Player Watch Reilly O'Brien

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a major liability, would we be one of the only clubs without a developing ruck? Ignoring Strachan who will be 28 next year..
I've been thinking the same but then I'm wondering if the plan was to eventually turn RT into our main ruckman. Pick 2 on a ruckman. It wouldn't surprise me that our football department would consider doing this.

Would love them to give T Murray some serious ruck time at SANFL level to see how he goes. They clearly don’t rate Strachan as anything other than backup plus they don’t like drafting any ruckman either so maybe try something else?

O'Brien has been okay in the stoppages. Not special, but okay. Passable.

The real problem is that our entire gameplan seems to hinge on bombing it long to him every time we get the ball in the back half of the ground, and he simply cannot take a contested mark. Every now and then his opponent misreads the ball and he gets to stroll in for an uncontested mark, but most of the time he either gets spoiled, or just fails to even make the contest and lets his opponent stroll in for an easy mark. And if the ball spills to the ground near him he is a total non-factor.

We haven't updated our gameplan in this regard since Sam Jacobs was actually effective in it, and that's almost a decade ago.

The issue I have with RoBs Ruck craft is that he is so unpredictable, with minimal control of the tap.

Nothing wrong with being unpredictable. Being about to tap around the clock is a good trait. However, you need to be able to direct the ball to a mid.

And yeah he might have nice Hit out to advantage stat, but you can get that with hitting a team mate.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Which article?

Would like to see how he is rated for contested marking...
Was some Soldo article showing that he's the best.

I remember Gawn, English were in the 2-4 range. While Grundy was #6.

I think people underestimate how average other teams ruck are. ROB isn't our best player but he'd be in the top half of rucks. The only elite ones really are Grundy, Max, english, Marshall..anyone else?

O'Brien has been okay in the stoppages. Not special, but okay. Passable.

The real problem is that our entire gameplan seems to hinge on bombing it long to him every time we get the ball in the back half of the ground, and he simply cannot take a contested mark. Every now and then his opponent misreads the ball and he gets to stroll in for an uncontested mark, but most of the time he either gets spoiled, or just fails to even make the contest and lets his opponent stroll in for an easy mark. And if the ball spills to the ground near him he is a total non-factor.

We haven't updated our gameplan in this regard since Sam Jacobs was actually effective in it, and that's almost a decade ago.
Doesn't help that a lot of rucks are a lot more athletic nowadays, so even if he gets hands up for it, he barely jumps over a tally-ho paper most days, so even with the height he's easy enough to spoil.

Was some Soldo article showing that he's the best.

I remember Gawn, English were in the 2-4 range. While Grundy was #6.
Not sure how a ruckman who can't take a mark to save himself can be top-5 ruckman in the AFL.

Nowhere near top 5 imo.

Ruckman I would rate higher not in order...

Gawn
English
Nankervis
McInnerney
Briggs
Soldo
Marshall
Jackson
Witts
Grundy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how a ruckman who can't take a mark to save himself can be top-5 ruckman in the AFL.

Nowhere near top 5 imo.

Gawn
English
Nankervis
McInnerney
Briggs
Soldo
Marshall
Jackson
Witts
Grundy
Jackson and Darcy at Freo?

Nowhere near top 5 imo.

Gawn
English
Nankervis
McInnerney
Briggs
Soldo
Marshall
Jackson
Witts
Grundy

Just goes to show how pointless the hit out stat is in isolation. Most would select a dozen rucks ahead of him easily.

The problem is, we don't want him to get involved in the play because his disposal is so dreadful.

I could go to the pub and get a beer while waiting for the ball to hit his boot. If he doesn't get smothered or knocked off it, the ball goes about 20 metres.

But we better keep up his continuity because he thrives off a high workload.

If people are saying yesterday was a walk in the park and criticising players on output then we need to also include Reilly

14 disposals and less hitouts than the previous 4 weeks makes it a game you can ask the question

Round 7​
Apr 27​
7​
7​
14​
4​
0​
0​
5​
37​
0​
0​
2​
7​
1​
1​
3​
96​
77​
Round 6​
Apr 19​
5​
6​
11​
2​
0​
0​
5​
38​
0​
0​
5​
8​
1​
1​
3​
83​
88​
Round 5​
Apr 13​
3​
8​
11​
3​
0​
0​
5​
38​
0​
1​
4​
5​
1​
1​
2​
87​
99​
Round 4​
Apr 4​
6​
4​
10​
0​
0​
0​
3​
39​
0​
3​
5​
0​
0​
0​
0​
77​
62​
Round 3​
Mar 29​
2​
5​
7​
3​
0​
0​
2​
33​
0​
1​
1​
5​
1​
0​
3​
57​
60​
Round 2​
Mar 22​
Cats
10​
8​
18​
0​
1​
0​
1​
47​
1​
2​
9​
10​
0​
2​
1​
102​
116​
Round 1​
Mar 16​
Suns
9​
1​
10​
1​
0​
0​
3​
45​
0​
3​
4​
2​
0​
0​
1​
86​
75​

Nowhere near top 5 imo.

Gawn
English
Nankervis
McInnerney
Briggs
Soldo
Marshall
Jackson
Witts
Grundy
I would consider adding Trent Ormond-Allen to this list...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back