Player Watch Reilly O'Brien

Remove this Banner Ad

Right now it’s as simple as this from my perspective:
  • for us to be a genuine threat, the ruckman needs to have versatility in both defence and in attack.
  • ROB has shown competency in the defensive end, but still lacking in the forward end. If he still can’t get his kicking boots on up forward, then effectively we’re one short in the forward rotation.

It's almost like O'Brien is running to get to the forward stoppage but doesn't get there in time so Tex takes it and O'Brien is left stranded just outside the pack.

Horrible strategy if it is deliberate
I think it's a solid strategy:
  • I'd be a more useful ruckman in the forward line and with the ball kicking for goal than Rob (and I am a 4'11" 68 year old vietnamese woman).
  • Literally every time the commentators mention that Tex is dangerous around ruck contests his opponent forgets they are a ruckman, and Tex shoves them out the way, catches the ball and snaps a goal.

It's win win.

Where the heck was this Reilly O'Brien last year?

Did he get swapped out for a dud twin or something?

The contested marking is back

Pizza Happy Crying GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a poor moment with SPP’s opening goal, where he comes across the goal line not from behind it, could have easily spoiled or marked it, after that he was awesome.
Got his contested marking back which is his 1 wood.

Was less predictable with his tap work including knocking the ball forward & collecting it himself.

This should be more like the standard he sets himself & no one will complain.

We all know ROB can play. At one time he was one of the most inform rucks in the comp and he was the reason we didn't need to go after Grundy.
You don't lose talent. You can lose confidence, and it's the coaching staffs job to get him back up.
So we all agree he is a good player now?

We all know ROB can play. At one time he was one of the most inform rucks in the comp and he was the reason we didn't need to go after Grundy.
You don't lose talent. You can lose confidence, and it's the coaching staffs job to get him back up.

A good player, yes. But not an A grader, and is very much exploitable by the sides that do have an A grader ruck.

Still, he's far from the biggest priority to replace. For now we should either wait for a ruck to fall into our laps via a trade, or else invest a late pick into a rookie ruck and cross our fingers.

2019 he was good and 2020 amazing right? (2020 was his B&F?)

But I also know 2020 was a contract year.

For a second I thought ROB may be having a contract year where he plays amazing for the next contract. Nup, runs out end of 2025.

Keep this form up and he can win another B&F

2019 he was good and 2020 amazing right? (2020 was his B&F?)

But I also know 2020 was a contract year.

For a second I thought ROB may be having a contract year where he plays amazing for the next contract. Nup, runs out end of 2025.

Keep this form up and he can win another B&F
2020 club champion, 5th in 21.
People have short memories, but he was poor in 22.

A good player, yes. But not an A grader, and is very much exploitable by the sides that do have an A grader ruck.

Still, he's far from the biggest priority to replace. For now we should either wait for a ruck to fall into our laps via a trade, or else invest a late pick into a rookie ruck and cross our fingers.
All he has to do is play to his strengths. Contested marking, clearing space for our mids, laying tackles.

Tap
All he has to do is play to his strengths. Contested marking, clearing space for our mids, laying tackles.
Don't forget tapping it to the opposition at every opportunity..

I'm not the biggest ROB fan, but can't fault his effort. That was his best game in a long time.

Which isn't a complicated game plan but somehow he can't consistently find that form in 2020, despite having a very poor season he showed his 2020 form in a few games last year as well.

Yep, was incredibly influential even though he wasn’t near dominant from a tap ruckman perspective

If he can provide that aerial presence and show those 2nd and 3rd efforts at the clearances weekly, he’s a mainstay

Where the * was this Reilly O'Brien last year?

Did he get swapped out for a dud twin or something?

just shows the reduced effort and intensity levels that we allow the more senior players to deliver. Even if the next man up is going to deliver lesser output, it needs to be drummed into these guys that going through the motions is unacceptable. And the only way to do that is to have playing 2s as a genuine threat. He played the same against the Cats last year but then eased up again and coasted to the season conclusion.

He looks like he's moving around the ground better this year. Seems to have his two way running back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back