Autopsy Round 9, 2024: Hawthorn v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can drop a mark, and let go of a tackle better than any other side.

Actually have had a bit of hope since the boss and his merry men all arrived back. The truth is we’re in no man’s land and pretty much rooted.

Just fold us and put us 50-58 year olds out of our misery. We’re a rabble.
That's a pi$$weak attitude. It's not just a few of our players who need to harden up.

Reasons I thought we lost:
  • Shocking forward pressure.
  • Shocking delivery into the forward line.
  • Midfield in the first half insipid.
  • Missed shots on goal.

It's just awful watching a game like that and then losing. At least if you win you get the four points. It reminded me of the Essendon game.

It makes no sense to me why Collard isn't playing. We need scorers.

Mitchito just anonymous at the moment. His opponent is regularly killing us.

I know King will cop it but look at the delivery to him.

King was a disappointment despite two goals, just looks like a slug, failed to chase and tackle on several occasions, lazily sits behind packs and just refuses to move around and probe for a lead.
He needs to go back to Sandringham and told he isn't coming back until he fixes certain things

I don't see how we gain any advantage from Roma grabbing it of of the ruck and hacking it forward. Apart from gaining territory, how often does it lead to a score. Most teams by now would be aware of it and setup for it at stoppage.
I would rather him give it off to someone so we can at least try and maintain possession and find a leading player. Figuring out how to tap the ball to our advantage would also help.

We should be first to react to these situations, but our forwards are shocking at reading the play and are nearly always second to the fall of the ball. They give away the front position way too easily and when they get there first they dont mark the ball. Oppositions know that our blokes are susceptible to being pushed under the ball and they get away with it constantly.

Truth be told I thought King should have been the player subbed out of the game. He kicked two goals but he offers nothing else when it comes to forward pressure, he looks like bambi chasing a cheetah its embarrassing. We continually kick to him when the opposition are set up around him, thats not his fault but when he is not there we start looking for leads.

• Missed shots on goal.

It's just awful watching a game like that and then losing. At least if you win you get the four points. It reminded me of the Essendon game.

you left out one of the youngest lists in the comp that is only 31 games into a full rebuild and lacking serious talent.

We are getting what we wanted when we bought Ross in.

He was give a mandate to rebuild and he's doing his job.

It's a sh*t sandwich. Drag an old coach out of retirement with lots of $$ and expect miracles. What la la land is the president living in.
It is depressing isn’t it.
But we brought Ross back to help the rebuild, not an instant fix. Not sure if that makes you feel better or not!

Reckon King was infringed in the last marking contest over the shoulder not paid.
Hawks were harder at the clearances and were far more dangerous around the ball than we were. They just had no one to kick to and manufactured goals by any means. We did well keeping them to 8 goals. Issue is they kept us to 7!
I cannot see where Owens is going in his career....play him in the guts or back flank he needs to be more involved.
We just couldn't win a Centre Bounce and our forwards cannot get on the end of any of the Marshall clearance. Surely it's 50/50 chance we seem to get none....how's that possible?

Anyway this was always a danger game and Hawks have the wood on us.
At the end of last year to make finals we beat Hawks Dogs Geelong and Ess. None of whom we beat this year...says it all.

Lers get games into the young players and move on some old friends and see what the draft beings us.

Sad, as I thought we were better than what we have shown so far this year.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

We aren't playing finals now barring a miraculous winning streak which is unlikely when we are battling to string 2 wins together.

Probably for the best as even if we snuck into finals like last year we still wouldn't be a flag contender, time to get more games into our talented young players, even if it costs us wins in the short term it should help us get more talented kids in the long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wish the AFL would fold this club or merge us. Put us out of our misery. Soul less weak football club

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Would you care for a St Melbourne type of deal? I’m up for a new look and we could trade Goodwin and Lyon for a first round coach

Is it a pre-requisite to be an emotional reactive pussy in this forum? The club has been very clear that some veteran foot soldiers were cleared out last year and kids will be given game time… both teams today would have very similar age profiles. So don’t expect (because he made finals last year) that we’re a 10 goal better team than Hawthorn… we won every key indicator except the scoreboard, but plenty of positives to take from the game.
ok. it's late Friday night in the US but seriously,..Positives?

Hastie looks like a player that finds himself at the point where the ball lands an awful lot. I like that as it's a natural skill that so many of our players dont have. He's also a twig that if he was my son I'd ring work cover to ask if it is legal for him to play.

Hawthorn wanted it more. Garcia showed that more than most of our players he was up for the contest.

There were no positives. That was as abjectly poor a performance as you could imagine. Another footy season dead before winter.

Only listened to the game, but why is Battle our most threatening forward?

Now that we are definitely not playing finals, we have to look to the future. Dow / Byrnes and Caminiti / Sharman might not necessarily make it with us, but I don't think they would have done much worse than Ross and Membrey. They have been great servants of our club, but will not be part of our long or even medium term future.

I would like to see Collard play next week. He doesn't get a lot of the ball, but he knows how to kick a goal. He will probably request a trade at the end of the year, so we should at least try and increase his value. Who knows, he might kick a few goals for us, stop getting burnt by his teammates like in round 1 and we might be able to trick him into re-signing.

• Missed shots on goal.

Anyone blaming King has rocks in their head. Yes he has things he can improve on but between our skill level, decision making and overall forward set up, we make it so difficult for him anytime we go inside 50.

Looking at that game, you see a young well-drilled disciplined team in Hawthorn, compared to a lumbering bunch of guys running around at half pace looking like a VFL team in the Saints. That was rubbish which Lyon served up today, as it was in a few other games this season.

We need new blood.

We need to get more coaches from outside the Saints bubble like Enright, coaches that are there on merit rather than nostalgia.

As much as we all love Lenny, Harves and BJ I'm still not convinced that any of them are the best assistant coaches we could get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back