Toast Reasons for Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 1958836

Saw this in the vent thread. Personally I am so far from this as possible, these 2 losses have been frustrating but 6 weeks ago not many thought we’d be in these games. I’m content with how we’re travelling knowing there’s so much more improvement to be had.
There’s a much bigger picture to enjoy & we just have to keep learning & be diligent about who we need to bring in to take that step. We are a lot closer to the ultimate than we thought we were & theres no doubt the players are beginning to believe they can compete with & potentially beat anyone.

So much yes!

Port will be favourites at home all season. They have a midfield that is considered the best in the league. And mature players on every line. For most of the game we at least matched them and for parts were on top.

This was achieved without our first ruck. Who is also a bull in contests.

We have had Draper playing as a KPD. And he has shown he could become a very good player long term. There is no way Georgiadis pushes Cox under the ball and into Pearce for the Dixon mark. It isn’t a criticism of Draper, just a strength and experience deficit.

Walker played very well last night. His confidence is building, allowing him to show his pace and evasiveness.

If Chappy can put injury issues behind him we add another classy player into the mix. Which takes pressure off the bottom handful of players. I’m still bullish on Chapman long term.

Simpson looks like he can play at the level and hopefully we see him causing havoc up forward for long periods this year.

Finally, and I know it has been discussed. Our best mix up forward is with Luke, Josh and Jye. I can’t wait to see how they grow together through the season. Three bigs with pace, who add value up the ground and can cause mismatches across the park. A bounty of riches.

I am not sure I have ever been as positive about the clubs position as I am now.

Yes we need to manage Walters and JOM. Yes we need to improve the bottom end of the list and Switta will need to be looked at. But, the players are there. It isn’t a barren wasteland. We have the opposite and we have ridiculous capital for the trade and draft period. What a time to support this club!

Our core midfield is ******* awesome. One of Young, Serong and Brayshaw are having a large say in whether we win the game every week. They are all different and all compliment each other.

Walker and Clark are playing career best footy and Ryan and Pearce are close to actual superstars. Luke Ryan is actually possessed this year

We literally have the best group of tall forwards we’ve ever had in triple Js but we just need them to be 25.

We are two quality players under 190cm short in the forward line from being an utter powerhouse and we have a lot of cap space and 3 1st round picks to make it happen

Our core midfield is ******* awesome. One of Young, Serong and Brayshaw are having a large say in whether we win the game every week. They are all different and all compliment each other.

Walker and Clark are playing career best footy and Ryan and Pearce are close to actual superstars. Luke Ryan is actually possessed this year

We literally have the best group of tall forwards we’ve ever had in triple Js but we just need them to be 25.

We are two quality players under 190cm short in the forward line from being an utter powerhouse and we have a lot of cap space and 3 1st round picks to make it happen

Mids need to kick more goals. That’s the other improvement

Exactly. Plus we have the most exciting tall backmen prospect we've had since McPharlin in Josh Draper. Geez he was good last night against an experienced tall in Marshal. Long term if we don't get McDonald I thing Cox will be a genuine swingman which will help our forward line.

Not many backlines will be able to go with them this year. Good luck when they are 24/25.

All are fast and agile. All can mark and get the ground ball. The field kicking of Amiss and Treacy is absolute class. And anyone who can go with Jackson in the air won’t be able to go with him for pace or spread.

The big watch this year will be the chemistry building between them. Add the couple of smalls you identify and it will be ridiculous.

Re: midfield. It is almost easy to underestimate how good they are and they haven’t played 20 games in the middle as a group yet.

Agree on Pearce and Ryan. In many ways Ryan isn’t getting the recognition he should. If Stewart had that game it would have been talked about non stop. Some of the marks Ryan took last night where he used his body to shield the drop… one he turned his body and man mid air and chest marked a ball coming over his shoulder. Ridiculous.

Some calls need to be made on senior players throughout the season. Either lost position or role. I see that as a positive. As you say, three first rounders or one first rounder and a very good player will be added at the end of the year.

the umpiring has been so bad this season (all over) do we really want to make it all the way in finals to have them manipulate a decision?

That means for most of the game Treacy gets matched up on the oppositions third best tall defender.
Yep, getting a healthy Darcy back is now critical. Allowing Jackson not to have to carry the ruck burden as much and Treacy not having to really ruck at all makes a huge difference in game moments where they can focus on forward play & craft. Obviously, Jackson can roam and move the magnet around with his aerobic capacity but won't be as gassed rucking too. Darcy will be rusty but when this formation hits shape and form, it could be utterly deadly. What we really need is a Tyson Stengle type or 2 at their feet and we're cooking on volcano gas!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ohhh I hope we make finals this year, but don't think it will be The Big One - that's been ear marked for Carlton

Ah I misread the 'all the way' part of your post. I agree, we will make finals and hopefully win one this season. It is all about experience this year. From next year we give it a long sustained shake.

Woke up this morning to another stunning autumn day. No where on earth does weather like Perth. Went for an early kayak, mist rising from the river, a dolphin for company, played with the kids, chased the wife, loving life! In the midst of all the business and life stuff I am thoroughly enjoying being a Freo supporter at the minute.

I sold a business recently, and was reminded that the end is not as fun, not in a sustained manner as the journey. And what a journey we are on with our club at the minute. A bounty of draft and trade capital at the end of the year, following a season we will play finals footy. Our key forward each showing at times that they could be A grade stars long term, all while stupidly young and years from their best football. A midfield that runs both ways and can match it with any group in the competition. And in defence we have Pearce and Ryan playing out of their skin and two of our best six haven't been back there this year. Another in Walker won't hit his best form for a year and is already closing down great small forwards. Clark we got for peanuts and is becoming an A grader in front of our eyes. Then we have Draper, who looks like a long term talent after 3 games. He is two to three years from having a matured AFL frame. So a mountain of improvement to come.

Our age profile means we will give the flag a sustained shake over the next 7 years. If in that time we can make good decisions with trades and drafting we should be able to extend that further.

I was optimistic at the start of the season... The last five weeks have only added to my optimistic joy! What a time to be a Freo supporter!

At Adelaide airport waiting to board the plane home. Despite the loss, we are tracking in the right direction. Bring in Darcy, Freddy, Chappy and Cox and we a much better side that just loss by less than a kick to a “top 4 team” on their home deck.

Darcy in isn't just the addition of a top five influence player. Which is huge. We are yet to know the extent of the flow on effect he will have on Jackson and what that does to the forward line and midfield when he roams. Can not wait!

As mentioned many times over the last three years, I am bullish on Chappy. Everything crossed he can play injury free for many seasons from here.

WCE and Richmond looked like a WAFL game
I can't believe how bad Richmonds tall defender stocks are. They made Waterman look like prime Jason Dunstal. If Richmond do go into full rebuild mode I think the chances of us getting Bolton and Baker increase. I'd trade all three first rounders for them easily. As Bolton is contracted I'd even add in a future first with later picks coming back, The reason I'd trade so much is that if you add Bolton and Baker to our list we look like a premiership contender.

I can't believe how bad Richmonds tall defender stocks are. They made Waterman look like prime Jason Dunstal. If Richmond do go into full rebuild mode I think the chances of us getting Bolton and Baker increase. I'd trade all three first rounders for them easily. As Bolton is contracted I'd even add in a future first with later picks coming back, The reason I'd trade so much is that if you add Bolton and Baker to our list we look like a premiership contender.
Bolton would mess up our culture

Ok, i have to disagree then, he’s a game changer who takes on the impossible and it actually comes off half the time, as they say, you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.
nah, he's a dick who plays for himself - we've gotten rid of those from the club

I would prefer to see our futures from Peel get that opportunity

nah, he's a dick who plays for himself - we've gotten rid of those from the club

I would prefer to see our futures from Peel get that opportunity
Let’s just agree to disagree then, as he’s top of my Wishlist, if he wasn’t contracted for 4 years I’d be throwing everything at getting him into the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back