Autopsy Round 10 2024 – GWS Giants vs Western Bulldogs, Saturday May 18, 4.35pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Another game dominated by their ruck

Hogan should be named in the best by himself for us but their forward structure is what we’re lacking some true height.

Darcy is bigger than English and playing as their 3rd tall forward

Hogan should be named in the best by himself for us but their forward structure is what we’re lacking some true height.

Talking about forwards another offer nothing game from Cadman.

Two kicks, no marks and scoreless.

Finn Callaghan is a step slow and a finger short of catching the ball tonight.

He will improve ofc but he may be better off at HF for now.

Really missing Callum Brown.
Should’ve borrowed Lobb for the night

Briggs had 45 hit outs, I thought he clearly won the ruck battle until late in the game. Someone who knew how to rove to him would get a lot of possessions.

Conditions from a spectator view were atrocious, absolutely freezing.

Windchill cut through you and it was just wet enough to add to the misery. Plenty of blankets and oodies seen about.

For all the rain that fell, it only added up to about a mm in the Olympic Park gauge.

Didn't occur to me at the time, that the member turnout in our area looks like it was offset by suppressed turnout in the other areas of the stadium or people avoiding being in the rain/close to the dripline.

Oh dear....

Thank goodness the footy gods were on our side and blessed us with the Dogs' inaccuracy.

Riccardi - yep, off to the 2s and give Gruz a chance. Deadset passenger too often. Has had his chances.
Bedford - when I saw his half time stats, I thought, "WTF???" Another who has done SFA in 2024.
Callaghan - one good game this year. Get him out of the middle. Move him forward to take marks around the 50.
Whitfield - stats accumulator. Playing very poorly - turnover merchant - stats give a false impression on his effectiveness.
Cadman - I just don't know about him. Maybe without Riccardi in the team will help. 2 kicks, 4 handballs.....again, huh????
Ward - he's got his 300. Played like someone who tries their guts out, but, it's really all over.
Haynes - his depth perception when kicking was shocking. Constantly kicked 'floaters' that allowed the opposition to close in and spoil.

Watching from Section 226, it was obvious that our players are lazy. How many times were we outnumbered as the ball moved between the 50m arcs. Was obvious that something is seriously wrong with the effort of many players.

Our movement out of the D50 more resembles St Kilda. No more up the guts. It's a kick to a player near the boundary about 30m from goal, then a long bomb down the line. Awesome tactics Adam. Boring as bats poo and allowed the Bulldogs players to set up on each and every occasion.

There continues to be a massive disconnect between the halfback line and the mids (who apart from centre clearances were again smashed). Briggs had a much better game, but his good work was not matched by those around him.

Jesse Hogan - the only standout.
TFG - better, but still doing too much and getting caught.
Taylor, Buckley and Idun can only do so much.

We have a whole heap of slackers and by the look of it, Kingsley's only game plan, the Tsunami, has been figured out and defeated.

Worst game and performance I can remember. Teams have found kryptonite for our game plan!
Every player is out of form except Hogan. Basic skills worst than we've ever been. Poor decisions. Getting killed in clearances. Mids are terrible. At least 6 should be dropped for next week, enough is enough.
Kingers should be like "Bring your mouth guards to training this week boys!

But... Richmond getting pumped by over 100 pts eases the pain!

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Conditions from a spectator view were atrocious, absolutely freezing.

Windchill cut through you and it was just wet enough to add to the misery. Plenty of blankets and oodies seen about.

For all the rain that fell, it only added up to about a mm in the Olympic Park gauge.

Didn't occur to me at the time, that the member turnout in our area looks like it was offset by suppressed turnout in the other areas of the stadium or people avoiding being in the rain/close to the dripline.
Yeah I chickened out. Wind was very strong around midday.

Yeah I chickened out. Wind was very strong around midday.

I imagine fair few others did the same. Trains weren't running on the T1 Western Line, busses from the west right up to Parramatta. Coupled with the weather probably suppressed turnout.

Got rained on walking to the stadium. I was absolutely freezing, beanie and scarf weren't enough. Will be dressing better.

No games at SOP for a month. Joy. Keen to get back to the stadium with some regularity after this last stretch of absence.

Probably not at the stage where I can give a deep dive analysis like some other posters here. I knew the majority of rules off by heart by seasons start and a few of the ones I wasn't 100% with calling (HTB was a big one which I couldn't call with any accuracy at seasons start) is much better now. I can give a running commentary, if need be, lol.

I can see what part of the game is or isn't working. Could probably give a basic analysis at this stage in general chatter. Hopefully by next season will be able to contribute with some analysis. :)

Injury and suspension + lack of Plan B.

Ageing midfield is a big worry. Eventually they will need to be moved on within 3 years.

Free agency will need to be utilised well. TBH, Sydney is a great place for players on big bucks, less scrutiny and better weather, today excepted.

B- Idun Buckley Haynes
HB- Himmleberg Taylor Whitfield
C- Callaghan Perryman Peatling
HF- Daniels Riccardi Bedford
F- Greene Hogan Gruzweski
FOLL- Briggs Coniglio Green
I/C- Ward, Fahey, Thomas, Rowston
Sub- XOH

We have seats down near the interchange (just in front of dlanod actually) but tonight it would have been out in the rain, so we were up in the second tier of the Vincent Fairfax stand which was opened especially because it was raining to allow members to head up there & be dry. That section was pretty full.

we aren’t full time Sydney thoUgh
And with home crowds like yesterday’s and North Melbourne unlikely to be. Anyway, the current contract to play 3 games at our Manuka home ground (with an option of a 4th if parties agree) expires in 2032 - there is another 8 years still left.

And with home crowds like yesterday’s and North Melbourne unlikely to be. Anyway, the current contract to play 3 games at our Manuka home ground (with an option of a 4th if parties agree) expires in 2032 - there is another 8 years still left.
Don’t blame them. I love the club, suckered me in from the beginning, but Western Sydney won’t buy into a part time team.
If a parochial region already in love with the game needs a full time team then you don’t think a parochial, and extremely large, region that the sport wants to love the game needs a full time team?
It was a 20 year plan and being part time will make it a 50 year one if ever.

Comparing it to Canberra is rubbish as it’s Aussie Rules heartland and four hours away from Victoria. The crowds I’ve seen there haven’t exactly even been all orange. More fans of other clubs wanting to see some footy.

Canberra is an easy sell but no long term reward.
Western Sydney is the hard sell but a phenomenal long term reward if they get it right.

Last edited:
Don’t blame them. I love the club, suckers me in from the beginning, but Western Sydney won’t buy into a part time team.
If a parochial region already in love with the game needs a full time team then you don’t think a prodigal, and extremely large, region that the sport wants to love the game needs a full time team.
It was a 20 year plan and being part time will make it a 50 year one if ever.

Comparing it to Canberra is rubbish as it’s Aussie Rules heartland and four hours away from Victoria. The crowds I’ve seen there haven’t exactly even all orange. More fans of other clubs wanting to see some love footy.

Canberra is an easy sell but no long term reward.
Western Sydney is the hard sell but a phenomenal long term reward if they get it right.
I respect your opinions but disagree on this one. There are other threads including the GWS in Canberra thread and the 20th team location threads, so don’t want to hijack this post mortem of the game thread. Giants have continued to state that they are also Canberra’s AFL team, and that they have 2 home grounds. Giants will have a 21 year relationship with Canberra (by far the longest involvement by any AFL club in Canberra) by the time this contract with the ACT Government expires in 2032, and this long term relationship has been good for the club and Canberra. I would think that this contract will be extended, unless the Giants sell out home games in Giants Stadium consistently/ Canberra gets a full time AFL team.

Injury and suspension + lack of Plan B.

Ageing midfield is a big worry. Eventually they will need to be moved on within 3 years.

Free agency will need to be utilised well. TBH, Sydney is a great place for players on big bucks, less scrutiny and better weather, today excepted.
We needed to try to get a really high pick this year, or last year try to get both Cadman and Bailey Humphrey. Probably impossible.
AFL does need to help more I feel.
Our zone is basically not as good as the Swans in my view, I think it needs evening up but I doubt the Swans see it that way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back