on the streaming service still left me wondering whether we can cut it will the form sides like Subi, SD, SF, let alone EF and WP. Yes we beat Claremont but history shows in the last 4 years we can do that and then fall away, next week will be crucial to any hopes of moving forward

I am sure the faithful will be all over the outcome but watching it on the streaming service still left me wondering whether we can cut it will the form sides like Subi, SD, SF, let alone EF and WP. Yes we beat Claremont but history shows in the last 4 years we can do that and then fall away, next week will be crucial to any hopes of moving forward

Boogyman, with all due respect to Subi, I don't think that they could be considered one of the form sides of 2022.
Given West Coast beat SF two weeks ago, yesterday was a real danger game and we did enough to take the four points.
True, the Eagles didn't have Nic Nat and a few others yesterday, but the heavy conditions were a great leveller.
However, we'll need to beat Perth next Saturday to remain in contention.
If we do defeat the Demons, we'll only be a game outside the four because SF and SD (both are two wins above us) play each other.

Boogyman, with all due respect to Subi, I don't think that they could be considered one of the form sides of 2022.
Given West Coast beat SF two weeks ago, yesterday was a real danger game and we did enough to take the four points.
True, the Eagles didn't have Nic Nat and a few others yesterday, but the heavy conditions were a great leveller.
However, we'll need to beat Perth next Saturday to remain in contention.
If we do defeat the Demons, we'll only be a game outside the four because SF and SD (both are two wins above us) play each other.
Agreed Subi are not where they want or were, but they have players coming back and that worries me, beat Perth and I will be a little more confident. Despite the conditions I was again impressed with Schofield, Medhat, Graham and Hammersley. Pebbles as always up there with Stan!

I agree with your thoughts on our new players, Boogyman.
While they're both still young, the 2022 performances of Pebbles and Stan have been a revelation.
Pebbles has shown he has a keen goal sense, with Stan's kicking and his ability to get out of trouble is uncanny.

Ok the CEO has made a statement regarding the coaches tenure and how it will not be judged, making finals is not on the table which to me seems a little bizarre as it was one of the initial goals set when he was appointed. It seems that there are other KPI's and rightly so. Improvement is there but one would have to suggest that the improvements are not significant given the same players are doing the same things. Lots of possessions but if you compare like for like players in other teams have higher effectiveness ratings. A quick look at the stats suggests that we at best mid table in most of the measures.

Interesting selections with Graham out and Bonomelli in, Sparks, Ramsay and Greaves injured.

Be interested to see how Bonomelli goes.....was always 3rd or 4th in the queue at EF...and league opportunities were few and far between....good luck to both EP and Bonomelli

Thanks, Freez, coincidentally Nic Bonomelli will be wearing Eddie Simpson's former No.33 guernsey today (and good luck to Eddie at East Freo).
It's no surprise that Bonomelli joined East Perth given he'd been playing in the South-West league with Carey Park, Jeremy Barnard's home club.
I think the other former Shark, Cam Davidson, plans to join the Royals in 2023 but, of course, a lot can happen between now and next year.
Boogyman, I'm sure one criterion for Barney's reappointment will be EP winning the games they're expected to win, including today against Perth.

FitzP I think I owe you a courtesy and that is on other WAFL sites I am either banned for upsetting folk not through abuse but just at being odds with their opinions and expressing mine, on the other whilst not banned the group accuse me of being a white ant due to my lack of amour for Barnard as a coach. When he was appointed like most I was rapt. As time has gone on the rapture has become a little unwrapped. Simpson is a prime example of my lack of support for him. Clearly there was a reluctance to drop him even tho' his performances were not upto standard and he was keeping others out of the team. There are other points of concern with player management being one that has created loss of players (and good players). My current query is about recruiting players who play next season Palfrey and Davidson (in the article abt Barnard), are we getting ready for next year so what does that mean for this season.

I hope for nothing more than for EP to be successful and hopefully that will happen sooner than later. I hope that you will accept a different opinion without the rancor expressed elsewhere. Have a great day at Leederville today, I will be there watching the colts and ressies but miss the league due to Nanna sitting duties (my wife's mum is 102 and requires a bit of minding so her carer can have an outing)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back