Autopsy Round 9, 2024: Hawthorn v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the bright side,

Steele looks to be over that knee issue. Or at least, be less hampered by it.

Nas has learnt how to work himself into a game after a slow start. The candy selling was a small bit of sizzle in an awfully dour game.

Howard was solid again. Battle is still a good set shot.

Reckon that was Bonners best game so far.

6 tackles for Hugo and that nice passage in the 4th where he showed the class to hit a forward on the chest (sad that anyone doing that is considered a highlight).
Garcia is impressive. Will be a useful midfielder for us. Will keep getting a game in front of Collard you would think as Collard is v slight.

Hard to understand why we haven't manouevred our way into the mid-season draft? Surely the 5th best player in all the state leagues would be of some value to us.

Anyone bagging the coach’s have rocks in their head, we rebuilding that’s why Ross was brought in, that review we done 2 years ago it was said we don’t have the players or the footy department. Now the department has had a full turn over now it’s the players turn. Buckle up lads
Making finals last year has rightly upped everyone's expectations. Going backwards isn't acceptable

NDS left for a Brad Scott coached team. Saints won a wooden spoon.

Gresham left for a Brad Scott coached team. Saints are out of finals and a bottom 5 team.

The reality is that until and unless Collard comes good, the Gresham trade's been a bit suspect.

I suspected that too much might be expected from Henry coming back. He is after all a touch player. And how clever I must be, because he was pretty invisible in the first half. He’ll be better for it. Next time Sandy first!

…and speaking of Sandy, they better bloody well win by 225 points next time they play!!

Gresham left for a Brad Scott coached team. Saints are out of finals and a bottom 5 team.

The reality is that until and unless Collard comes good, the Gresham trade's been a bit suspect.
Gresham is playing some decent footy at the minute but not sure he's why they are playing well/why we aren't...

The reality is that among a bunch of melts, this is the worst post of the lot.

Every word is dripping of irrelevance.

It wasn't a trade, and Gresham was not worth the money he wanted.

So we’re full rebuild but not playing Collard or Schoey. We drop a 23 year old Byrnes for 25 year old Paton.

We bring in a 27 year old Bonner who hasn’t missed a game.

I think you’ve got ******* rocks in your head if you think Ross isn’t playing for the now.

Membrey had zero tackles too and did less than king does he stay in?
Also you want to drop king but you don’t want to play kids. Is there an experienced star forward at sandy ready to step up and be a spearhead in the most boring team in the comp?
It's true, we've got nothing. But if we were to bring in Sharman, Collard, Caminiti, and leave Battle forward with Hayes. At least we'd have guys willing to move. It still sounds s*it, but at least they'll tackle and chase. If we're going to lose, it might as well be with players who are willing to play, and not guys coasting on reputation.
A statement needs to be made, and with the season all but over... it's time to let the protected know that they're not protected anymore.
An attitude adjustment is required by quite a few.

There's a part of me that wishes the AFL would come out on Monday and say they're stripping our licence and winding the place up. Then I wouldn't have to go thru this crap week after week, year after year.

We've been "building" for 15 years now, and we've got nothing more than a porta potty sitting on an empty block to show for it.

Our kids are massively overrated, and none have made any progress from last year. Our draft haul from this year doesn't have much going for it - Wilson can run, that's about it. Garcia and Hastie are getting undeserved games right now, just like Pou was up until this week. They're passengers.

I've defended King time and time again, but no more. He's got every trait to be a generational player, but gets pushed off the ball too easily, and if he doesn't get a free kick he sulks for the next hour. Maybe time to reunite with your brother afterall?

We need to have a break, Saints. This is not working for me. And it's not me, it's you.

So we’re full rebuild but not playing Collard or Schoey. We drop a 23 year old Byrnes for 25 year old Paton.

I think you’ve got ******* rocks in your head if you think Ross isn’t playing for the now.
Rubbish, Wilson, Garcia, hastie add in windy and owens and Naz, Ross is trying to rebuild on the fly and not get belted every week look how that’s going for north

Is it Ross or Harvey's fault that the forward line is hopeless? When we win, he always mentions the assistant coaches... is that who we should blame, too?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbish, Wilson, Garcia, hastie add in windy and owens and Naz, Ross is trying to rebuild on the fly and not get belted every week look how that’s going for north
Yeh and how’s that working out?

We just kicked 7 goals against a side younger and more clearly rebuilding than us.

If he’s playing the kids, play the kids. This rebuild narrative is bullshit. He’s never done it, why the heck would he start now.

Schoey cant defend yet. He hasn't warranted selection over better performed defenders. I'd like to see Collard play but I can also understand why with his tiny frame and low VFL numbers we haven't rushed him.

There would likely be complaints if we played Byrnes as sub for a 2nd week in a row so Paton took that after a good VFL performance and Byrnes should get a full game at VFL level to restake his claim.

Bonner has warranted selection and was one of our best today. His birth certificate shouldn't prevent him from playing when he is clearly good enough and doing what the coaches want.

Garcia is impressive. Will be a useful midfielder for us. Will keep getting a game in front of Collard you would think as Collard is v slight.

Hard to understand why we haven't manouevred our way into the mid-season draft? Surely the 5th best player in all the state leagues would be of some value to us.
We still have time to open up a spot but that would involve stopping Van Es from playing at any level of the rest of the season which might not be something we want to do if he looks like he will be over the ankle with time left in the season.

Schoey cant defend yet. He hasn't warranted selection over better performed defenders. I'd like to see Collard play but I can also understand why with his tiny frame and low VFL numbers we haven't rushed him.

There would likely be complaints if we played Byrnes as sub for a 2nd week in a row so Paton took that after a good VFL performance and Byrnes should get a full game at VFL level to restake his claim.

Bonner has warranted selection and was one of our best today. His birth certificate shouldn't prevent him from playing when he is clearly good enough and doing what the coaches want.
Bonner can’t defend either. His birth certificate counts against him if we’re looking at rebuild or not.

If you wanna believe you’ll look for whatever supports what you’re already thinking.

We’re trying to win and we’re failing horrendously. If Collards not coming in when Butler is out then when?

It’s hilarious watching the eternal optimists.

I suspected that too much might be expected from Henry coming back. He is after all a touch player. And how clever I must be, because he was pretty invisible in the first half. He’ll be better for it. Next time Sandy first!

…and speaking of Sandy, they better bloody well win by 225 points next time they play!!
You are probably right - but his selection shows how desperate we are for anyone with speed and a bit of X factor!

I'd trade a star or two from our team to go 1 step back and hopefully go two steps forward. Team is no where near competing for a flag anytime soon. Don't need to trade all out but enough to add more young talent quicker. Otherwise you're lucking out on the draft. We're more likely to get a Richard Tambling/Jack Billings instead of a Franklin/Bontempelli anyway.

Gresham is playing some decent footy at the minute but not sure he's why they are playing well/why we aren't...
getting rid of gresh really say that Ross thinks we are miles off it. That and letting billings and Coff go said the same. I think he expected us to go backward this year but not at this rate. No one be fooled, we are in a rebuild

Bonner can’t defend either. His birth certificate counts against him if we’re looking at rebuild or not.

If you wanna believe you’ll look for whatever supports what you’re already thinking.

We’re trying to win and we’re failing horrendously. If Collards not coming in when Butler is out then when?

It’s hilarious watching the eternal optimists.
Of course we are trying to win. Thats the whole point of this f*cking game and competition.

But we are trying to win while also getting games into kids. That doesn't mean playing them all at the same time and not caring what happens. It also doesn't mean getting rid of any older player, including those who are playing well and doing what is asked of it, for any player who is younger for them. It's like people forget we need senior players in the side to help develop and take the pressure off the young kids finding their way. Or that if a kid is still struggling with some aspect of their at the lower, throwing them into the seniors is unlikely to be best thing for the development.

Also love the use of 'eternal optimists' as some sort of insult as if actually looking at the game or team selection with balance and reason is a bad thing and throwing a hissy fit every time we lose is some sort of badge of honour.

I'm usually pretty positive about the team but play the same inept midfield week after week is mind boggling , Owens needs time in the midfield , he can at least fight for the ball - Seb Ross just is not good enough sorry to say and needs to be played as a sub or at Sandringham.
I fully expect Dow to be brought straight into the side next week because we can't keep rolling out the same crap.
Our weak point is the midfield and until we we fix it we will be battling to beat any team.

Time for a sing-along

Euro, euro, euroyroke,
Gently down the stream,
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily
Finals are but a dream.

Now for the serious part.

I saw Sydney surgically take Freo apart last night and not surprisingly we are light years away. They were patient, they controlled the tempo and when it was time to run to the right spots they did it in swarms. Everyone appeared on the same page and it looked like a training exercise at times. They also had the flair and confidence to run at Freo and go right through them. It is the best footy I have seen live for a very long time. We need to use that as a blueprint to go forward.

What was said during our practice matches last year? Nothing has changed coaches doing the best with what they have, blood some youth and don’t get belted every week, come end of year there will be some unpopular decisions made regarding some older players but it’s needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back