Preview Round 11 2024 – Geelong Cats vs GWS Giants, Saturday May 25, 4.35pm AEST, GMHBA Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
The wheels have well and truly fallen off the Giants' season in the last four weeks. Again, we did not handle greasy/wet conditions, but the malaise seems larger than just not handling the conditions - dispirited, lacking hunger/effort, failure to rise when challenged in games. We also seem to be lacking a Plan B in games, if our tsunami gameplan is curbed or guys like Whitfield are sat on. Injuries are starting to take a toll too, with Kelly and Ash out for a while, Darcy Jones has been added to the list who will be missing for a while, and his speed will be missed. Kingsley doesn't seem to have any clue to how to sort the problems, while his calm demeanour is preferable to hysteria, he needs to find some answers - and quick.

Last year, the win against the Cats at GMHBA Stadium proved to be the spark for our resurgence - so can lightning strike twice? Their season has also hit a speedbump, after starting 7-0, they've lost 3 games in a row too. The Cats were embarrassed by the Darwin shellacking by the Suns, and no doubt will be out to avenge that loss in this game at home. Missing both Cameron and Hawkins, I expect both of them to return for this game. Dangerfield is presumably out, weakening their midfield, which is also a weakness for us at the moment, but can we take advantage of it?

Kingsley has taken a softly, softly approach to team changes, with relatively minimal changes for underperformance to date. So, apart from replacing Jones, should he take a stick to underperforming players, or does he stick solid with guys he feels are "best 22" (albeit not proving so at the moment)? The added problem being that our VFL team is not really performing that well either.

For mine, Conor Stone should be in the crosshairs. We brought him in as a replacement for Callum Brown, but he hasn't performed two weeks in a row, so the team isn't getting the same value as Brown was bringing. Stone gained as many disposals (3) in 85% of the Bulldogs game as Darcy Jones got in 15%. Otherwise, Aaron Cadman had a good start to the year, but it's all dried up for his in the last 2 games. Partly that's the fault of the rest of the team as we've struggled to get it forward, but he's dropped marks he should have taken. Similarly, Riccardi has shown the same issues he had last year. The thing is, though, I would not replace two out of three tall forward (indeed, three of four if you include Stone), so Riccardi keeps his spot for mine.

Toby Bedford has his critics, and he definitely needs to lift his offensive output (for mine, too many handpasses when he needs to take a kick option to get us moving forward more quickly), and with Jones out I think he's safe. Jacob Wehr returned to the team after previously being dropped. He's a neat and tidy player, but does he gives us the counterattack from defence that we need and are missing? Callum Ward was also criticised in the last game, although he seemed to have a run-with role curbing Marcus Bontempelli, which he did pretty well. But we definitely need some help in the midfield. Is Nick Haynes the best option on the wing? He has gotten plenty of the ball but is he using it constructively enough for us?

Max Gruzewski has had a good season in VFL and deserves a shot, has a great leap and good hands, and a decent shot on goal. I'd see if his enthusiasm could provide a spark up front in lieu of Cadman, who can go back to VFL and hopefully rediscover some form. James Peatling was very unlucky to be dropped last week, and had 25 disposals for 10 clearances and 3 goals this week in VFL. He deserves a recall, and a chance to solidify our misfiring midfield. I would keep Xavier O'Halloran, and probably Callan Ward too due to a lack of options, with Harry Rowston probably not doing enough to demand a spot in the first team at this point. What about Toby McMullin? Plays forward, can kick goals, can play midfield minutes. Does Josh Fahey deserve a spot in place of Wehr or Haynes? His last game wasn't the best, but other games he's been prolific; however, he's probably lacking in terms of defence. Can his kicking prowess overcome his defensive deficiencies to command a recall? Not sure. But what we've tried the last three weeks isn't working.

So, at the least for me:

OUT: Jones (inj), Stone, Cadman, Haynes
IN: Peatling, McMullin, Gruzewski, Fahey

B- Idun Buckley Perryman
HB- Himmleberg Taylor Whitfield
C- Callaghan Coniglio Wehr
HF- Daniels Riccardi Bedford
F- Greene Hogan Gruzewski
FOLL- Briggs Green XOH
I/C- Fahey, Ward, Peatling, Thomas
Sub- McMullin

I feel out of good ideas - we can reshuffle the deckchairs to try to get a spark, but there's something within the gameplan and motivation that both Kingsley and the players need to find to improve.

What are your thoughts?

I don't mind the idea of McMullin back in, he's not a silky smooth operator but he's a firecracker and the team has been low on energy for a few weeks. Same goes for Peatling who I feel was pretty hard done by to get dropped in the first place. However I'd keep Cadman over Riccardi if only for the fact that he's a younger player and I think the more games we get into him the better for his development. Jake is in his 5th season now and the same issues keep happening.

Out: Jones, Stone, Riccardi
In: McMullin, Peatling, Keeffe

We have never lost 4 consecutive games in the Kingsley era - even when the lads were learning his new system last year. The win in Geelong was a pivotal moment last year in resurrecting our season, and hopefully history will repeat.

But yes, the wheels have fallen off, and the team has not been responding over the past few weeks. We need to do something to reverse this decline, but I am not sure given the injuries, Brown’s suspension and the poor recent form of our VFL team if dramatic changes can be made.

I don't mind the idea of McMullin back in, he's not a silky smooth operator but he's a firecracker and the team has been low on energy for a few weeks. Same goes for Peatling who I feel was pretty hard done by to get dropped in the first place. However I'd keep Cadman over Riccardi if only for the fact that he's a younger player and I think the more games we get into him the better for his development. Jake is in his 5th season now and the same issues keep happening.

Out: Jones, Stone, Riccardi
I really like those ins, I would be bringing in the same players.

I think I'd probably still drop Cadman ahead of Riccardi, precisely because he's a younger player, I think he'd benefit a bit more from going back to the VFL for a game or two to get his confidence up. Also the tall forward set up we had at the end of last year was Hogan, Riccardi and Keeffe and it was working well, so I'd like to try going back to that.

Out: Jones, Stone, Cadman

Looks like Jones will be sidelined for 7 weeks with injury.

Some potential ins (Peatling & Gruzewski) and potential outs (Cadman & Riccardi) being considered for the upcoming game:
A standout performance of 25 disposals and three goals from midfielder James Peatling in the VFL will mean he's a strong consideration for an senior recall this week, especially in the Giants' search for extra pressure around the ball.

Back-to-back goalless games from Aaron Cadman and just one goal in three weeks from Jake Riccardi places the key forward duo under pressure to hold their spots.

With that in mind, an AFL debut for developing tall forward Max Gruzewski is a definite possibility following a strong run of form in the VFL.

Looks like Jones will be sidelined for 7 weeks with injury.

Some potential ins (Peatling & Gruzewski) and potential outs (Cadman & Riccardi) being considered for the upcoming game:
Some of the things Brett Montgomery says in the AFL article raise more questions than they answer.

The team:

"..need to get their hunger back"

"...there's things in our game that we need to fix, and fix in a hurry"

"...we got some of that nasty, high level hunt back in our game and I think we're at the point in our season where that needs to return very quickly"

"There’s a real flatness in our performances at the moment and I think that's reflected in our inability to score...I think that transfers to other parts of the game."

So why is all this happening?

Interesting input from everyone so far.

I'm still for:
In: Peatling, Out: Jones
In: Keeffe, Out: Stone
In: Gruz, Out: Riccardi

I can see why many believe if it was a choice of dropping either Riccardi or Cadman, then Cadman would be the one.

Having a left-footer in the forwards will give us some variety.

Plus, I can see Riccardi dropping his head and going the sulk early if the Geelong backline get on top of him.

Someone mentioned that Cadman backchatted Kingsley. I actually like that - a bit of fire that's missing during game time.

Last edited:
Buckley's out injured as well.

Goes from bad to worse.

Haynes to the backline.

Gotta think about the line-up again now.....

Edit: Riccardi gets a reprieve....his height might come in handy.

Buckley's out injured as well.

Goes from bad to worse.

Haynes to the backline.

Gotta think about the line-up again now.....

Edit: Riccardi gets a reprieve....his height might come in handy.
Leek Aleer to replace Buckley?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone mentioned that Cadman backchatted Kingsley. I actually like that - a bit of fire that's missing during game time.

I've just seen vision of Callaghan biting back to Kingsley on the boundary during Saturday's game.

So unless there was another incident involving Cadman and the coach, I have probably made an error.

Sorry for the bum steer.

AFL 2024: Jesse Hogan addresses GWS’ offensive woes after loss to Western Bulldogs

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

NSW AFL REPORTER

NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA SPORTS NEWSROOM

21 MAY 2024

Over the past month, the Giants have been a shadow of their former selves. Where they earned a reputation for their incredible speed to transition into attack, that efficiency has completely deserted them in recent matches.

Following their disappointing defeat to the Bulldogs last weekend, GWS has now lost four of their past five matches. On Saturday, they were dominated in the territory battle, losing the inside 50 count 62-41, and they took five fewer marks inside 50 than their season average.

What also stood out was their lack of flexibility in attack. They only had two goal-kickers for the match as Jesse Hogan and Toby Greene both finished with three each. They also had just 13 scoring shots for the match in comparison to the Dogs’ 30.

Hogan was one of the Giants’ shining lights as he celebrated his 150th match, but he knows changes need to be made.

“I think our pressure was good, our tackles were good and we had more possessions,” Hogan said. “But our system is just not standing up at the moment.

“I think we’re shooting ourselves in the foot a little bit, to be honest. Our ball movement is still right up there with some of the best teams. We’re getting in positions to win a lot of these games, but then not converting.

“Our system and the way we move the ball is still the most damaging in the competition, but we’re just not showing it at the moment. We have to rebuild that brand up a bit, that’s the reality of it. We’ll get back to the drawing board and go from there.”

The defeat was the second time this season the Giants have failed to adapt to wet-weather footy after also losing to the Swans in the rain.

Hogan became a key outlet down the wing and finished with a game-high four contested marks. But in a sense they were robbing Peter to pay Paul, with Hogan now out of the forward 50 as a target and Jake Riccardi and Aaron Cadman both having quieter days.

The 29-year-old is clearly in career-best form, but the Giants know that they have to put more of an emphasis on finding a variety of ways to score.

“I don’t think our connection going forward was really strong,” Adam Kingsley said. “We didn’t get the ball forward anywhere near often enough, that has an impact on everyone.

“If you don’t really provide the supply, it’s going to be difficult to really capitalise.

“I didn’t think we were too reliant on Jesse last year when we were playing some really strong football. At the moment, we’re not quite at the levels that we’ve been.

“Jesse competed extremely well tonight and provided a really good target for us. But we’ve got to have more than him. And so we’re fully aware of that.”

“I think what we have at the moment is a player that’s in career-best form and probably attracting a little bit too much ball,” senior assistant coach Brett Montgomery added.

“We need to offset a little bit with our targets, the way we move the ball and just take some load off Jesse. But the silver lining there is we’ve got a really good player in really good form.”

The Giants are not at panic stations yet. Their strong start to the season has given them the platform to still go on a run for a top-four spot later in the year.

But their current form is concerning and Kingsley is determined to turn things around sooner rather than later.

“We’ve got to get our backsides into gear,” Kingsley said.

“We’ve become a little bit unreliable to one another within our system. And that breaks us down a little bit too often.

“You know, we’ve got to pull our fingers out. This competition is very close. There’s a logjam between that middle part of the ladder that we’re a part of now and we need to make sure that we keep our heads above water as best as we can.”

“We take positives out of the game,” Hogan added.

“We’re a very confident group and we have a lot of belief after seeing what we did last year. We just need to fine tweak some things and get our system better.”

Thank goodness Leek should be back this week. I think we'd be sunk without him. As it is his strength should be good match-up for Hawkins while I assume Taylor takes the more dangerous Cameron.

Hopefully we will still making changes up forward irrespective of this.
I think Leek would get monstered by Hawkins. I’d put him on Cameron.

I get the feeling this game will be ugly for us.

I think Leek would get monstered by Hawkins. I’d put him on Cameron.

I get the feeling this game will be ugly for us.
I don't know about that, he did pretty well against the even bigger Harry McKay.

I do share your feeling that this could be an ugly game for us. But if it is it'll be because of the midfield and forward lines continuing to underperform.

With the bye next week I really hope we put everything out on the field against the cats. We have the rest next week so I'd like to see finals intensity football from them this week.

Thank goodness Leek should be back this week. I think we'd be sunk without him. As it is his strength should be good match-up for Hawkins while I assume Taylor takes the more dangerous Cameron.

Hopefully we will still making changes up forward irrespective of this.
Doubt Taylor could keep up with Cameron as he roams the ground. Plus it was while following Daniher up the ground that he damaged his hamstring last year. May need Haynes or Idun to follow Cameron around.
If Callaghan moved to half back he could switch to Cameron when roaming out of the 50. Take the opportunity to run off him on turnover.

Seems our coaching staff have been reading our threads in this forum!

We've come up against teams that have been well and truly prepared for the 'orange tsunami', and probably tested us for a little bit of Plan B in terms of moving the ball.

There's a real flatness in our performances at the moment.
"Our energy for our offence is probably at the same level as our energy for defence at the moment. It's just a little flat.

"These aren't huge issues, but ones we think we can fix pretty quickly."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back