Toast Reasons for Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

Let’s just agree to disagree then, as he’s top of my Wishlist, if he wasn’t contracted for 4 years I’d be throwing everything at getting him into the team.
when you MOST disliked player joins your team, it would be very hard to accept

We need pure class like Warner to match Brayshaw, Young, Jackson and Serong. Someone like Bolton 'just doesn't fit'.

Bolton would mess up our culture
I've heard or read nothing to make me think that would be the case. What have you heard or read that makes you think that? For what its worth there are rumours that Richmond might be interested in trading the contracted Dustin Martin to GC too. That makes me think they could be looking at going into full blown rebuild mode in the years before the draft becomes highly compromised with the likely draft concessions and pick compensation that will come as a result of the new Tasmanian team.

I also think we might have a massive draft asset to offer in Hugh Davies that (when combined with picks) could help get a Baker and Bolton deal done. Davies has been fantastic for Peel so far this year and despite the fact he is contracted there could be a lot of interest from rival clubs if he continues to play well without getting a game at afl level. Obviously Hugh would also have to want a trade but he'd be crazy to refuse a good offer from a rival club where he'd be highly likely to be playing at afl level every week at a team needing a tall backmen like Richmond does. Watching Hugh (albeit online) so far this WAFL season his improvement has been staggering with his ability to judge the drop of the ball when in marking contests exceptional for a young tall back.

I've heard or read nothing to make me think that would be the case. What have you heard or read that makes you think that? For what its worth there are rumours that Richmond might be interested in trading the contracted Dustin Martin to GC too. That makes me think they could be looking at going into full blown rebuild mode in the years before the draft becomes highly compromised with the likely draft concessions and pick compensation that will come as a result of the new Tasmanian team.

I also think we might have a massive draft asset to offer in Hugh Davies that (when combined with picks) could help get a Baker and Bolton deal done. Davies has been fantastic for Peel so far this year and despite the fact he is contracted there could be a lot of interest from rival clubs if he continues to play well without getting a game at afl level. Obviously Hugh would also have to want a trade but he'd be crazy to refuse a good offer from a rival club where he'd be highly likely to be playing at afl level every week at a team needing a tall backmen like Richmond does. Watching Hugh (albeit online) so far this WAFL season his improvement has been staggering with his ability to judge the drop of the ball when in marking contests exceptional for a young tall back.
Martin should just retire - he's done

Our team is building beautifully, so would be a shame to blow our assets on older players. The fact we can debate this shows the club has a lot of options.

nah, he's a dick who plays for himself - we've gotten rid of those from the club

I would prefer to see our futures from Peel get that opportunity

He's far better than all those Peel players. Just because someone doesn't fit your mold doesn't mean they are selfish. He knows when to have a shot and when to pass it off. He's a forward of course he's going to be goal hungry

He's far better than all those Peel players. Just because someone doesn't fit your mold doesn't mean they are selfish. He knows when to have a shot and when to pass it off. He's a forward of course he's going to be goal hungry
To say he is exactly what we need is a massive understatement. Bolton's currently equal 4th on the goal kicking list with 14 goals and 6 behinds. In all honesty anyone with his goal kicking ability should be a bit selfish near goal and back themselves. Baker's also an absolute gun with fantastic clean skills. I think its time to go all in next trade season. To get Bolton we would have to give up a ton (he is contracted) but we'd be Premiership contenders if we could get him and Baker for draft picks. Id trade our future first and the Port pick to get a top 8 pick and then add the two other first rounders to the trade with a ton of later picks coming back. Basically trading all that would seem too much by many I know but Walls is great with 2nd to 4th round picks and in my opinion its time to go all in for a premiership. With Baker and Bolton at the club this is what our best 22 + sub could look like in 2025.

B: Ryan Pearce Clark
HB: Aish Cox Walker
C: Chapman Serong Sharp
R: Darcy Brayshaw Young
HF Baker Treacy Freddy
FF: Bolton Amiss Jackson

I/C Switta Fyfe Draper Simpson
Sub Johnson (for fyfe unless we get an injury)
Baker to spend equal time high half forward and wing.50/50
Cox to spend some time forward when Jackson is rucking meaning we have three tall forwards for the whole game with Darcy also spending a bit of time forward. Obviously Draper plays on the second tall when Cox is forward.
Chapman to rotate 50/50 back and wing.
Simpson and Freddy to play wing and half forward. We need more outside pace in our midfield.Baker, Freddy and Simpson rotating there does that.
Bolton to rotate in the centre square for brief periods when we need more pace at centre clearances would also be a massive positive for the team.
That looks like a very versatile line-up with a ton of speed that can contend for a premiership to me.

Last edited:
To say he is exactly what we need is a massive understatement. Bolton's currently equal 4th on the goal kicking list with 14 goals and 6 behinds. In all honesty anyone with his goal kicking ability should be a bit selfish near goal and back themselves. Baker's also an absolute gun with fantastic clean skills. I think its time to go all in next trade season. To get Bolton we would have to give up a ton (he is contracted) but we'd be Premiership contenders if we could get him and Baker for draft picks. Id trade our future first and the Port pick to get a top 8 pick and then add the two other first rounders to the trade with a ton of later picks coming back. Basically trading all that would seem too much by many I know but Walls is great with 2nd to 4th round picks and in my opinion its time to go all in for a premiership. With Baker and Bolton at the club this is what our best 22 + sub could look like in 2025.

HF Baker Treacy Freddy

Cox to spend some time forward when Jackson is rucking meaning we have three tall forwards for the whole game with Darcy also spending a bit of time forward. Obviously Draper plays on the second tall when Cox is forward.
Simpson and Freddy to play wing and half forward. We need more outside pace in our midfield.Baker, Freddy and Simpson rotating there does that.
Bolton to rotate in the centre square for brief periods when we need more pace at centre clearances would also be a massive positive for the team.
That looks like a very versatile line-up with a ton of speed that can contend for a premiership to me.

Almost perfect

I doubt Bolton wants to play for Freo seeing he's contracted but I wouldn't be opposed to it at all.

HF Baker Treacy Freddy

I love this, however don’t think we’d need to use all 4 1st round picks to get Bolton and Baker, the port pick should be enough for baker (before eagles 2nd rounder) and a top 10 pick (pies) plus a teens pick (ours) should be enough for Bolton (even contracted)

I'd probably ease up on the Bolton thirst. Absolutely no inclination from anywhere that he is available.

We'll get all worked up over nothing and then be disappointed when the inevitable happens and he stays at the Tigers.
I think it was as response to the ignorant posts about his character as a player than any serious thought he would be coming to Freo.

I'm reasonably optimistic this thread will go back to the standalone post sugar rushes of yore, without devolving into the trade/fa thread again. 🙏
I hope so - I was losing optimism and felt like my parents were inviting an ex boyfriend to Christmas lunch lol

Here's some positivity

If Cox and Chapman never injured themselves we would have probably not unearthed this hidden gem. Cat B rookie playing like a 50 gamer with such great reflexes and a high football IQ. Sure he still makes the odd mistake but he could well hold down the opposition talls for the next decade.

He will get physically stronger too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was as response to the ignorant posts about his character as a player than any serious thought he would be coming to Freo.
Wait he's not coming to Fremantle? I think getting optimistic about how we would look with just a couple of key additions is in line with the purpose of this thread but I'll stay away from trade suggestions from now on.

Wait he's not coming to Fremantle? I think getting optimistic about how we would look with just a couple of key additions is in line with the purpose of this thread but I'll stay away from trade suggestions from now on.

What are your thoughts on Draper playing third tall when Cox isn't injured.

Draper Pearce Ryan
Clark Cox Chapman

With Aish and Walker rotating through. Almost looks like a premiership backline to me.

Draper Pearce Ryan
Clark Cox Chapman

With Aish and Walker rotating through. Almost looks like a premiership backline to me.

It’s a yes from me, walker off the bench as the 7th

Our core midfield is ******* awesome. One of Young, Serong and Brayshaw are having a large say in whether we win the game every week. They are all different and all compliment each other.

Walker and Clark are playing career best footy and Ryan and Pearce are close to actual superstars. Luke Ryan is actually possessed this year

We literally have the best group of tall forwards we’ve ever had in triple Js but we just need them to be 25.

We are two quality players under 190cm short in the forward line from being an utter powerhouse and we have a lot of cap space and 3 1st round picks to make it happen
If that doesn’t get you all gooey in the forks I don’t know what will.

Draper Pearce Ryan
Clark Cox Chapman

Too many backs with Aish and walker, it would release Chapman to a wing role though, if that’s what they want to do.

Draper Pearce Ryan
Clark Cox Chapman

Looks good but I don't think will work every week - depends on the match ups.

I'd probably ease up on the Bolton thirst. Absolutely no inclination from anywhere that he is available.

We'll get all worked up over nothing and then be disappointed when the inevitable happens and he stays at the Tigers.
The thing is that Richmond obviously would need to want to engage at the trade table. Currently Richmond would still consider their season alive so there's no way they'd be planning a rebuild. If they struggle and hink they need to go for a big rebuild then that's when Bolton comes into play. It's often the case that when contracted players who get traded that the media only becomes aware of the possible trade later in the year or even just before the trade season starts like with O'Meara and Shultz.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back