Toast Reasons for Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

Love the changes this week. Tabs has played his role and kicked goals as an injury backup. Valuable to both the team and our structure. Switta out, sadly to protocols means Sturt gets a look in. At his best last season he was good for a goal and great delivery to the lead. Both things our front half needs.

Most importantly we will see Darcy back and over the next few weeks build his time in the ruck. Not only will he wear on other rucks and be a presence in contests around the ground, he frees Jackson to dominate.

It also gives him a week to blow some cobwebs out before coming up against English. This season is looking so good for us in so many ways. It is far better for us to have Darcy build fitness in his first hit out against the scum then the dogs.

I can't wait to see how we go through the next 5 rounds. Our record will have us 4th or 5th. What a time to be on the ride!!

IF we win the derby, I will have a lot of faith

We will win this week. Richmond are in the bottom rung of teams, especially without Lynch.

There isn't an area of the ground that we should lose in. Unless we turn up asleep, which I think this team has grown past. We will see.

On top of an already thoroughly enjoyable season the mail is the draft is deep this year.

Remember the down moments make the wins sweeter. That we are at the beginning of a special journey here. That you can look across every line of our team and find reasons for great hope. And now we know that we not only have great trade capital, but, that if we go to the draft we should find quality.

Come on Freo! LFG!!!

Last edited:
St. Kilda very generously going to give us a nice 2nd round pick by fairly demoting themselves to a rabble under Ross.

Ta very much fellas! :D
Don't forget the very handy 4th rounder from the Saints (also from the Henry trade)
that will likely be earlier than we expected. Basically at the moment we've moved up our 4th rounder significantly by exchanging 4th rounders with the saints as part of the Henry trade.

Only a year ago Hugh Davies was playing a few wafl reserves games. He has improved massively.
If Davies can keep developing, and Draper build off his first game or two, we might just have some backline depth for that period when Moose and Lukey get to the slide down. Can never have too many young key backmen, so hard to pick which ones will develop well from u18s and which ones are going to stagnate...

I will need to avoid this thread for awhile sadly

My first thought is fair enough. My second and third thoughts are:

Thinking about something from a positive perspective, rather than negative, is often more useful and healthy than alternatives.

Thirdly... After a demoralising loss, I am starting to see the sun peaking through the clouds of despair.

This is going to be one hell of a ride! What makes the highs so enjoyable are the lows. They are required to fully appreciate highs. In some ways it allows us to be thankful for the lows. As not only do they provide learning opportunities, without them, highs are meaningless.

Don’t have to worry about football again this season! 👍

<sigh>

I get it... and I still think we should expect one hell of a ride this year. Hell being an apt word for the weekend!

I am looking forward to this weekend. I can't wait to see how the team respond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Changes.

If he doesn’t change the make up I’ll go spare

Yep! It has been obviously wrong even to fans like us.

JOM and Walters on the outside with no pace doesn't work. We can't carry them. Add in a forced change with Amiss, plus Chappy into the side means 4 changes at a minimum.

If they drop Ras and Johnson and do the predictable safe thing, keeping JOM and Walters in the team, I will be quite angry. It would suggest we are not learning.

Sorry, can't think of any this week. Maybe this thread needs to be managed like a player ;)

Haha nah... Chappy coming back is cause for optimism!

Peel form.
Darcy having a solid first game back with some good marks and general play.

I was devastated on the weekend. Optimism is building again.

Haha nah... Chappy coming back is cause for optimism!

Peel form.
Darcy having a solid first game back with some good marks and general play.

I was devastated on the weekend. Optimism is building again.
Fair enough. But we've been here before, haven't we?! Built up just to be knocked down. If it's true the players feel 'trapped' in a style that's not natural to their instincts and it's killing their flair, I think this cycle will burn them out. I want to see J-Lo own it, admit it - change it. He has the cattle, Freo have invested in some good draft picks and players as a result. The same criticisms that were rearing their ugly head last year are back again. Too conservative, rigid; stolid in belief that an overly-defensive presence will win out games. I want to see them win games as much as anyone, but not 69-34 every week; here and there it might warrant it. But not being able to amass over 70 points for 4 weeks is deeply concerning. Apologies, I know this is the 'optimism' thread but it's hard to understand how this can be happening when it was clearly an issue last year

Positive spin. West coast beat Collingwood round 4 in 2022….they turned it around, and so can we.
Collingwood had more of the ball in that game , And from my recollection West coast kicked very straight 14.3 I think . We were soundly thrashed in quarter 2 and 3 looked like a genuine bottom 4 side . That’s the difference.

Fair enough. But we've been here before, haven't we?! Built up just to be knocked down. If it's true the players feel 'trapped' in a style that's not natural to their instincts and it's killing their flair, I think this cycle will burn them out. I want to see J-Lo own it, admit it - change it. He has the cattle, Freo have invested in some good draft picks and players as a result. The same criticisms that were rearing their ugly head last year are back again. Too conservative, rigid; stolid in belief that an overly-defensive presence will win out games. I want to see them win games as much as anyone, but not 69-34 every week; here and there it might warrant it. But not being able to amass over 70 points for 4 weeks is deeply concerning. Apologies, I know this is the 'optimism' thread but it's hard to understand how this can be happening when it was clearly an issue last year

We don't know how the players do or do not feel. Conjecture is just that when it comes to the players feelings. I am not happy we are so defensive. I also refuse to believe that one week is going to derail our entire year. We are very young and have a great spine and midfield core.

Perhaps we are as bad as everyone is saying. And perhaps we were knackered after Carlton and Port games away and played exhausted?

I still have hope for the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back