Player Watch Reilly O'Brien

Remove this Banner Ad

ROB destroyed him in the Internal trial at the start of the year
That's when our teams are picked

Say what you will about ROB but he knows the system

I truly hope we select Strachan soon though against Carlton who have no established rucks with Pittonet out whoever rucks will be coming up against young forward/ruck Tom De Koning and Jack Silvagni so it should be an easy assignment by AFL standards.

I want to see what he's got too even though I have real doubts he'll be the Messiah some seem to think he'll be.

If nothing else it would send a message to ROB that we want a lift from him.

I truly hope we select Strachan soon though against Carlton who have no established rucks with Pittonet out whoever rucks will be coming up against young forward/ruck Tom De Koning and Jack Silvagni so it should be an easy assignment by AFL standards.

I want to see what he's got too even though I have real doubts he'll be the Messiah some seem to think he'll be.

If nothing else it would send a message to ROB that we want a lift from him.

Pretty sure from interviews in past few weeks that ROB has been told he's not playing to the level but he escapes being dropped. If I was Strachan no matter what happens now i would be moving to another club end of the year, he should of been given more opportunity at this point considering how consistently s**t ROB has been.

Pretty sure from interviews in past few weeks that ROB has been told he's not playing to the level but he escapes being dropped. If I was Strachan no matter what happens now i would be moving to another club end of the year, he should of been given more opportunity at this point considering how consistently s**t ROB has been.
The last thing you want to be in the AFL system is a backup ruck at the AFC.

Last edited:
ruck-jpg.1582541

Who was the last genuine elite Ruck to win a flag?

Dean Cox?

The midfield as a whole is more important than an elite midfield.

Being spoon-fed in Ruck can also make mids lazy. In our development phase RoB is probably ideal as our young mids (if they ever get decent midfield time) will learn how to win a contest without being spoon fed.

Premiership history suggests that kind of midfield has more success.

I understand the logic/theory that an elite Ruck makes it easier for the midfield. Which leads to success. And somewhat agree it should.

But it does not seem to work that way.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
So ROB is not actually a s**t ruck but a valuable teacher of midfield standards? That's a glass is half full take if ever I've seen one.

This actually highlights well his effectiveness:
  • middle rung tap ruckman (from the chart above)
  • meanwhile, poor forward craft and poor effectiveness as a forward entry kick into the forward zone (from general observations).

Pretty much most the other ruckmen in the league that are lesser tap rucks, but they can mostly all kick better and more imposing around goals. Rob really needs to add more dimensions to his game, particularly around forward of center.

This actually highlights well his effectiveness:
  • middle rung tap ruckman (from the chart above)
  • meanwhile, poor forward craft and poor effectiveness as a forward entry kick into the forward zone (from general observations).

Pretty much most the other ruckmen in the league that are lesser tap rucks, but they can mostly all kick better and more imposing around goals. Rob really needs to add more dimensions to his game, particularly around forward of center.
Plays his most effective football outside of his ruckwork/follow up playing sitting a kick behind play where he was very effective.....that seemed to be very different from the role he was playing in 2022.....looked like a coaching directive to my eye, a failed move IMO.

Plays his most effective football outside of his ruckwork/follow up playing sitting a kick behind play where he was very effective.....that seemed to be very different from the role he was playing in 2022.....looked like a coaching directive to my eye, a failed move IMO.
I didn't understand why he was close to the play when not taking the ruck, rather than being a kick behind the play. Strange coaching set-up.

Needs to hold more of his marks if he is going to get back to his best.

I didn't understand why he was close to the play when not taking the ruck, rather than being a kick behind the play. Strange coaching set-up.

Needs to hold more of his marks if he is going to get back to his best.

i first noticed that 2 or 3 years ago, definitely not just a 2022 thing. It's literally no man's land. The only way that spot could be of value is if you had a strategy to get the ball out of the stoppage backwards by hand. And even if we did that, why the heck would we be wanting to release the ball to ROB to execute forward by foot? But that's irrelevant as we don't have a strategy to work the ball back by hand, so he stands in total no man's land. And it simply must be a coaching direction because it's been happening for 2 or 3 seasons.

It’s worse when Tex is taking the ruck in the forward line, many times ROB is just standing there. Surely that’s the time he should be a kick behind play so we can pump the ball back in?

This is just another example of why we shouldn’t just “support” the coaches because they are the coaches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s worse when Tex is taking the ruck in the forward line, many times ROB is just standing there. Surely that’s the time he should be a kick behind play so we can pump the ball back in?

This is just another example of why we shouldn’t just “support” the coaches because they are the coaches.

that and him getting ahead of the ball and competing in the air with our other forwards. He doesn't clunk them, he's s**t forward of the ball. But he kicked a handful in the probables v possibles demolition once. So we keep persisting agsinst actual AFL standard competition. And we keep failing.

i first noticed that 2 or 3 years ago, definitely not just a 2022 thing. It's literally no man's land. The only way that spot could be of value is if you had a strategy to get the ball out of the stoppage backwards by hand. And even if we did that, why the * would we be wanting to release the ball to ROB to execute forward by foot? But that's irrelevant as we don't have a strategy to work the ball back by hand, so he stands in total no man's land. And it simply must be a coaching direction because it's been happening for 2 or 3 seasons.
If there was a single competent football journalist in the state it would be interesting to hear Nicks answer this question

that and him getting ahead of the ball and competing in the air with our other forwards. He doesn't clunk them, he's s**t forward of the ball. But he kicked a handful in the probables v possibles demolition once. So we keep persisting agsinst actual AFL standard competition. And we keep failing.
Also he's one of the worst kicks for goal in the entire league

He's great a kick behind play. That's his limit and is what he should focus on.

We've been trying to expand his game I guess but I don't think he's the skilful type to add strings. He's a line and length merchant. KISS.

Also he's one of the worst kicks for goal in the entire league

He's great a kick behind play. That's his limit and is what he should focus on.

We've been trying to expand his game I guess but I don't think he's the skilful type to add strings. He's a line and length merchant. KISS.

get him focussing on being a beast when the ball hits the deck in the stoppage again. It's almost like we decided we needed a ruckman with some class, so tried to reinvent the guy. About the only time he played with ground ball intensity last year was the 2 games following his dropping.

It's almost like O'Brien is running to get to the forward stoppage but doesn't get there in time so Tex takes it and O'Brien is left stranded just outside the pack.

Horrible strategy if it is deliberate

even if that was true, which it isn't because I've seen him remain in that position at a repeat stoppage, he should start working back into correct position as soon as Tex gives him the sign that he's taking the ruck. But again, it's not by accident because he's remained there for repeat stoppages. It's 100% deliberate strategy.

even if that was true, which it isn't because I've seen him remain in that position at a repeat stoppage, he should start working back into correct position as soon as Tex gives him the sign that he's taking the ruck. But again, it's not by accident because he's remained there for repeat stoppages. It's 100% deliberate strategy.
Yep it's deliberate, it's just so dumb it looks like it's a mistake

Yep it's deliberate, it's just so dumb it looks like it's a mistake

even ignoring the stupidity of designing and an entire coaching group agreeing with the strategy, surely they've worked out grom game day experience hes never impacted the game from there. Obviously they're stupid for trying it, but it's unfathomable that they persist.

I lost my s**t when he spoiled Rachele from taking a mark 40m out in one of our games.

Maybe our forward line coach doesn't want ROB in there rucking or being a marking option

And our defensive coach doesn't want him gumming up the structure or turning it over down back

So he has to stand in no man's land

Maybe our forward line coach doesn't want ROB in there rucking or being a marking option

And our defensive coach doesn't want him gumming up the structure or turning it over down back

So he has to stand in no man's land

In reality there’s only one reasonable explanation. After watching Hawkins bench press rucking opponents and thenkick or set up goals, we figured Tex could have a crack. Which he did and it worked well and is still a decent weapon. But we haven’t progressed the strategy to include what ROB does when Tex is going to do this. I reckon ROB is doing the right thing because Tex doesn’t always take the contest, so ROB is on his way and stops when Tex gives the signal. But if my u15 coach saw me standing there he’d have dragged me and then ripped me a new one. It’s called spectating and you’re of no use to anyone when doing it.

They need to keep it simple, if TT or Tex are on the ground then ROB doesn’t take forward 40 ruck contests and must remain 40-50m behind the ball. But Doc is a terrible coach. Ignore AFLW, those flags were due to a fledgling comp and 2 unbelievable players. Now that the comp is maturing, Clarke is being found out for the truely awful coach that he is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back