Player Watch Reilly O'Brien

Remove this Banner Ad

ROB will never be that classic tap ruck but if he can be a Mumford style competitive beast and make life uncomfortable for the opposition at clearances, and then get to work around the ground and in the air, I’ll take that!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

ROB got a profile piece on the AFL site ahead of the Showdown: Hidden talents: Crows giant could be smartest man in footy

Comes across like he has a pretty grounded sense of himself as a player. Thought this was funny:

"I've always tried to be the hardest working player at the club and the hardest working player in the league, really. I've always prided myself on everything I do off the field.

"If I drop off in form, I always come back to my work rate, off-field and on-field, and my grunt and competitiveness. They are my two cornerstones; if I lose them, I am s**t, I am not a good player. I always need to maintain those two things to play in the AFL."

I like the way that he gains position by manoeuvering an opponent with his frame and then under no pressure, drops the mark. I can't believe I keep falling for it and thinking this time he'll mark it
Because he usually does takes those marks as he has done this year where he has shown some of his 2020 form.

Can someone explain why O’Brien hovers about 20 metres behind the ruck contest when Tex takes the forward rucks? Does he think he’ll get on the end of a chain of handballs and snap a goal? Why isn’t he playing a kick behind play?

Not only is he dropping marks, but he’s not putting himself into positions to mark the ball in the first place.

Zero marks vs Brisbane
Zero marks tonight
Two marks vs Gold Coast

Useless at ground level

He's playing ruckball, not football. Doc moulding him in his own image
Zero also vs GWS in Rd 18, he’s taken 10 marks in the last 6 weeks. But he’s improved this year averaging 2.8 marks per game compared to 2.7 last year…

Also have to question the coaching instructions given to him that meant he didn’t go with Hickey when Hickey was allowed to just continually drop into the hole in the Crows forward 50 in front of all the Crows forwards, what hope did the forwards have with Hickey there by himself coupled with Blakey already basically running around all by himself in the Crows forward 50 as well?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When was the last time Grundy had a good game though? He's an upgrade though on ROB, but not the Grundy midfielder of old.
I dare say if he's given a clear #1 spot he'll bounce back to his best.

Still not a great tap ruckman or even a huge marking presence but he'll certainly get involved around the ground.

Grundy was pretty good when Gawn was out injured wasn’t he?

Hopefully we ask the question and can get a couple of good years out of him while we develop a young ruckman as well.

Or at least we can dream of this scenario.

Must have got his hands too - and dropped - 10-15 marks last night.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I've been a staunch critic of ROB .....he has great games, but you can't trust him ......I've said he'll throw in a stinker in a Final ....last night was a Final

tumblr_me3vm1DRDm1qhszhwo1_500.gif

I bloody well hope not...go to the draft, this is the best draft for rucks in long time and apart from Ethan Reid all the others should be available to us with our range of picks.
No short term fixes, draft for the future.
Huh? We can do both. Bring in a quality ruck now, with the developing ruck ready to take over when Grundy retires.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back