Royals thread Forever Boys

Remove this Banner Ad

Well three games and three losses but if you are honest WP were much better in all three grades. Colts looked ok but WP have to be favourites for the flag in all levels.

I didn't see the colts or reserves, Boogyman, but there wasn't much to enthuse about the league team's performance.
I fear the team "checked out" for the season after losing to Swans a few weeks ago, with their three losses since reflecting just how much they've lost their way.
With the coaching position up in the air, I think the last two games present an opportunity for the club to trial promising youngsters with a view to 2023.
If anything, based on the promising start to 2022, this season has been even more disappointing than 2021.

I didn't see the colts or reserves, Boogyman, but there wasn't much to enthuse about the league team's performance.
I fear the team "checked out" for the season after losing to Swans a few weeks ago, with their three losses since reflecting just how much they've lost their way.
With the coaching position up in the air, I think the last two games present an opportunity for the club to trial promising youngsters with a view to 2023.
If anything, based on the promising start to 2022, this season has been even more disappointing than 2021.
FitzroyPete, could not agree more, the simple fact is that if we agree the players have checked out then the responsibility rests clearly with the coach. Good coaches can still get players up especially for a derby and he did not! As for playing youngsters agree wholeheartedly but they have to ones who will play for the jumper and not themselves. There are couple who might get 20+ possessions but it all abt them and not the team. Perhaps Give Mr Allsop a debut just like they should have given Will Young. Sad really but nothing will change until they bite the bullet and get a new coach,not Sumich or a couple ofo thers who have been named, me I would go to Sellwood or Pickering!

Well that was an interesting Sunday. It started with a really strong win by the colts although it should have been finished much earlier, poor kicking allowed a very gallant Souths to stay in the game and nearly snatch it away from the boys.

The reserves showed that apart from 5 or 6 players our reserves is full of what can only be described as list cloggers, sorry for any offence but we need to open the reserves up as a proper pathway for the colts to develop into!

The league was again very interesting. Before the game talking to a few players there was a palpable difference in their demeanor, as one said the boys know the feedback will calm assured and without leaving the feeling belittled. I know not all of them would feel that and certainly not say it but for a couple to was significant to me at least. The most significant change was that Scott started in the forward line and had an immediate effect which was pleasing. The other side of that move was that Schumaker was not placed under as much pressure from the dumb short hand passes that constantly see him caught holding the ball, it was one Schumakers best games. Thomas Graham lined up at FF and showed that he can play league football and he can kick goals ( a fact many knew and understood from the beginning of the season). All iin all it was a different team, willing to try and accept that the errors and mistakes would not come to haunt them after the game.

Jackson Ramsay has retired, very grateful to have been involved with Jackson through the development process andseeing him drafted. His efforts back at EP where again great but crueled by injury, well done Mr Ramsay.

I think our midfield is one of the best in the comp.

Barney is a favourite son and we all love the success we had with him as our skipper. However, he was terrible with our players when he was our coach, which is why we lost so many under his watch.

I'm really looking forward to this season, we've got a good list, I think McQueen is a terrific coach and with a dash of luck this could be a really good year. If the likes of Bonomelli and Medhat fire as key forwards, we would've resolved our achilles heel.

I'm about to head off to Leedi, go Royals!

I think our midfield is one of the best in the comp.

Barney is a favourite son and we all love the success we had with him as our skipper. However, he was terrible with our players when he was our coach, which is why we lost so many under his watch.

I'm really looking forward to this season, we've got a good list, I think McQueen is a terrific coach and with a dash of luck this could be a really good year. If the likes of Bonomelli and Medhat fire as key forwards, we would've resolved our achilles heel.

I'm about to head off to Leedi, go Royals!

Any win's a good win, Mighty Royals, particularly being on the right side of the ledger in a one-point game in Round 1.
Very proud of the way the boys fought back after looking down the barrel early in the last quarter.
However, we certainly made things very hard for ourselves after a poor third quarter, but that might not be giving Swans due credit after a strong fightback.
Tom Medhat, in particular, and Nick Bonomelli had solid games, but it would be great to have a Troy Wilson, Andrew Merrington or Josh Smith up front.
I agree with you that Ross McQueen has done a good job since he took over late last year and I hope the success that he had with Claremont's reserves and colts teams translates to success with East Perth's league team.
However, we're on different pages when you say that Barney was "terrible with our players".
He took over as coach when we (thankfully!) parted ways with the Eagles and made us reasonably competitive, even if we didn't win as many games as we would've liked.
The wheels did start to fall off late last year when we were out of finals contention and, yes, we did lose a few players during Barney's reign.
However (excluding draftees Jedd Busslinger and Reuben Ginbey, of course), in the recent off-season, we lost Jack Cooley, Damon Greaves, Ben McGuire, Jackson Ramsay, Cooper and Harley Sparks, and Elijah Taylor, after Barney had left.

Last edited:
Very good first-half. Disappointing second, particularly the third, but we won and bank the four points.

Great to end the losing streak against them. It's just the second time we've beaten them since April 2015.

Schumacher has continued his terrific form and he was assisted by the likes of Brayshaw, Crowden and Wright (as usual).

Good to see The Bon, Bonomelli, kick a bag. Hope he keeps it up.

Based on Subiaco's strong win over Claremont yesterday, Mighty Eagles, last week's victory has added merit.
Regards last night's trip to Lathlain Park, I saw it as a real danger game because sooner or later Perth will show the benefit of Peter German's coaching.
However, another powerful opening quarter virtually set the seal on the game.
And our third quarter was also very impressive, though we took the foot off the pedal in the second and fourth quarters (that said, the Demons showed some spirit).
Our midfielders continue to get a lot of the ball, plus they're also kicking goals.
I must look up the stats because I suspect it's been a long time since we've had 12 different goalkickers in a game (5 x 2 + 7 x 1).

Yesterday was our first major hiccup of the year.

We starter strongly, leading at quarter time but Peel got a run on from us from the second quarter and we only kicked one more major after the first break, which was in the last quarter.

I think we've got a good list and I believe we're well coached. I'm very confident that we will learn from it. Tough next six weeks or so, but if we can win a few of them it gives us hope going into the half-way mark of the season.

Go Royals.

Terrific team performance today. So pleased with the efforts of so many. Always good to beat the old enemy!
A tremendous performance by the Royal Blues at Leederville yesterday.
Many of us thought that at some point West Perth would mount a significant challenge.
Yet, the only time the Falcons did manage to kick consecutive goals was just before time-on in the last quarter when the game was all but over.
If there was any doubt, the two Mitches - Schofield and Crowden - quickly knocked that on the head with a goal apiece a few minutes later.
Schofield's mark near the right point post at the tech school end - using Hamish Brayshaw as a "stepladder" - was an absolute beauty in the conditions.
The in-and-under work of Brayshaw, Crowden and Angus Schumacher, complemented by Angus Scott's outside work, has been well-documented, but I thought the defence really stood up yesterday.
The move of Nick Robertson into defence has been a masterstroke, while Stan Wright's kicking skills are elite.
And I reckon Corey Watts had the better of Tyler Keitel.
Up forward, Shayne Hille made a superb return for his first game of the season, kicking three goals, as did Liam Tedesco, who no doubt enjoyed the victory over his old side.
With 51 hitouts and 23 disposals, Scott Jones would've been close to BOG and is probably having his best season.
I feel like I'm doing an injustice to those players I haven't mentioned because every player did his bit.
Approaching the halfway mark, this is shaping as the evenest season in a long time and I think eight teams are still capable of playing finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am in the latter stages of writing a book about the old AFC Night Series from 1979-1986 and need some assistance with some missing records for the section which will include an A-Z list of players who played in the competition.

Can anyone assist with the local club that the following players were recruited from:

Kevin Bryant
Ross Glendinning
Wayne Loxley 1981
John McGuire 1979 (Northam – Federal or Railways?)

Looking at some old Who's Who In WA Footy magazines from the 1980s it has the following MW-
Kevin Bryant - Dianella
Ross Glendinning - Floreat Park/Scotch College (went to EP under Father/Son rule)
Wayne Loxley - ?
John McGuire - Northam/Guildford Grammar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back