AFLW Rd 7 GWS vs Geelong, Fri. 15th March @ UNSW Canberra Oval, 7:15pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Effort on goes so far... once the energy drops it gets tough... and tonight one can really see they are flat. It highlights the lack of skill.

Wish we could clone both McMahon and McDonald and put one of them in the forward line. Our backline is great, our midfield has its moments but our forward line is diabolical.

I’ve never heard a commentator say at a men’s game that they need a shower or they’ve picked up bottles. Get with the attitude shift Montagna. Bad luck caters, no flow, poor skills and teamwork but you all tried your guts out and a great job in debut season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wish we could clone both McMahon and McDonald and put one of them in the forward line. Our backline is great, our midfield has its moments but our forward line is diabolical.
Boyd has been very disappointing this year - after kicking the first goal for the club, not sure i can remember too many other genuinely positive impacts up forward

I’ve never heard a commentator say at a men’s game that they need a shower or they’ve picked up bottles. Get with the attitude shift Montagna. Bad luck caters, no flow, poor skills and teamwork but you all tried your guts out and a great job in debut season.

What? ... Ive moved on to Ice Station Zebra so I must have missed that insightful platitude..

Boyd has been very disappointing this year - after kicking the first goal for the club, not sure i can remember too many other genuinely positive impacts up forward

I think she does her best work at CHF leading up to the wings. Oddly enough, that's how she got the first goal - from a 50m penalty after taking a mark up the ground and someone running through the protected zone.

The score over the comp are low ... so as a general trend the girls find it harder to score than to stop score.

It tends to be easier to stop scores when 5 of the 6 forwards generally don't present and the plan going forward is generally to bomb it long to the 6th.

What? ... Ive moved on to Ice Station Zebra so I must have missed that insightful platitude..
Stick with Ernest Borgnine, used to love him in that Uboats thing.
Losing like that doesn't put me in the mood to listen to that patronising drivel. There's enough players to interview, or show a goal replay for God's sake....instead of wracking on about the gator aid. Probably on commision. Plus they were riding GWS coat tails all night, always reminds me of Robert Walls backing a winner and then jumping teams when the leader changed. And the umpiring was sheet.
:poo::(:rolleyes::drunk::shoutyoldman:

In relation to the conference farce, it would be ludicrous if a team with a 5-2 record and a percentage of over 130% doesn't make finals, and a team with a 3-4 record and a percentage of 65% does.

4qts and no goals none after half time last week

Says it all about the past two weeks.

Been very frustrating to watch, often pinned in our own defensive half for long stretches, then caught behind when someone finally does get a clearing kick.

Our ball use and decision making let us down tonight; stats at one stage showed that we were only marginally behind on the I50 count, and slightly behind, and ahead in contested possessions and clearances respectively - and yet we had barely scored to that point.

I'll pick out an individual as an example representative of the woes of the group; Julia Crockett-Mills - tough girl, has decent enough skills and gets in the right spots - but she consistently overruns the ball, drops marks and turns the ball over, rendering her hard work mostly redundant. If she'd just had a bit more composure and concentration she could have had a big night.

We don't really deserve a finals spot given the evidence presented over the past two weeks, yet if we do happen to fall into the finals then we can probably expect a quick exit - but it's all experience that this group desperately needs, so I'll take it.

Well that was a bit of a disappointing result. There are too many holes in the game we're playing currently, and when the opposition finds them it's all over but the crying (unless Harris forgets her kicking boots).

It was good to have the chance to support Geelong here. I swear our record in Canberra is deeply terrible, though.

If we do now make finals, our last two weeks of footy suggest that consigning Brisbane to the lowest score ever in AFLW will become a very short-lived record.

Would be exceedingly generous now to say that we're 'just going'. Have fallen off a cliff and showing no signs of wresting back the momentum.

Very proud of the girls for so much of the season. But the last fortnight has been a crushing disappointment.

**"bonus" Hannah-watch post**

Hannah Burchell finally made her AFLW debut tonight; I haven't got stats from the game yet but I'd guess she touched it around 8ish times ...

Spoiled her good work on a couple of occasions with 2 poor kicks into 50 which were rebounded with disdain - in fact her first kick indirectly led to the Giant's first goal. I did also see her rush a field kick uneccessarily later in the game; she had more time than she thought and just booted it indiscriminately.

However there were a few moments when she reminded me of her potential; she positions herself well and bobs up in space more often than most.
She can use it well, a couple of deft handballs showed her natural inclination to link up with teammates. I like her and Orr up around the wings, they add a bit of dash and cheek.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back