Remove this Banner Ad

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
Ladies and gentlemen, thanks to a wonderful combination of factors including Xi Jingping, our federal government and all our state governments, I'm proud to announce we've shithoused our way into a primetime Saturday night fixture at the 'G.

Sort of anyway. Turns out some geriatric who used to play for Port and plays for Hawthorn is celebrating his 400th game, so a national FTA slot eludes us yet again.

The Home Team: The Fremantle Dockers

I'm sure we need no introductions. We wear purple, historically under-resourced and lacked success, and with a promising core of young players we're looking to shithouse our way into finals while we still have Fyfe, Walters and Mundy.

The Opposition: The Once-Mighty Carlton Blues

What can we say about Carlton? Once a powerhouse of the AFL, winning flag after flag and grand final appearance after grand final appearance. Unlike our lovable battlers Carlton always had the resources and all the success it could buy. But unfortunately for them a chance encounter with Freo at the trade table would see that all come tumbling down. As the great BigFooty copypasta explains:

Worst trade ever?

That's easy. Pick 16 and 46 for Stephen O'Reilly who played 12 games for you. AND you had to pay him illegally outside the cap. AND he blew the whistle on you. AND you had to pay a fine. AND you got kicked out of the draft and had to recruit hacks. AND it meant that your mulit-million investment in Denis Pagan was a waste because he had no players.

Stephen O'Reilly for - Pick 16, pick 46, $1m fine, pick 1, 2, 17 and 33 in the 2003 draft, pick 1 in the 2003 PSD, 1st and 2nd round picks in the 2004 draft.

I reckon that would have the McMahon trade covered by a couple of laps of Flemington, then a trip down the highway for a run round Caulfield, before a backtrack to run the length of the Moone Valley straight.

Since that point Carlton have never come close to another flag, instead favouring wooden cutlery. Some might even go so far to say Stephen O'Reilly is the reason Carlton have been playing their Grand Final against us in recent years.

This year Carlton have shown vulnerabilities thanks to the poor defensive work-rate of their players, as well as Teague's tactics that often see his defenders exposed to one-on-one contests and vulnerable against fast counter-attacks when his side turn the ball over going forward. Here's some nice primers on it:

Carlton will come into this game sitting at 5-9, with an external review hanging over their heads and the prospect of another wasted season despite their high-profile new recruits.

Team Changes:

1625132793120.png

What's At Stake:

Thanks character from Disney movie people barely watched or remembered for making my point.

For Freo a result against Carlton will be vital to keep us in touch with the top-8; particularly ahead of a tough end of season fixture. A win here will set up a run to finals; a loss may push finals out of our reach.

Carlton won't play finals this year; structural issues combined with their 5-9 record will ensure that. But a positive result against us will keep their season alive just a bit longer, and take the pressure off Teague.

Predicted Result:

Fremantle come out firing in the first quarter, and take a heavy lead. Carlton over the course of the rest of the game pull the margin back, and a late run leaves us only a few points ahead with less than a minute to go. A Colyer turnover in our forward-line sees Saad recieve the ball, with the open corridor to run into. The umpire is so mesmerised by Saad's run he fails to notice that Saad hasn't bounced the ball as he completes his run from half back to shrug an Acres tackle and kick at goal from the 50m line, converting a major and giving Carlton a late lead they don't deserve.

Our finals hopes die, and Adam Saad despite his illegal action is rewarded with GOTY for his heroics.

heck it, we're going to smash this. We got beaten up last time, Fyfe won't let that happen again and Moose will s**t all over McKay. Treacy gets that bag we're hanging out for. Us by 5 goals

Nice preview 🙂🙂

Given the Tigers lost, we win this one and we end up in the eight,... a right monstrous season is revived once again, Frankenstein-style (It's... ALIVE!!)

We lose this one... Meh. See you next year.

Freo by eight, and into the eight. Go Freo!!

Richmond lose by 10! YES! Win and we're in the top 8.

Our youngsters smell blood in the water and it tastes like finals!!

Fyfe gives them an impassioned speech pre-game and they come out of the gates blazing.

Darcy dominates the center clearances by 23.

Brayshaw has 54 disposals and Serong gets 44 and Cerra hits Tracey on the lead all game and the Cyclone kicks a bag of 6. Lobb gets 4.

Henry takes mark of the game by standing on a defenders head and kicks 3.

Wilson breaks through the back line to finish with 2,308 meters gained.

Ryan, Pierce, and Logue combine for 27 intercept marks.

Because Freo is ahead by so much, Mundy rests on the bench the entire 4th quarter.

Freo by 121!!

(ok, maybe I've slightly overexaggerated things, but I'm pumped)

Isn't it a Freo fan's dream to beat Carlton for a spot in the 8? Love it.

I think this will be a tough game.

Blues will be confident after the game earlier in the year and coming off a win.

Looking for a consistent and mature game, with some ruthlessness in attack.

I was at the Carlton game earlier this year and it seemed like it was effort based as opposed to anything tactical or structural.

If we’re serious we win.

26 years of supporting Freo has taught me to hope for the best but expect the worst in situations like this.

I am not at all confident we will be up for the challenge but then again why not? Come on Freo!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL website is showing no free-to-air coverage for this game. I thought there was some sort of agreement that meant all away games (probably the key phrase) needed to be beamed into WA on free-to-air. Are we going to miss out?

The AFL website is showing no free-to-air coverage for this game. I thought there was some sort of agreement that meant all away games (probably the key phrase) needed to be beamed into WA on free-to-air. Are we going to miss out?

It's on 7Mate for Perth.

Do you have the AFL site set to your location?

I think this will be a tough game.

Blues will be confident after the game earlier in the year and coming off a win.

Looking for a consistent and mature game, with some ruthlessness in attack.

Hopefully they will be overconfident…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I feel for the mods on Saturday night if the boys fall in a heap and we get done by 5 goals.

Hope you all have the emergency scotch handy.
I may or may not be going to the game so hopefully I can smuggle emergency scotch into the 'G.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back