Autopsy Round 10 2024 – GWS Giants vs Western Bulldogs, Saturday May 18, 4.35pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I think the admin decided to stick with Canberra at the end of the day so they crunched the numbers. And they know the business.
Absolutely. Our club extended the original 10 year 2012 contract to play 3 AFL games annually with the ACT government, till the end of 2032. Whilst there are some who maybe unhappy, the Giants management, AFL and ACT government are obviously happy with this deal as it benefits the club and the Canberra region.

Back to the point of Olympic Park. I don't know if you follow the NRL as well, but Homebush isn't loved by the fans. Heck, Leichardt is getting some money so their plumbing system will work!

It's the optics of the crowd in attendance at Olympic Park which is the big negative.

Everything else is accommodated at Homebush, especially transport.

There's no train service anywhere near Balmain. Getting to the ground and parking is a nightmare.

So too Brookvale Oval which was updated costing a ton - no train line on the lower north shore (much to Bradfield's chagrin).

So why are the smaller grounds getting financial attention?? Why are grounds with poor public transport and a traffic debacle the way the NRL is going?

Optics.

What are essentially 'boutique' grounds with say a 10,000-20,000 capacity look better on TV, have a better atmosphere as the crowd are more tightly packed and are more likely to be sell-outs. Don't underestimate the sell-out boast that the NRL and its supporters can shout to the AFL especially.

It's not that people hate Homebush, it's just that a crowd of 10,000 looks absolute crap and the NRL have done something about it.

It's the optics of the crowd in attendance at Olympic Park which is the big negative.

Everything else is accommodated at Homebush, especially transport.

There's no train service anywhere near Balmain. Getting to the ground and parking is a nightmare.

So too Brookvale Oval which was updated costing a ton - no train line on the lower north shore (much to Bradfield's chagrin).

So why are the smaller grounds getting financial attention?? Why are grounds with poor public transport and a traffic debacle the way the NRL is going?

Optics.

What are essentially 'boutique' grounds with say a 10,000-20,000 capacity look better on TV, have a better atmosphere as the crowd are more tightly packed and are more likely to be sell-outs. Don't underestimate the sell-out boast that the NRL and its supporters can shout to the AFL especially.

It's not that people hate Homebush, it's just that a crowd of 10,000 looks absolute crap and the NRL have done something about it.
Partially agree with you.

As a person who has been to a number of grounds, it's the atmosphere or lack of at Homebush.

I was at Brookvale when Foran and Parra Eels won. An awesome atmosphere. Commbank stadium rocks when there is 20k+. Leichardt is awesome despite back of the hill being a makeshift toilet when the ground is full.

Olympic Park is great when finals or SOO. It's dead, boring and somewhat depressing on certain days.

Well I think the admin decided to stick with Canberra at the end of the day so they crunched the numbers. And they know the business.
I have no doubt they crunched the numbers.
But don’t bullshit and say it has to done because Easter show when it’s clearly money and easier crowd/juniors driven.
Tasmania and GWS are completely different situations. I don't need to insult your intelligence by highlighting them.
Yep 1 is a region who loves the sport and 1 is a region the AFL and Club are supposedly desperate to win over.
Both are very parochial. Being part time does harm to those aspirations when it looks like we have one foot out the door with an exit strategy to the Capital.
AFL wants Western Sydney, not needing them. A slice of the market, not dominance, ofc.
Where has anyone said we want to dominate the region? We want a piece of the very large and lucrative pie. That was supposed to be what this club was about.
We get sellouts or above 15k+ average with Swans plus tv numbers and we have our slice. We won’t get that with part time.
Back to the point of Olympic Park. I don't know if you follow the NRL as well, but Homebush isn't loved by the fans. Heck, Leichardt is getting some money so their plumbing system will work!
Followed the Tigers since birth, 3rd gen. But please be condescending more.
It isn’t loved by the fans because 10k averages in an 80k stadium suck.
Leichhardt is getting funding, hopefully, because the place is falling apart and is used all year round by multiple sports.

Last edited:
Taurus, I think you need to read my post more carefully.

Anyways, it's off-topic for Giants v Bulldogs and perhaps needs its own thread.

And Taurus, you are a bit condescending.

FYI, I set up multiple broadcast booths weekly right across the state for a radio station covering the NRL for 2 years when I worked in the media. Liaised with interstate contacts to ensure their booths were up and ready.

Made sure that the link to the studio and sideline were patched correctly.

So, when you say, 'As a person who has been to a number of grounds"......

In this instance, you might want to reconsider your tone.

Partially agree with you.

As a person who has been to a number of grounds, it's the atmosphere or lack of at Homebush.
I think you are fibbing there.
Been to that stadium in sold out, or close to, AFL derbies, A-League Derbies, SOO and NRL Grand Finals, Soccer World Cup qualifiers, a Lions Tour game and a night session during the Sydney Olympics.

Atmosphere is not lacking at the place in any way or form.

Last edited:
Apologies if I'm coming across condescending. I was simply responding in kind to Colonial.

For the record, I'm a ticketed member of Parra Eels so I do know what I'm talking about. Funny, I argued my point and being accused of fibbing... I also don't use reaction button with posts I disagree with.

We will agree to disagree about the Olympic Park. I guess it doesn't fit into a particular narrative.

Apologies if I'm coming across condescending. I was simply responding in kind to Colonial.
Really.
For the record, I'm a ticketed member of Parra Eels so I do know what I'm talking about. Funny, I argued my point and being accused of fibbing... I also don't use reaction button with posts I disagree with.
See rubbish like this is why you are being responded to like you are.
We will agree to disagree about the Olympic Park. I guess it doesn't fit into a particular narrative.
Literally pointed out the no atmosphere at Accor games narrative as false except for games under 20k or so.

Literally pointed out the no atmosphere at Accor games narrative as false except for games under 20k or so.
Which is almost all regular season games, hence why NRL clubs are trying to move elsewhere and only play finals there.

One game above 20k there this year. Last year the NRL averaged 15k there, the year before 16k. For it to merely average above 20k you have to go back a decade to 2014.

Which is almost all regular season games, hence why NRL clubs are trying to move elsewhere and only play finals there.
Yep 100%
One game above 20k there this year. Last year the NRL averaged 15k there, the year before 16k. For it to merely average above 20k you have to go back a decade to 2014.
Yep

But saying there is no atmosphere at Olympic Park is just plain wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back