Preview Rd 8 Geelong v Melbourne Sat May 4th 730pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
MOC out, i can finally rest.

Also not sure what Mannagh did to get in the Chris Scott bad books, we didnt draft him to sit in the VFL.
Apart from last week I think O'Connor has been good this year. Mannagh was given an opportunity at AFL and was ok in patches, I think Hardie will be the next debutant. He's been firing all year in the Magoos and is leading in the overall VFL voting. You cannot do more than that.

Dempsey sub to manage his minutes and give us a burst wing player in the second half against tired legs surely makes sense? He dominated quarter 1 against Carlton. He could be even better with a late match assault. And then fresh for next week.

I can see him getting the sub treatment similar to how Clark did prior to his 1 week return to the VFL - he started the season with a bang, but he's seemed a bit quieter over recent weeks where he's drifted in & out of matches

Not going to be critical of his efforts in the wet against Brisbane, but maybe that took a bit out of him and he felt it was last week went on. Playing as sub this week & coming on fresh in the second half could be a really good option

1714640156850.png

Port next Friday night I'm with you I doubt they see any VFL action Sunday.

Would think that anyone who's potentially in line to play Friday night would play no more than half a VFL match - more so as an opportunity to keep match time in the legs without running them into the ground when they may be needed 5 days later

Sunday could be a good watch and see how we manage the likes of Conway, Neale and maybe even Hardie - if they're playing full matches, I doubt we see them against Port

Rohan is logical in the sense that they were going to want to try him soon and it gives dempsey a rest as sub. I doubt hes best 22 but he needs some games in case people get injured.

MOC surprises me more because tactically i figured he would be our run with player on petracca. Will be interesting to see what we do there.

Conway will come in for stanley next week.

Would think that anyone who's potentially in line to play Friday night would play no more than half a VFL match - more so as an opportunity to keep match time in the legs without running them into the ground when they may be needed 5 days later

Sunday could be a good watch and see how we manage the likes of Conway, Neale and maybe even Hardie - if they're playing full matches, I doubt we see them against Port

Parfitt and moc will be held over from vfl and it wouldnt surprise me if hardie or mannagh are too.

Best balanced side we have picked in some time strong on every line.
It's a stretch to call our midfield/ruck combination strong. It's not supported by the numbers. It's obvious from that champion data interview that our game style compensates for the weaker midfield. Cuthrie back in the midfield rotation will help. I'm looking forward to when our young midfielders get more experience and the return of Dangerfield in the second half of the season.

Duncan is my pick for sub this week he has had 6 straight now that included the slog in Brisbane.
I hope you're wrong. His touches have been all class lately in setting up our transition game. Such a quality decision maker - Miers, Holmes, Close, Stengle, Dempsey, Cameron etc who get on the end of his disposals must love him.

Interesting game to loosen up our inside midfield rotations
Atkins starts rather than being the sub so a direct swap for Parfitt in terms of inside mid. Clark is another to run through the middle. MOC being rested suggests that we don't intend to tag.

Rohan is logical in the sense that they were going to want to try him soon and it gives dempsey a rest as sub. I doubt hes best 22 but he needs some games in case people get injured.

MOC surprises me more because tactically i figured he would be our run with player on petracca. Will be interesting to see what we do there.

You playing him then off a short break in Darwin the following week?

I'd say Bowes now plays the run with role if we're going to do so, and he's shown that he can do that while still hurting the opposition himself.

The worry with taggers and why they're not deployed often these days is you're basically playing a man down at stoppages, but trying to take an opposition player down with you.

This nil all draw style worked 10-15 years ago, and still does on occasion in today's game, but coaches are going to prefer a player who can do it while racking it up and/or hurting the opposition himself.

Bowes fits that bill for us, as has Blitz when he's been tasked with that role.

I'd say that would be the only concern in regards to MOC, who admittedly has been terrific on Neale, but that's his main pelt on the wall as of yet.

I hope you're wrong. His touches have been all class lately in setting up our transition game. Such a quality decision maker - Miers, Holmes, Close, Stengle, Dempsey, Cameron etc who get on the end of his disposals must love him.
Mitch missed games last season with Calf and Hamstring injuries just precautionary on my part,long season.

Mitch missed games last season with Calf and Hamstring injuries just precautionary on my part,long season.
But he did a special camp in the US or something didn't he? Along with his biggest pre-season in 6 years, he said. Undoubtedly he'll get managed at some point but I'd rather delay it by a week or two.

In a perfect world, I'd hope skipping the Gold Goast, Essendon and North Melbourne games would be enough for Duncan, management wise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty conservative with the changes. I was hoping to see Neale and/or Hardie get a chance. Not surprised to see O'Connor 'managed' as he didn't look right against Carlton - was spinning his wheels. I'd like to see Rohan get a full game but I bet he is the sub.
The worry for me is the Melbourne's midfield and Gawn, who is a quantum level above Pittonett who dominated for Carlton. However we are still winning even though we lose the midfield battle.
Actually - in terms of ability, yes Gawn is much better than Pittonet. But in terms of outcome - I don’t think Melbourne’s midfield will outperform Carlton’s midfield. Carlton are THE dominant clearance team and they dominated us.

And we learned a good lesson about that. I don’t think the same will happen to us two weeks in a row.

But he did a special camp in the US or something didn't he? Along with his biggest pre-season in 6 years, he said. Undoubtedly he'll get managed at some point but I'd rather delay it by a week or two.

In a perfect world, I'd hope skipping the Gold Goast, Essendon and North Melbourne games would be enough for Duncan, management wise.

I thought that was Cam who went to the USA as part of his pre-season rehab?

Wasn't sure if Demi would let Mitch take that sort of time away with 3 little ones at home and a 4th on the way 😉

Wasn't sure if Demi would let Mitch take that sort of time away with 3 little ones at home and a 4th on the way 😉

Yeah I remember about Cam too, I think Mitch's might have been a separate deal? Maybe an excuse to recharge away from the kids for a bit as well!

He was in Colorado to undertake a strengthening program.

Good team to take on the Dees.
With no MOC, I expect Blics to go to Petracca at stoppages like that 2022 game.
Maybe Hawk plays on May like he did Weitering while Rohan sticks close to Lever to negate their intercept game.
Stanley follows Gawn all day.
Then that’s it, their 4 match winners taken care of. Let Cameron, Guthrie, Holmes, Stewart et al do the rest.
I’m more confident this week than the Carlton game.

Good team to take on the Dees.
With no MOC, I expect Blics to go to Petracca at stoppages like that 2022 game.
Maybe Hawk plays on May like he did Weitering while Rohan sticks close to Lever to negate their intercept game.
Stanley follows Gawn all day.
Then that’s it, their 4 match winners taken care of. Let Cameron, Guthrie, Holmes, Stewart et al do the rest.
I’m more confident this week than the Carlton game.
Last week was the first time this year I wasn’t sure if we’d win.
Prior to every game is was extremely confident

This weekend is abit meh for me, I’m confident we will win but won’t be shattered if we lose

This word " Managed " I don't understand.. as the 2 players who are Managed are listed as Emergencies... Wouldn't you not list them at all to give them a rest/Managed

I think Managed is giving them.a week off
They could play but you're trying to manage their loading, so you can still play them in an emergency. Not sure it's that inconsistent

Pretty conservative with the changes. I was hoping to see Neale and/or Hardie get a chance. Not surprised to see O'Connor 'managed' as he didn't look right against Carlton - was spinning his wheels. I'd like to see Rohan get a full game but I bet he is the sub.
The worry for me is the Melbourne's midfield and Gawn, who is a quantum level above Pittonett who dominated for Carlton. However we are still winning even though we lose the midfield battle.

I'm bookmarking Neale in for Darwin against Gold Coast and Conway back against Port.

4th on the way? Jeebas he's courageous. I need to see a vet before that happens to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back