Royals thread Forever Boys

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I watched the reserves and colts games and what a difference in standard.

The colts game was one worth watching with Perth going out to a good lead at half time. The EP boys rallied and come home well. EP had a few boys out and debuted two players, Kobe Foster kicked two goals and showed good sense around the forward line. The reserves were just beaten by a better side on the day, one thing tho' is only 4 players were from last years season, big turnover and so cohesion still developing. The two promoted colts players Moore and Berry acquitted themselves very well, good signs for the future.

Boogyman, absolutely no courtesy required because I have a very thick (some would say, weathered) skin and nothing you've said has remotely upset me.
Differences of opinion - both between supporters of different clubs and also between supporters of the same club - help make our game great.
Yes, the WAFL site you refer to can get a bit out of hand at times.
If Davidson and Palfrey are on deck in 2023, that will be a bonus, but I'll believe it when I see it.
I do sometimes wonder about our recruiting, particularly the signing of Michael Randall, who of course is under an ASADA-imposed suspension.
That said, Hamish Brayshaw and Tom Medhat (five goals today), and also Kyle Hamersley, have been good pick-ups.
And the debut of Nic Bonomelli would have to be one of the best made by a Royal recruit for many a long day.
Freez knows far more about Bonomelli's capabilities than me, but 4.4 was a pretty good effort (though he should've kicked six goals after missing a couple of easy ones early).
Despite the side going to sleep early in the second and third quarters, and then taking the foot off the pedal in the last, the boys showed enough to believe that they're still a chance of playing finals in 2022.
Next Saturday's game against Swans at Bassendean is, to use the old cliche, an eight-point game.

Last edited:
Great debut for EP by big Nic...accuracy was an ongoing issue for the fella at EF, but hey good for his confidence, hopefully he can build from it and kick a few more for EP.

Big Nic's telescopic arms make him stand taller than his already lofty 198cm.
As you say, Freez, he seems to be a "confidence player".

I was having a chat to one of the reserves players, a sometimes scapegoat when the backline is a bit tardy, he commented that like many a player Bonomelli lost a bit of the passion for the game and EF (which isn't a derogatory comment abt EF just his feeling), we discussed what he was feeling abt being at EP and the comment was that the players welcomed him with open arms which seemed to give him a good feeling which then seemed to translate to the game (which I am yet to watch).

You have hit one of the nails on the head with my angst at times with the club, where was the due diligence with Randall.

Just watched the game, couple of things that stood out for me, we now seem to have a functioning forward line with good scoring potential. I would leave Taylor in with Schofield providing a foil for Medhat and Bonomelli or Graham (either one off the bench provides good back up support). Isn't it great to see Ameduri play when not shackled by being used as a tagger, he is a better player than he is often used. Whilst others get high possession numbers Dittmar gives us the blocks and tackles that the others need to get the possessions. Jones will dominate against (respectfully) average opposition and AJ was just not good enough. WE still have a backline that whilst I will always support could and often does struggle against better forward lines than Perth offered up..

Good outcome but with the lapses and sometimes poor disposals we still have a way to go!

Interesting to see Bonomelli kicked 4 goals in 5 games for Carey Park in the SWFL....and then kicks 4 for EP in his first WAFL game of the year....perhaps it's a reflection of Bonomelli feeling more love at EP then EF..... maybe it's a reflection of where Perth are right now....who knows...only time will tell....good test for big Nic v Notte next weekend when EP play SD.

Well I watched the reserves and colts games and what a difference in standard.

The colts game was one worth watching with Perth going out to a good lead at half time. The EP boys rallied and come home well. EP had a few boys out and debuted two players, Kobe Foster kicked two goals and showed good sense around the forward line. The reserves were just beaten by a better side on the day, one thing tho' is only 4 players were from last years season, big turnover and so cohesion still developing. The two promoted colts players Moore and Berry acquitted themselves very well, good signs for the future.
The colts was a good game with 3 PSA boys back in, confused why they put a Michael Broadbridge/Shane Woewodin trained winger Mitch Miller up in the forward pocket though, total waste of opportunity and talent. Jonah Brooks also up backline when he is so dominant in the mid field. They did use Will Cassidy well though.

Last edited:
The colts was a good game with 3 PSA boys back in, very confused why they put a Michael Broadbridge/Shane Woewodin trained gun winger Mitch Miller up in the forward pocket though, total waste of opportunity and talent. Jonah Brooks also up backline when he is so dominant in the mid field. They did use Will Cassidy well though.
I think that they are teaching them to play in different positions, Jonah plays mid for his PSA team and I think he needs to learn a bit of defence, also he uses the ball well when coming out of the backline, his old man hates it but ........

I think that they are teaching them to play in different positions, Jonah plays mid for his PSA team and I think he needs to learn a bit of defence, also he uses the ball well when coming out of the backline, his old man hates it but ........
Grump is Jonah Brooks father ex EP/Cl player Nathan Brooks?

He certainly is, Kalani who plays reserves and could play league next year is his older lad. Nathan was the classic white line manic, quiet and reserved off the the field and mmmmm once he crossed the line , well a different story. He is at the games and provides great support to all the players and game. A really great person.

He certainly is, Kalani who plays reserves and could play league next year is his older lad. Nathan was the classic white line manic, quiet and reserved off the the field and mmmmm once he crossed the line , well a different story. He is at the games and provides great support to all the players and game. A really great person.
I went to high school with Nathan - Mt Lawley SHS, he was a year behind me..yep very much the same playing footy with him for the school team...quiet until he stepped over that white line....his older brother Damon played 1st grade cricket for Melville, talented sporting family....I think Nathan's sister married Subi champ Ian Dargie...

Last edited:
The Perth game was one that we should have won and did, Swans are a different proposition. They lost to SF by a point but had key players missing, if they come back then we will have to be at our best to win, then Peel who are looking to finals as well then Subi who at times look like they are moving forward only to stumble. The road home is going to be difficult and will test us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, one change, Ramsay in,Thomas Graham playing reserves but hard to push anyone out after a win. Great to see Hille playing albeit in the reserves along with Ethan Regan who I think is going to be very good hopefully for us. Most pundits have Swans winning and my head says that is the likely result but with a bit of luck we could win it. 'Cloudy. Very high (near 100%) chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm. Winds north to northwesterly 20 to 30 km/h shifting southwesterly 25 to 35 km/h in the late afternoon.' suggests a heavy track at bassendean but both teams to play on it. Wonder if the boys got some sage advice again this week abt boots and stops. Had a look elsewhere and it seems that the glass isn't half full but running over. The sensible Swans fellas are still that, sensible.

Last edited:
Well what do you say about to Bassendean. The colts was a good win albeit against a bit of a depleted swans side, given that Swans did not stop and gave it their all, EP best listed on the WAFL site were all good but for me Baker was clearly the best afield and his work often enabled others to get free and play well, we all look at the game differently (apparently I certainly do). The reserves should have could have and had to win but the Swans boys kicked 3 in the last to overhaul us after holding goalless for 3 quarters. A loss we could ill afford but the return of Boules and Hille from injury was a great sign.

Now to the league. Funny that the worst has all the high possession winners as the best players where as the WAFL site is much more accurate reflection of EP's game. Swans were just that much better, they ran, made space and used the ball to their players advantage rather than the chaos disposals we displayed. Our for ward line was blanketed which is more of a reflection on the middle for us than the forwards not trying, bit hard to take a mark unless the ball is delivered in a manner that is to your advantage.

Bit sad really and seeing the President and CEO standing with heads bowed was also a bit sad.

Dear Members,
Unfortunately, the Western Australian Football Commission has deemed Leederville Oval as being unsafe for our League, Reserves and Colts fixtures this Saturday, the 30th of July against Peel Thunder.

As a result, the decision has been made to move these these matches to East Fremantle Oval.

The Club assessed several different options including moving the game to the WACA, Mineral Resources Park, Cockburn or David Grays Arena (Rushton Park) as well as moving the matches to next week, however these options were not viable or permitted by the WAFC.

The game times are as follows

Saturday 30th July 2022 at East Fremantle Oval
League – 2.10pm
Reserves – 11.40am
Colts – 9.10am

The Club is working with East Fremantle with regard to ground amenities and will let Members and supporters know as soon as possible.

As a result of the fixture change our planned Members Appreciation Day, City of Vincent Football Festival, Ballajura Royals Day at the WAFL and Corporate Functions will be rescheduled for another date.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused but hope to make ‘Shark Park’ an East Perth fortress for this week as we endeavour to keep our finals chances alive.

East Perth Forever

b3f80f85-9007-d79c-d3c3-fffbc0139b5c.jpg

Dean Turner
Cheif Executive Officer
East Perth Football Club

Well the team is in and it is great to see Mr Hille play his 100th game, have known him since development days and whislt it has taken a while it is just superb. Ameduri in the centre but I truly wonder f that is where he will play, as an attacking player or WASTED as a tagger. Cooper Sparks in for his Debut, doesn't get as much of the ball as the twin but I think his possessions and worth more. Colts and Ressies are strength by some good ins and the Colts game will be worth getting there early, have a good one and be safe

Well the colts lost but still played well, it was the usual story with EP going out and Peel coming home, this pattern in the colts with these two teams has been evident since I have or was involved with the team. The reserves won and should have done given the players dropped from the league.

And now the league, well given I caught the dreaded 19 lurgy I could not go and watch so resorted to the streaming option, I know Mr Robbins is not a high profile commentator but could he at least try to get the players names correct but onto more pressuring issues. I really thought we had an opportunity to show a bit and show that the team has progressed but sadly we did not. It would seem that the idea of manning up, covering players and running with your man or any man for that matter is not something our game plan includes. Yep the player has a responsibility but surely at the breaks and when the runner comes out that it would be a key message, sadly I am not sure that it is or was! Peel were good.

We won the hitouts but the clearances seemed from watching were 70/30 peels way and our accuracy in front of goal was much better but as with another team not much point when the scoring shots and inside 50's do not correlate to keeping the ball inside 50 for multiple shots.

I understand there were some positional changes made, one was Msando into the forward line which seems to me to be a bandaid approach.

I know there are more games to come but some will say we can still make the pointy end of the season but ponder this

2019 played 14; W 5 L 9; 72% placed 8th

2020 played 8*; W 4 L 4; 109% placed 5th

2021 played 14; W 5 L 9; 82% placed 7th

2022 played 14; W 6 L 8; 103% placed 7th

which suggests that there is a one game and % improvement but we play Subi ( who knows abt that one), Cardinals ( cannot see us winning that) The Sharks (mmm the less said the better) and Souths ( on the improve and looking be a return to finals again). Perhaps one more win but it will be a toss up.

Well the colts lost but still played well, it was the usual story with EP going out and Peel coming home, this pattern in the colts with these two teams has been evident since I have or was involved with the team. The reserves won and should have done given the players dropped from the league.

And now the league, well given I caught the dreaded 19 lurgy I could not go and watch so resorted to the streaming option, I know Mr Robbins is not a high profile commentator but could he at least try to get the players names correct but onto more pressuring issues. I really thought we had an opportunity to show a bit and show that the team has progressed but sadly we did not. It would seem that the idea of manning up, covering players and running with your man or any man for that matter is not something our game plan includes. Yep the player has a responsibility but surely at the breaks and when the runner comes out that it would be a key message, sadly I am not sure that it is or was! Peel were good.

We won the hitouts but the clearances seemed from watching were 70/30 peels way and our accuracy in front of goal was much better but as with another team not much point when the scoring shots and inside 50's do not correlate to keeping the ball inside 50 for multiple shots.

I understand there were some positional changes made, one was Msando into the forward line which seems to me to be a bandaid approach.

I know there are more games to come but some will say we can still make the pointy end of the season but ponder this

2019 played 14; W 5 L 9; 72% placed 8th

2020 played 8*; W 4 L 4; 109% placed 5th

2021 played 14; W 5 L 9; 82% placed 7th

2022 played 14; W 6 L 8; 103% placed 7th

which suggests that there is a one game and % improvement but we play Subi ( who knows abt that one), Cardinals ( cannot see us winning that) The Sharks (mmm the less said the better) and Souths ( on the improve and looking be a return to finals again). Perhaps one more win but it will be a toss up.

It was certainly a very disappointing performance yesterday, Boogyman, following on from our disheartening game against Swans last Saturday.
I don't doubt that the boys tried, but going the extra yard and doing the one-percenters was sadly lacking, as you alluded to.
There seemed to be an air of resignation and we were lucky that Peel's radar was off target from midway through the second quarter.
As it stands, based on Ric's excellent waflfootyfacts stats, three of our biggest four losses to the Thunder have been in the past two years.
The players can do one of two things in the remaining four games after next week's bye: (1) curl up the toes and focus on the end-of-season trip or (2) finish with a wet sail as East Fremantle did last year.
In terms of the best option, we just need to look at where the Sharks are now.
He can't create miracles, but I hope Jeremy Barnard is able to lift our players' intensity by 200% in the last month of the season.

FitzroyPete, thx but without wanting to be considered whiteanting the coach but being honest in expressing an opinion I do think that Barnard can do anything like that or he would have done it many games over the journey, he just does not what do or how to do it. The continual band aid fixes just keeps reminding me of the little boy and the dyke. I am sorry being negative but I do not see very many positives in his management of our football team.

Is there any truth in the rumor Perth coach Moss may be heading to EP next year?

TBH isnt Barnard's win loss record better then Monaghan's at EF at the same stages of their coaching contracts with their respective clubs? Pleased EF kept the faith in Monaghan, surely Barnard is of similar ilk to Monaghan, just with less coaching experience.

Is there any truth in the rumor Perth coach Moss may be heading to EP next year?

TBH isnt Barnard's win loss record better then Monaghan's at EF at the same stages of their coaching contracts with their respective clubs? Pleased EF kept the faith in Monaghan, surely Barnard is of similar ilk to Monaghan, just with less coaching experience.
Well if you read the other site the rumours are running rampant but the oracle says no that he won't be at EP. My skinny is that EP's coaching job maybe up for grabs but who will in the running is a big question. Moss maybe, Sellwood or someone completely out of left field. It is interesting that the Perth folk are creating some of this and what their motives are, do they want Chris Mayne as coach, there was a lot of argument for that, these and more questions will be answered later but if I hear and credible info I will put it on here.

As for the Monaghan Barnard comparison I think your coach showed more at WP in building them up and then his work at EF was always on track.

Well, an interesting development. Ethan Regan has been given a permit to play for WCER today. Ethan is 191cm. strong and a bit aggressive in his play
(which is not a bad thing in my opinion), he is a strong mark and has good skills. Was in the 18's last year as part of the WCE academy but they did not draft him or rookie list him. There were obvious reasons for that (in my opinion) mostly a lack of maturity which at times saw him have a bit of a sulk. When you are the F&B all through your junior days some players take a while to adjust and understand that all of a sudden you're playing against boys of the same ilk and YOU need to work hard/er.

BUT he has shown in the past months after coming back from an ankle injury that he can, BOG last week in the ressies.

I think Ethan is worth a rookie listing at WCE (bit biased I know). In that environment and with that tutelage he will develop to a far greater extent than if he stays at EP, sad but honest!

Seems to be a bit of support for the Royals in the tomorrows match. I suppose we have a better than even chance in it but will need to not fall into the usual traps especially those emanating from off the playing field. Strange that Dittmar is in a forward pocket, good that Ameduri is in the middle as long as it is NOT tagging role on Marsh, the backline looks solid as usual. The ressies will have a hard time winning but if everything falls right we can still play in September. The colts will be a very good game with what looks like to me to be a very strong Royals tea. Sandor Page to debut, good for him and hopefully for the team. Interesting that Cooper Sparks retained and Harley dropped, personally I think that it is a good decision as Cooper is about construcive play rather than just gathering stats.

Last edited:
Ok the dominoes did not fall in to place for EP but in all honesty they were never going to and I really just kidded myself that we had a chance. It seems once again the WAFL site reckons possessions are the determining factor in being best on ground. Clearly 62 hitouts and a dominance by Jones counts for not much. He gets the hitouts and the opposition take it away, sometimes not but if Brayshaw and Scott are such great players where are the resulting I50's mmmm, Schumaker at least gets more than others, Dittmar might have only got 11 possessions 4 inside 50's was better than some. My better players would be Jones, Eaton, Hayden, Msando and Ameduri.

The ressies game that I thought we would struggle in was a good win. Thomas Amos was dominate in the ruck with Harley Sparks actually getting more than zero i50's, 5 out of 28 possessions playing the mid field was better but again we should be expecting more. North, Watts and Reilly all did well with Hubbard playing a good game.

The colts game was all abt the wind and to Subi's credit they used much better than we did, they nearly out scored is in the third quarter against the wind which meant that they came hme with the wind and made great use of it, well done to Subi!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back