Prediction Changes: Round 4 Vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton's midfield has bullied us for the last 8 or so years, hoping with Young and Fyfe in there that we don't get bullied this time around.

They are a confidence team and they have massive confidence against us, they know they can beat us and have continually done so for the last 7/8 years, we are well and truly their bunnies, laughable to think that we arent, it doesn't matter if we could've/should've beaten them within that time, the fact is we lost multiple games to them when we shouldn't have and in doing so have become their bunnies.

I concur with those saying Ras for Emmett, think Erasmus isn’t that slow and his ability to run all day would be huge in the forward line as a pressure option over Emmett at the moment. Cooper in as sub to add spark in the fourth to get us over the line in an arm wrestle. Rest unchanged.

Carlton's midfield has bullied us for the last 8 or so years, hoping with Young and Fyfe in there that we don't get bullied this time around.

They are a confidence team and they have massive confidence against us, they know they can beat us and have continually done so for the last 7/8 years, we are well and truly their bunnies, laughable to think that we arent, it doesn't matter if we could've/should've beaten them within that time, the fact is we lost multiple games to them when we shouldn't have and in doing so have become their bunnies.

I reckon being confident of a win is a negative in this comp, if you look at the weekend Melbourne, Essendon, Richmond & Collingwood all went in as underdogs and probably should have all lost if you look at the stats, but their “effort” got them over the line. Over confidence leads to poor effort. Also surprisingly Carlton has lost “clearances” in every game this year, but still won, so I think it’s their forwards who have got them over the line. That gives me more confidence given how our backs are going.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I reckon being confident of a win is a negative in this comp, if you look at the weekend Melbourne, Essendon, Richmond & Collingwood all went in as underdogs and probably should have all lost if you look at the stats, but their “effort” got them over the line. Over confidence leads to poor effort. Also surprisingly Carlton has lost “clearances” in every game this year, but still won, so I think it’s their forwards who have got them over the line. That gives me more confidence given how our backs are going.

Our defenders won’t even be allowed to touch Curnow without him getting a free kick. Most protected forward out there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I concur with those saying Ras for Emmett, think Erasmus isn’t that slow and his ability to run all day would be huge in the forward line as a pressure option over Emmett at the moment. Cooper in as sub to add spark in the fourth to get us over the line in an arm wrestle. Rest unchanged.
Cooper will not be sub. He got physically smashed in the peel game. Will be very sore.

The Emmett discussion is interesting - I rate him, but can we afford to continue running with both him and Switta as low scoring/high pressure forwards?

It's a moot point if he starts converting, but both the Ras and Simpson arguments make sense if he doesn't.

The Emmett discussion is interesting - I rate him, but can we afford to continue running with both him and Switta as low scoring/high pressure forwards?

It's a moot point if he starts converting, but both the Ras and Simpson arguments make sense if he doesn't.

If it works it doesn't matter what it looks like.

The thing with Emmett that I've noticed is that he tends to take possession of the ball at speed and half a yard behind him but the sticky fingers maintain control of the ball and it goes forward.

Another player might not be able to rescue those handpasses like that, resulting in a turnover or more contest.

If it's pressuring the opposition by working to space, it's doing something. I know ultimately forwards are there to kick goals but it's entirely possible that Banfield and Walters are playing the juicy roles up forward and Emmett is playing the higher role that doesn't get as much lick of the ice cream.

Confidence has little substance, it can come and go. It's action what does it for you (and builds confidence).

The thing with Emmett that I've noticed is that he tends to take possession of the ball at speed and half a yard behind him but the sticky fingers maintain control of the ball and it goes forward.

Another player might not be able to rescue those handpasses like that, resulting in a turnover or more contest.
That's exaclty why im so hesitant to pull him out despite his limited impact. He's huge in those link up plays and I don't think any of his replacements can do what he does at full speed.

Feel like Curnow and Mckay are the obvious ones to watch out for in this game. Id also be wary of Weitering and Mggovern. Amiss, Treacy and Taberner will need to bring the heat bigtime

Confidence has little substance, it can come and go. It's action what does it for you (and builds confidence).

I totally disagree this game is 80% in the head and a players attitude is a crucial part of what they do. Being overconfident leads to players not doing the hard things and assuming it will happen or someone else will do it. I was merely responding to a post that someone said Carlton has built confidence from beating us easily in recent years. While that may be good for some it’s a two way street and being overconfident can lead to poor effort. You even mention that action builds confidence! Why does that matter if confidence is irrelevant??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back