RDFL Thread 2011 (Part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to watch my first game of footy since coming back from WA. Got to say Romsey looked like a good hard working side. Very fast in close and if the backline pressure from Wallan wasnt as good as it was, Romsey could have kicked 15 more goals. Romsey kicked 20.20 so they could have kicked more.
Pink ball wasnt used. Umpires went out with it but from all reports, it was too heavy to use.
Good day at the footy (even if Wallan got beat).

hey boys, im having trouble with the RDFL website n cant find this info myself, is there a league bye on the 21st May? if so, wat is the purpose of this bye?

hey boys, im having trouble with the RDFL website n cant find this info myself, is there a league bye on the 21st May? if so, wat is the purpose of this bye?

No.. There is a split round on the 21st and 28th of May...

I wasn't thinking diggers would beat the roos but good on them.Lefty 5 goals just a class player it will be interesting to see how the kangas bounce back im sure the last couple games will concern deano but know better way to bounce back against the best.Maybe i expect to much from the sunbury lads.Could be best team in comp but can they play as a team. Just want to note out when u get quality players into your comp dnt make them leave u want to keep as many good players in the RDFL as u can.What happend to the big A should never happen thats twice now against diggers maybe its the supporters abit of piss and every1 carries on for the good of the comp i hope jamsey gets off and plays a big part to the kanga hitting back strong

Im all for a bit of banter, just as long as those who gob off would be willing to say the same things in the social club after the game or even one on one up the street if they run into such targets.

On a seperate topic, was in Diggers tonight looking at the RDFL 18s train and I must say you blokes down there deserve bonuses if you train twice a week thru the winter months . . . . . was bloody freezing!!!

If it actually happened that James hit someone and got rubbed out, that would get him de-registered wouldn't it? As he only has a week up his sleeve I think.

Iv had the pleasure of watching Jamesy at 3 different clubs (not including AFL) and played against him and with him numerous times. Its pretty sad some of the things people yell out over the fence to the big fella and if it were me I would fire up too.
I wouldnt say for sure but i'd be willing to bet money that the people that provoke him are put up to it by certain clubs and I dont care what they say or what excuses they have. Pretty easy target....:thumbsdown:

Jamesy only has his self to blame. Like the old saying goes STICKS AN STONES MAY BREAK MY BONES BUT WORDS WILL NEVER HURT ME Only have yourself to blame for the amount of money he is on surely he can block it out, s**t i would i f i was getting that coin. Sunbury are the only ones to his defence which i dont think there is any in his case. So suffer in ya JOCKS bad luck move on next please.. Good bye and farewell old son

Jamesy only has his self to blame. Like the old saying goes STICKS AN STONES MAY BREAK MY BONES BUT WORDS WILL NEVER HURT ME Only have yourself to blame for the amount of money he is on surely he can block it out, s**t i would i f i was getting that coin. Sunbury are the only ones to his defence which i dont think there is any in his case. So suffer in ya JOCKS bad luck move on next please.. Good bye and farewell old son

Thats a very narrow minded assumption... As I said, some of the things that get said to him are disgraceful and personally if i was a president i'd get rid of those idiots from the side lines. Its a clear cut case of tall poppy syndrome and im sure that ALL the clubs would be against him to save the embarrassment of him kicking 12 against you. People that have to follow a bloke from end to end and abuse him all day have no business being at the footy. And what a good example it sets from a club's point of view. I think it stinks and I hope nothing comes of it and your mickey mouse league wake up and see what is going on around the grounds instead of pointing the finger at the drop of a hat:thumbsdown:

Russell Robertson has told the Geelong Advertiser he is quitting country footy at the end of this season simply because of the abuse he cops from the opposition fans week in week out.

I think a few facts need to be put on the table here to prevent either club from losing face.

* The supporter was not a drunk spectator, rather he was a 60 year old ex official watching the game with his family.
* Two league officials were standing only metres away so any abuse would have been heard and will be taken into account.
*As a neutral spectator on the day I can say the level of crowd involvement from both clubs on the day was minimal. It was not an emotionally charged crowd by any means.
*James up to that point had been fairly well behaved other than the odd spray and to his credit stayed out of trouble after the incident.
*A kangaroo official was straight over to help sort things out after the incident.
*To the credit of both clubs there was no bad blood after the game and both groups mixed comfortably for a few beers afterwards.

I think both clubs should be admired for the way they have handled this, staying out of the media (the last page of this thread aside) and allowing the process to take care of itself. Can we please all just show a little class and allow the investigation to take place without dealing in innuendo. For people that were not even present at the venue to insinuate things that are just not correct is not great for anyone.

I think both clubs should be admired for the way they have handled this, staying out of the media (the last page of this thread aside) and allowing the process to take care of itself. Can we please all just show a little class and allow the investigation to take place without dealing in innuendo. For people that were not even present at the venue to insinuate things that are just not correct is not great for anyone.

Fantastic post... :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So has the investigation been completed and James free to play? No word on what has happened - if anything??

Also Dylan Wright moving to QLD after a good start for the Roos? That is another loss on top of Helmers.

Believe that there will be a hearing next week, but not entirely sure..

The Kangas certainly had a bad week, on top of the loss, they also lost Helmers, Wright and Dan Gregory from the game as well as several key names that missed the game including Meacham, McGovern and Welsh.. So hopefully for the Kangas they get a few back this week.

RDFL Round 5 - Rivalry Round

A massive week in the RDFL with Rivalry Round set to well and truly contain some fireworks and the possible big result!!!

Kilmore Vs Diggers Rest
These two sides have developed a friendly rivalry over the past couple of years, with fierce contests on the field combined with excellent spirit and sportsmanship in the bar afterwards. While most wouldn't have considered this a rivalry game, with this relationship that has developed in the past couple of years, the rivalry is bigger than some think.
The Blues flew back into calculations last week on the back of the Gordon Brothers and Shane Jacobs, with a solid victory away from home against Broadford. While they would be no doubt the talk of the town, over the past two weeks I have been privelidged enough to have interraction with the young players on the Blues list and they have been nothing but impressive. It is these young guys that are going to provide the cornerstone to the turnaround in fortunes for Kilmore, the more senior football they have the opportunity to play, the better they will become.
The Burra are coming off a massive win against the Kangaroos last week. While many were surprised to hear that the Burra had toppled the Roos, the more emphatic message to the rest of the competition was the final margin. Cole Laurie is back in vintage form, Shaun Sims leading from the front and Brett Caton once again showing what makes him one of the best defenders, if not players, in the competition. When you also take into account that Shane Marchewka, who booted 8 goals the week before, missed the game through injury.
This could be a danger game for the Burra coming off such a big win, if they go in even slightly under prepared the Blues could surprise them, especially if their midfield get into the game early. Either way, this will no doubt be a ripping contest for the supporters of both teams.
Result: Diggers Rest by 28 points

Lancefield Vs Romsey
One of the oldest rivalries, not only in the RDFL, but in Victorian football. No matter where these two sides are placed, it is always a fantastic contest.
Result: Romsey win

Macedon Vs Woodend/Hesket
Another age old rivalry played for the Tunn Cup. This game has traditionally been a fantastic contest no matter where these sides sit on the RDFL ladder.
The Cats are flying, top of the ladder and so far have taken all before them. They have several high quality talls that already have had a huge impact in the 2011 season. Meldrum, Fleming, Wilton, Sandle, the list was already impressive, then with Pete Markworth and youngster Mark Strickland stepping up this year, the Cats have been the standout side of the early rounds. The key to the key talls is of course having the ground players to find them. James Wright has picked up where he left off last year, Jason Davies provides drive through the half back line and midfield as well as skipper Tim Dettman who marshals the side across half back. The most impressive qualities of the Cats line up is the discipline instilled by Meldrum in his first season as coach, it picks up from the work done last year and improves it another step.
The Hawks finally picked up that elusive first win last week, and for the benefit of Nothing but Facts, have absolutely no hope what so ever of making finals. Danny Waters has a young list at his fingertips and has a real opportunity to mould a football side into his style. Brendan Fennell has been in fine touch up forward, as has Jim Hepburn, while Jesse Waters continues to show signs as to why he was highly rated when recruited last year. No question about it, the Hawks have a lot of work to do, but as long as they see steady improvement as the season goes on, they will place themselves in a position to be a much improved side by the end of the year. Hopefully the younger guys can continue to come up from the Under 18's and add versatility.
Both of these sides will have a real crack at this game early, the key will be can the Hawks maintain it, with a young side, they will likely drop off and give the Cats the edge.
Result: Macedon by 45 points

Rockbank Vs Melton Centrals
Since returning to the league, the Western Hwy rivals have played in some fantastic contests. With a large majority of each sides players living in the same area, it is inevitable that they cross paths, ensuring that this rivalry is alive every week.
The Rams have impressed everyone that has seen them over the past two weeks, running the Kangaroos to 5 points and then being within a goal of Riddell at 3 quarter time last week before being blown away. Obviously a change in game style has ensured that this group of players have reacted. The Rams have a super talented midfield with Krul, Zerafa, Johns and Jackel, and some very talented youngsters in Leigh Sobotnicki and Jake Armistead. The best thing about reading through the Rams list is that they have several of their key players from past Under 18 sides still around the club, if they can continue this trend they will only get better.
Centrals faced a tough task up against the Cats last week and much like their previous losses, they certainly weren't disgraced. While they don't have the million dollar list, you can be certain when you show up to a game you know exactly what you are going to get from the group. The only critisism I guess I have with Centrals is that at times they try to fill gaps with some key players, meaning they can become unsettled, but if they are able to set up, they are a dangerous proposition. Kane Bullen is a fantastic leader at the club and could be rated in the top ten players in the competition when he is playing his best footy, they need to try and free him up behind the footy in a "Heath Shaw" type role so they can get the most from his drive and talk.
Much of what happens early could have a major impact in the way this game goes. The Rams have been travelling ok in the past two weeks, but they are still two losses, they can't afford to get ahead of themselves. If Centrals are able to structure up, they could give the Rams headaches they may not be able to contain.
Result: Rockbank by 25 points.

Wallan Vs Broadford
Another two clubs that live just up the road from one another. This rivalry, like the one these two have against Kilmore is much to do with bragging rights.
The Magpies have at this stage put themselves in the best position to be the famous "6th" side in the competition. Early doors the recruits, Matty Robertson, Justin Collis, Shannon Galea and Dave Cornish have been great for them. Last week Galea in particular was very impressive. The Magpies took it right up to Romsey during the first 3 quarters and a run of 5 goals in the third term had them well positioned in the game before the Redbacks were able to overrun them. The Magpies also have some impressive youngsters. Rhys Frost and Ben Schraven have both impressed in senior football. Matt Bell gives everything in the ruck. What the Magpies need though is improvement from the second level. If these guys are up and about the Magpies look a much more dangerous proposition. When the heat is on, they need to be able to impact the contest.
Broadford would have been disappointed with last weeks result, they had their first win in a long time a couple of weeks ago and then despite a loss to the Redbacks they showed some great signs. Last week they fell behind a long way before fighting back late, they will need to get out of the blocks this week to give themselves a chance. Broadford have some similar issues to Centrals, where they at times need to plug holes, if they can keep their nerve, they should be able to come through that. Against the Redbacks Grant Wearne played across the midfield, I prefer to see him behind the ball, he reads and uses it very well. Mitch Collier is also impressive, has a strong pair of hands and is one of those players that seems to attract the football, hopefully he stays in a key forward role so that Broadford have that really solid target to kick to.
This game could depend on the stars for the Magpies, if Broadford can make Robertson, Cornish and Galea really work for their possession, they may be able to break the game open the other way. With good runners in the side and the ability to use the footy to space, they could make it a very tough game for Wallan. But shutting down those names as well as Collis could be too much, the Magpies just have enough options.
Result: Wallan by 30 points

Match of the Round
Sunbury Kangaroos Vs Riddell
We have to go back about 5 years to find the source of this rivalry, the Bombers, flying, sat atop the ladder while the Kangaroos were looking for their first ever finals appearance. The Kangaroos upset the premiership favorites in Riddell in what was the best win in the clubs history at that point. The backlash was immense. Riddell went on to win a premiership and the Roos played finals for the first time in their short history. But since then, the Bombers have made it their business to ensure that the Kangaroos were never able to repeat the dose. "The Riddell Curse" has lived on since, even into the 2nd week of finals last year, in terrible conditions the Bombers pummelled the Roos, on their way to another Grand Final, while the Roos were left to fall at the final hurdle for the second time, at the hands of Diggers Rest. There is no doubt that the reigning premiers want to make another statement, while the Roos will be desperate to finally shake the hoodoo. This weeks game is going to be huge.
The Roos are coming off a very disappointing loss at the hands of the Burra. They were unable to get going all day, and despite injuries to several key players, could be nothing but disappointed with that result. After some soul searching this week they will be looking to bounce back with a vengance. The key for the Roos could well be the younger brigade. Matt Leonard, Tie Cuffe and Mitch Strieff, all three have the talent to turn a game on it's head. After a quietish start to the year, look for the big Fish to have a massive impact on this game, with Riddell short of height, Fishenden and Cuffe should be able to have a say (as long as it doesn't rain).
The Bombers have probably faced their worst year for injury in as long as I can remember. They lost two key midfielders already, one before the season began and of course Sammut against the Cats, as well as Ruffell missing up to 6 weeks with back surgery. But in true fashion, the Bombers sit near the top of the ladder once again, the most professional outfit in the RDFL is again one of the sides to beat, maintaining their record of longevity that would be practically unmatched throughout local footy (perhaps with the exception of Sunbury Lions and Gisborne, although the Bulldogs did bottom out last year). They have a list littered with local talent that the Bombers just continually retain, if a player does decide to try his luck elsewhere, you usually see him back sooner rather than later. James Climas, Peter Robertson, Rick Elliot, Nick Ash and the list goes on of players that grew up in a Riddell jumper. If the Bombers weakness this year is height, they haven't shown it yet. Young Dan Campbell has stepped up from the Under 18's in recent weeks and provided another ruck option, while the midfield puts enough pressure on the ball carrier to ensure that the back six has every chance of stopping their opponent.
This game could go either way. The Kangaroos have obviously had a tough week and would like nothing more than to put it behind them, while the Bombers would like to make a statement once again that the Roos have a lot of work to do to catch up.
Should be a cracker!!!
Result: Sunbury Kangaroos by 1 point.

:)Romsey over Lancefield by a lazy 197 pts

Awesome effort by the Redbacks. But on a sour note, appears the big Yak has done a serious knee injury and will miss the rest of the year.

Kangas over Riddell by 13 points
Broadford over Wallan by 5 points
Diggers over Kilmore by 69 points
Macedon over Woodend by 30 points
Rockbank over Melton by 5 points

Awesome effort by the Redbacks. But on a sour note, appears the big Yak has done a serious knee injury and will miss the rest of the year.

Good to see Kangaroos turn it around from last week's debacle against Diggers. Who were the players that really stood up this week ?

I called in to watch the game between woodend and macedon today to see what was a game some what like lastnights pies v cats game, a lot of bad kicking and rotten disposals. Also good to see that the hawks are still the dirtiest team in the RDFL, come on the likes of Riddle and Sunbury can clean the game up sure they can, number 34 on the side of the hawks had me thinking if he was promoted from the under 16 cage fighting team to just bite at a few ankles as he did nothing else for the game but wrestle and walk around looking at the ground. it was only untill the final 10 minutes that macedon started to use the size of the ground and kick away. Some good efforts by number 1 and 6 for the hawks and 1 and 6 for the cats.

The Lancfeild / Romesy join might happen sooner rather than later, that should have maybe happend a few years ago.

I called in to watch the game between woodend and macedon today to see what was a game some what like lastnights pies v cats game, a lot of bad kicking and rotten disposals. Also good to see that the hawks are still the dirtiest team in the RDFL, come on the likes of Riddle and Sunbury can clean the game up sure they can, number 34 on the side of the hawks had me thinking if he was promoted from the under 16 cage fighting team to just bite at a few ankles as he did nothing else for the game but wrestle and walk around looking at the ground. it was only untill the final 10 minutes that macedon started to use the size of the ground and kick away. Some good efforts by number 1 and 6 for the hawks and 1 and 6 for the cats.

So a team full of kids pushes the undefeated team in the league for 3 1/2 quarters and all you can do is bag them. Do us all a favour next time and don't bother calling in to a Hawks game. Oh, by the way, how about you cough up the $2 for a record when you do go to a game so you know who the he'll your watching.....mind you, given your obviously small brain size you probably can't afford it out of your centrelink payments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back