AFLW Rd 6 Geelong vs Fremantle Sat. 9th March @ GMHBA, 2:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

We handball backwards too much and lack pace. Caris is quite ordinary too.

At least we have a dip but we couldn't sustain it in the last half but the fitness will come after another pre-season.

Still a fair effort considering. And we can still play finals which will be a massive achievement.

Can't argue any of that - considering that before the season we were favourites for the wooden spoon, I get the impression that the media was expecting majority of our season to be how we played the second half yesterday, and that just hasn't been the case.

Next week is going to be super important for the team - win & we play finals, but more so in terms of how we respond from out second half yesterday.

The team has to learn from yesterday but they can't afford to be thinking too much about that performance because it will impact on Friday nights match; what they need to do is learn from what went wrong, look at what went right during the first quater from yesterday & the match against the Lions & bring that to the match against GWS

Can't argue any of that - considering that before the season we were favourites for the wooden spoon, I get the impression that the media was expecting majority of our season to be how we played the second half yesterday, and that just hasn't been the case.

Next week is going to be super important for the team - win & we play finals, but more so in terms of how we respond from out second half yesterday.

The team has to learn from yesterday but they can't afford to be thinking too much about that performance because it will impact on Friday nights match; what they need to do is learn from what went wrong, look at what went right during the first quater from yesterday & the match against the Lions & bring that to the match against GWS
I'm not sure how the conference thing works but if we finish 2nd in group B does that mean we play the winner of group A?

I'm not sure how the conference thing works but if we finish 2nd in group B does that mean we play the winner of group A?

Yep

Adelaide finish off with matches against the Giants (home) and Demons (away) - but not sure they are going to be challenged too much in either match, so expecting them to finish top of the ladder, plus they have the superior percentage to all other teams 178.1

Second place in Conference A looks likely to be decided around 9pm next Saturday: Freo vs North at Fremantle Oval; winner plays finals & loser is most likely out unless the Crows lose both matches

So it could be a rematch against the Crows at Norwood (I believe the most likely scenario if we make finals) or if we finish top it will be either a rematch of yesterday or the 2 new teams facing off for the first time this year

Watched the replay...

The effort and skill level dropped off a cliff after 1/2 time.
Not sure if its fatigue of season, better opposition, our poor skills... or d.... all the above.

REgardless, they still had a crack and thats impressive in itself.
My girl had a decent hit out again and she still made her touches count.

Was a bit let down IMO by some of the leaders....McWilliams, Hickey, Rocky.... just not in it today it seemed.

Anyway... onto next week.

Go Catters

Anyone recall either of these incidents?

GEELONG duo Denby Taylor and Georgie Rankin are free to play in Friday night’s must-win final round AFLW clash against the GWS Giants after being offered reprimands for incidents in the weekend’s loss to Fremantle.

Taylor was cited by the Match Review Officer for rough conduct on Kara Donnellan in the final quarter of Saturday’s match at GMHBA Stadium.

The incident was assessed as careless conduct with low impact to the head.

Rankin was also charged with rough conduct for a last term incident.

Her contact on Ashlee Atkins was assessed as careless conduct with low impact to the head.

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/gee...AnEQUUHMblrubwKuQ88VgNECrVtRiMN9WiXb6O_z6pNkU

Anyone recall either of these incidents?

GEELONG duo Denby Taylor and Georgie Rankin are free to play in Friday night’s must-win final round AFLW clash against the GWS Giants after being offered reprimands for incidents in the weekend’s loss to Fremantle.

Taylor was cited by the Match Review Officer for rough conduct on Kara Donnellan in the final quarter of Saturday’s match at GMHBA Stadium.

The incident was assessed as careless conduct with low impact to the head.

Rankin was also charged with rough conduct for a last term incident.

Her contact on Ashlee Atkins was assessed as careless conduct with low impact to the head.

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/gee...AnEQUUHMblrubwKuQ88VgNECrVtRiMN9WiXb6O_z6pNkU

I do recall two Freo players clutching their heads in separate incidents, both in the last quarter ... tbh I thought the Docker girls were bunging it on a bit ...

AFLCA votes from our match - and I'm actually surprised:

GEELONG v FREMANTLE

10 Kiara Bowers (FRE)
7 Dana Hooker (FRE)
6 Hayley Miller (FRE)
5 Gemma Houghton (FRE)
1 Stephanie Cain (FRE)
1 Maddy McMahon (GEEL)

Well done to Maddy, but I thought for sure that Freo was going to clean sweep it like the Crows did in our match (I don't have my tally on this computer, will post an updated total shortly)

But do most agree that unless something totally crazy happens, the winner of the AFLCA is pretty clear cut:

FULL LEADERBOARD

43 Erin Phillips
36 Kiara Bowers
32 Karen Paxman
30 Ebony Marinoff
29 Dana Hooker

Our AFLCA totals:

McDonald - 12 (5 v Pies, 5 v Dogs, 2 v Blues)
Cranston - 12 (5 v Blues, 7 v Lions)
McMahon - 12 (8 v Blues, 3 v Lions, 1 v Freo)
Morrison - 10 (v Pies)
Darby - 10 (v Lions)
Purcell - 8 (1 v Dogs, 7 v Lions)
Keryk - 3 (1 v Pies, 2 v Blues)
Boyd - 1 (v Pies)
Taylor - 1 (v Blues)

We currently have a 3 way tie for leading vote getter - who will break away this week or will we finish with joint leaders?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6 rounds down and 5 times in team of the week - surely Meg McDonald is a lock in the AFLW team of the year. And congratulations to her partner in crime, Maddy McMahon, not sure if that's her second or third selection:

Defenders: Ash Brazill (Collingwood), Ellie Brush (GWS), Kate Lutkins (Brisbane), Meg McDonald (Geelong), Hannah Scott (Western Bulldogs)

Key back McDonald (22 disposals) was another to emerge with her reputation intact after a swarm of inside-50 entries, while Lutkins (20 disposals, eight rebound 50s and seven tackles) was back to her best.

Interchange: Britt Bonnici (Collingwood), Jenna Bruton (North Melbourne), Emma Grant (Collingwood), Alicia Eva (GWS), Maddy McMahon (Geelong)

Bruton (19 and five clearances), Eva (20 and six rebound-50s) and McMahon (17 and seven rebound-50s) round out the team.

The Regulars:
(Players who have been selected three or more times this season. Sixty-seven players have featured in the Team of the Week in 2019)
Jess Duffin (North Melbourne) – 5
Meg McDonald (Geelong) – 5
Erin Phillips (Adelaide) – 5
Maddy Prespakis (Carlton) – 5

6 rounds down and 5 times in team of the week - surely Meg McDonald is a lock in the AFLW team of the year. And congratulations to her partner in crime, Maddy McMahon, not sure if that's her second or third selection:

Defenders: Ash Brazill (Collingwood), Ellie Brush (GWS), Kate Lutkins (Brisbane), Meg McDonald (Geelong), Hannah Scott (Western Bulldogs)

Key back McDonald (22 disposals) was another to emerge with her reputation intact after a swarm of inside-50 entries, while Lutkins (20 disposals, eight rebound 50s and seven tackles) was back to her best.

Interchange: Britt Bonnici (Collingwood), Jenna Bruton (North Melbourne), Emma Grant (Collingwood), Alicia Eva (GWS), Maddy McMahon (Geelong)

Bruton (19 and five clearances), Eva (20 and six rebound-50s) and McMahon (17 and seven rebound-50s) round out the team.

The Regulars:
(Players who have been selected three or more times this season. Sixty-seven players have featured in the Team of the Week in 2019)
Jess Duffin (North Melbourne) – 5
Meg McDonald (Geelong) – 5
Erin Phillips (Adelaide) – 5
Maddy Prespakis (Carlton) – 5
Alas, poor Nina.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back